2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Caedrus

Welcome to the 2020 Wyrd Painting Challenge!

This is the thread for the March Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I have the very great pleasure of being your host for 2020. While I am proud to be your host, this competition belongs to all of us, and if there’s anything that we can better to improve the Challenge, please do let me know.

March is here, and in Australia, that means the end of summer (and this has been one to forget!). For our Northern hemisphere folks, spring has sprung! March is named for Mars, the God of War. Its flower is the daffodil, and (one of) the March stone is aquamarine. Let's get out there and paint a yellow and blue warrior! Or you could combine the two and make a nice green, fitting for St. Patrick!

The link to the painter spreadsheet is HERE, and I’ll update the February numbers in the next few days.

The 2020 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 Soulstone worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2020. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan. See the Buy-Back rule, below.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

A new rule for 2020: The Buy-Back

Everyone has good months and bad months. To encourage people to continue to paint, we will be trying out a new rule this year: the Buy-Back. In the past, if you have used your two mulligans, you’re out of the Challenge!

However, in 2020, you can buy your way back into the challenge. All you have to do is to undertake your normal pledge and paint for the month, AND undertake the pledge and paint from one of the months you mulliganed.

E.g.: Sarah is painting at Enforcer level (6SS/month), and she’s needed to mulligan for the third time. She announces that for the upcoming month, she’ll paint 12SS. If she does so, she’s back in the Challenge!

At such a time, it might be worthwhile considering dropping down a category, but that’s up to Sarah!

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.
  • Markers count for 2 soulstones if they're flat, or 5 soulstones if they're 3D and fancy

Terrain

• ·       Scatter Piece (5SS): A modest piece of terrain, or a small number of scattered terrain pieces. These are the spray-can and dry-brush pieces.
  • ·       Focus Piece (10SS): A terrain piece that represents a focal point of pride in a terrain board. These pieces require a decent amount of construction and painting.
  • ·       Centre Piece (20SS): A terrain piece that is a significant centrepiece to the terrain. A handmade forest, a mausoleum, or a train engine.
  • ·       Masterpiece (50SS): A gorgeous, unique terrain piece that makes people wonder if you get out much.
  • ·       War and Peace (100SS): A complete, themed 3’x3’ terrain board.

My very best for March, and 2020!

Caedrus.

• Like 1

For March I'm gonna try and finish the Nightmare and the Urami Keywords. To finish Urami I just need to do 3x Gaki and Nightmare I need to do 3x Insidious madness, 3x alp and a carver.

To be honest I probably wont get all that done but I'm thinking big and whats left over can spill in to April

Gyoys5Q.jpg9Yil9yO.jpg

• Like 5

I wanted to paint something colourful, so I primed a rooster rider. They are fun models.

Two weeks ago, I randomly found Lilith's avatar at a mini store, so I bought it. That thing was almost impossible to glue together, but it's done. I haven't decided yet, if I'll add wings on Lilith, might look nice.

IMG_20200302_183802.jpg
IMG_20200229_171500.jpg

• Like 8

With Adepticon around the corner I’m pledging to round out my January and February pledges to build some fully painted crews. Pledging 3 Rooster Riders and 2 Bayou Smugglers, also have the Lucky Effigy and Lucky Emissary as stretch goals. Really want to be able to field 50ss worth of painted models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ended up quickly finishing Fenton Brahms:

yWp4DfB.jpg

JX3bTbe.jpg

That's all my CotBM minis complete!  I'll post a group photo when I finish the fireteam bases.  Almost wish I was taking them to Adepticon to compete again.

Alas, I am taking Kirai to compete in the Malifaux tournament, so I'm pledging two Goryo and Toshiro the Daimyo:

BJURHHO.png

I may go back to the Family tag for some stretch goals, but I have a lot of Warcry terrain to finish as well.

Happy painting, all!

• Like 8

Hey there! So March is here and some cool models are coming to the painting table:

* Carrion emissary: 10 SS. Beautiful and massive model, I really like its aura of decay during the game. 

* Dead rider: 11 SS. I'm not really sold with this one, the model is cool but the few times I've used it, it underperformed. On the other hand, it might be me underperforming.

* Mary "Blacktongue" Bonnet (Molly): 15 SS. My second Resus master! Still trying to master Von Schtook, but will give her a go once her keyword is done.

* Wayward Mariner (Necrotic Machine): 3 SS. Possibly the coolest model in the box, and since the totem is free I think it has to be always the second model from the starter to be painted.

* Mani and the Voice (Phillip and the Nanny): 8 SS. This is the only model I like less than the regular one... oh well.

The total will be 47 SS (a lot for few models).

@Stranglelove Liking the flames and overall palette on Brahms. Best of luck with filthy ressers👍

____

WIPpery is afoot:

pic5268471.jpg

Reasonably happy with the woodgrain. Looks nice enough 'live'. Currently working on flames, you see two smaller bits of flame painted to completion here. Tried out a few different ways to do them. Still not sure which I prefer. Or maybe I'll mix both :) Either way, there's a few layers of blue/white to go before I move onto the skin. And yes, I know the fire is painted wrong. Don't care, I dig the look:P

All in all a laborious mini. Flames wrapping around, woodgrain everywhere. Just the act of getting the brush everywhere, bah. But I'm liking where I'm heading. Took two evenings to get to this point. I estimate another 2-3 to the finish line. We'll see how long it takes for me to get to those evenings though.

Have a good one, everyone!

• Like 8