Where to go next?

Regelridderen

Arcanists or Thunders  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I'm up to a decent collection of crews right now – none of them sees enough game time, and most are just collecting dust, but I like the painting and collecting as well, and I can always dream of putting them on the board, and as I'm just about to finish up my forgotten, I'm ready for my next project.

So current collection involves :

GUILD Family, Marshalls, Elite and Witch Hunter

RESSURS Experimental, Redchapel and Forgotten.

NEVERBORN Woes, Nightmares and Elite

Stylistically in board games my first choice always involves some badass hero wielding a giant sword, hence my first buys were Family and Marshalls. but one-dimensional play styles like that quickly become stale. I want something, that involves build-up and synergy, where all your pieces plays a part. I mostly want to play within keywords, as the model concepts are half the attractiontion of Malifaux.

My playstyle leans more towards the Neverborn, I like Pandoras convoluted and oppressive style, the cascading nightmare of Dreamer, they feel very true to their concpet – and I believe the underhanded tactics of Lucius and his investigators will be a hoot as well.

Neverborn however, only seem to play half the game. They're very good at killing, but positioning, laying down markers, messing with markers is just as important. And in a tournament environment that rarely makes it to turn 5, the kill first/win later -strategy is somewhat challenged.

Where to go then? I'm looking for some cool concepts and found that I like Arcanists Ironsides oppressed union workers of the M&SU, can't go much cooler than picket lines and molotovs. I'm also a little intrigued by Collette, but probably more the Nightmare creepy circus version of her crew. However the arcanists seems very focused on models like miners and spider swarms that maybe work well mechanically, but thematically lacks personality.

My other direction involves the Ten Thunders, Yan Lo would just be a natural extension of my Ressurs and the more Kung Phoo'ey direction of his concept art looks cool, and he has an interesting mechanic that none of my other crews offer. And since everyone loves ninjas, Misaki is an offer, that's hard to turn down. Plus, they offer dragons and Yasunori, that are pretty cool models. They just haven't got a unique Malifaux'ey twist – which might be okay, as I like the whole 80's Hong Kong flick thing.

So with all that said, what's your take and advice? :)

Depending on your painting skills, you could start painting crews for others for a fee.

Marcus could be interesting for all sorts of beastly troops (that give you models for other crews as well).

Yan Lo seems promising, but he doesn't have a core box yet? Definitely seems like a combo-oriented/synergy-based crew. Transmortis is worth a look too as they have a lot of cool combos and trigger shenanigans.

One thing you could do is wait for Gaining Grounds 1 and see what the changes are and if anything strikes your fancy (for instance, maybe a crew matches some of the new strategies?)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Yan Lo seems promising

he's proven to be very strong.

I would say that if Regelridderen is undecided between Arcanists and Ten Thunders and he likes kung fu (Yan) and working class heroes (Toni) than the best he can do is to buy Mei Feng :D And that will eventually lead him to Bayou :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

he's proven to be very strong.

I would say that if Regelridderen is undecided between Arcanists and Ten Thunders and he likes kung fu (Yan) and working class heroes (Toni) than the best he can do is to buy Mei Feng :D And that will eventually lead him to Bayou :D

Everything has a beginning and an end – in a soggy 'gator infested swamp.

I can wait for Yan – I've got a bunch of Infinity models begging for some attention – it's more a question of advice, when it comes to playstyle. 

My thoughts are that Dreamer is currently wrecking face.  Summoners are always excellent schemers (just having more actions) and he is tearing up the tournament scene.  If you want to win more,  focusing on a Dreamer crew is probably going to be the best way for you.  I'd just deep dive Dreamer until you can consistently win tournament games with him.    

The other advantage is once you're good enough to win tournaments with Dreamer, you'll learn what you need to know about a crew to win with them, and it'll inform your list building choices.  I think it's a good choice.  I don't fear a crew that "counters mine" piloted by someone who is still reading their own cards to learn what their models do.  I would be much warier of a Perdita player who wasn't even reading her cards and just declared actions.

Plus Neverborn do have a crew of "awesome lady with big sword" (hi Nekima!) and I hear she's not half bad.  Although there's a big problem of "she's missing huge portions of her crew" if you're looking to buy boxes.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 2:58 PM, RisingPhoenix said:

Plus Neverborn do have a crew of "awesome lady with big sword" (hi Nekima!) and I hear she's not half bad.  Although there's a big problem of "she's missing huge portions of her crew" if you're looking to buy boxes.  

She doesn't have a box, but she has a 3e single model release.  Hayreddin is only available in 2e right now, same with BBS and matures.  She's also on a big downswing due to the changes in GG1, specifically her own defenses and her aura.

6 hours ago, Nagi21 said:

She doesn't have a box, but she has a 3e single model release.  Hayreddin is only available in 2e right now, same with BBS and matures.  She's also on a big downswing due to the changes in GG1, specifically her own defenses and her aura.

That was written pre-GG1.  I dunno in the post-GG1 era, I think it's too early to fully evaluate (builds and masters tend to get rediscovered).  Although I agree that the Enraged by Insolence thing makes no sense.  So you specifically used the symbol for "model inclusive" (:aura) rather than "this model exclusive" (:new-Pulse:).  But it's okay, it wasn't meant to apply to this model anyway.  There's some stealth nerfs in the errata, or if there isn't they needed to look at the effects of them and rewrite them.  Nekima getting a free charge off killing a nephilim is a great trade off (especially since I can dodge it with good positioning some of the time, forcing us both to use positioning).  The errata version is dumb.

I dunno, I think what the Neverborn are suffering from right now is an awful lot of one-trick ponies.  Actually outside of Dreamer and maybe Marcus, I'd say that all of their masters are some flavor of one-trick pony.  While a few of those are good in any faction, an entire faction of them is weird.  You gotta rock/paper/scissors well.  I think they can still be a good faction, often by preying on metagames, but I think Wyrd should either errata or release some new models to give a faction more than two generalist masters (Titania and Nekima are good choices).  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RisingPhoenix said:

I dunno, I think what the Neverborn are suffering from right now is an awful lot of one-trick ponies.  Actually outside of Dreamer and maybe Marcus, I'd say that all of their masters are some flavor of one-trick pony.  While a few of those are good in any faction, an entire faction of them is weird.  You gotta rock/paper/scissors well.  I think they can still be a good faction, often by preying on metagames, but I think Wyrd should either errata or release some new models to give a faction more than two generalist masters (Titania and Nekima are good choices).  

Eh I dunno about that.  Every crew has a main trick, the issue I think is that a lot of NVB crews don't have good ways to enable said trick.  I mean look at Ironsides.  Her main trick is melee bubble, but she has options to drag you in kicking and screaming.  Nekima is basically... go at them and if they don't let you... scheme?  Dreamer doesn't really have a trick, he's very general aside from his summoning.  Zoraida was also a very good generalist master due to her main mechanic.  Problem is, people complained because they were too good at everything and here we are.  There's just no depth or subtlety, and each crew (Dreamer aside) has glaring weaknesses... and I mean big ones.  Euri is big and squishy, Nekima is squishier, Luci has issues due to obey changes and lacks punch, Titania is painfully slow, Dora has extremely underwhelming minions and her main trick is meh, and Zoraida has been reworked so much I'm terrified about the next DMH removals...

• Agree 1