Null and Void- Tara Tactica

Rygnan

43 minutes ago, Adran said:

One reason to give the enemy model fast is because some of the crew has "Time is meaningless" giving bonuses against models with fast (And Beyond time to allow them to attack it while buried).

You are right that if they unbury from Glimpse the void because they activate, they don't count as activating close enough to a model to set off Age to Destruction, or buffering.

(Of course Aionius could always unbury that model during his turn somewhere where the crew could use that fast to unbury, or somewhere that the age to destruction would happen).

I can't tell you the right way to use him, because I don't think there is a right way. I haven't used him since the errata, but I also tried using him during playtesting when he didn't have buffering, and its possible to work on only making enemy models that have already activated fast, and unburying that way.  (Or you might already be outnumbered, so you have pass tokens anyway).

Its certainly not wrong to try using Bury as a taxi service for him, to save him from walking, but its not the only way. Karina can move him ~4" forward if she wants by burying him, and then walking and unburying him, or he can spend the first turn getting to a useful place ready for the rest of the game. I sometimes hire a student of Conflict so I can give a friendly model fast and use that for unburying.  Don't rely on just 1 tactic, as they are all subject to your opponent trying to stop it, but tray and have at least 1 back up plan.

Yeh used a scavenger last time as it s weird device can hand out fast and provide a little card cycle. May try a student and a prospector and drop to 2 stones instead of a scavenger and 6 stones

• 5 months later...

In my opinion Tara is still our best schemey keyword in faction. She isn't as good since the errata & GG1 (not top tier anymore) but definitely fills a gap we have in Outcasts but only in a very specific scheme/strat pool. Also she does have some bad matchups (mostly very aggressive mobile crews - e.g. Nephilim), a good opponent will just target Karina & Aionus which really hampers her crew. With that said she is still the master that I have had most success/wins with but don't expect to win big (on diff).

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid playing into Guild, they have one model that can be hell for Tara.

Thirdfloorwars did a podcast on Tara, definately worth a listen.

Tara can activate twice which is awesome, but could leave you vulnerable if you over commit.

Read and re read the rules for burying..

7 hours ago, Tsinner said:

Tara can activate twice which is awesome, but could leave you vulnerable if you over commit.

Speaking as a Molly player, that extra activation without a pass token can be game breaking.

You can guarantee last activation on turn one (or two last activations on turn one if you win initiative).

You can cause a lot of damage without retaliation with good setup!

21 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Speaking as a Molly player, that extra activation without a pass token can be game breaking.

You can guarantee last activation on turn one (or two last activations on turn one if you win initiative).

You can cause a lot of damage without retaliation with good setup!

Technically with Aionus you generate pass tokens (thank god they nerfed it a bit). So you can basically almost finish playing every turn with several models.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am presently looking at playing Tara and have a question.

If I hire the Student of Conflict, can she be used to remove Slow on the second activation of Tara? I explain:

If I activate Tara during the Turn, I know that she will be gaining Slow at the start of her second activation. In between, the Student uses Covetous Cravings to give Fast to Tara. As a Master, Tara already has three actions and can't use Fast. But in this case, at the start of her second activation, she will gain Fast and Slow that mutually cancel each other and Tara has now three actions to use on her second activation.

Please confirm if I am right and do you think that hiring the Student (4+1 Soulstones) for that is worth the result.

4 hours ago, Vangerdahast said:

I am presently looking at playing Tara and have a question.

If I hire the Student of Conflict, can she be used to remove Slow on the second activation of Tara? I explain:

If I activate Tara during the Turn, I know that she will be gaining Slow at the start of her second activation. In between, the Student uses Covetous Cravings to give Fast to Tara. As a Master, Tara already has three actions and can't use Fast. But in this case, at the start of her second activation, she will gain Fast and Slow that mutually cancel each other and Tara has now three actions to use on her second activation.

Please confirm if I am right and do you think that hiring the Student (4+1 Soulstones) for that is worth the result.

you are right.If you give Tara fast, then it will counter the slow she gained on her second activation. 

Personally I don't think  its worth it. I like the student in the crew (The fast is a safety unbury on a friendly model), but I don't think an extra action on Tara is the best extra action for the crew. (This does depend a little on what you are playign and what ypou can get the student near, its 2 actions to give out fast, 1 to drop a scheme marker and 1 to turn it to fast, so the student can fall behind the crew if you're not careful, even with its free push. 

• Like 1

I know it's been posted elsewhere but I thought I'd give those who are new to Tara, an easy three step recipe to her unique "beast bomb" strategy. I've seen several variations of how to get it to work, but this is the one I play most of the time.

I know it's not going to be a "must do every game" kind of strategy but it's a lot of fun and I really enjoy having this as an option in Tara's tool box.

Ingredients required:

- Nothing Beast + Servants of the Dark Power upgrade

- Aionus + Servants of the Dark Power upgrade

- Hodgepodge Emissary

Steps:

Step 0: You'll want Aionus, NB and Emissary deployed close together (Emissary and Aionus especially). Pre-game, move Aionus and NB 6” with SotDP upgrade.

Step1: Emissary puts companion trinket on NB then pushes Aionus 3” forward using a weary road then walks towards Aionus (dont forget the +1 MV)

Step2: Aionus buries the NB using studder time and charges forward (with +1 Mv thanks to the nearby emissary) and attacks the buried NB, giving it fast (and hopefully only 1 damage). Then he uses sever timeline to unbury the now fast NB 3” away (try and get the trigger). This potentially places NB touching the opponents deployment zone.

Step3: Companion activate the fast NB (hopefully using one of Aionus’ pass tokens). Give your target fast via studder time and then proceed to obliterate it up to three times.

Optional: if your within range, you can instead bury Aionus if you feel he’s in a vulnerable spot using the NB studder time. Or use storm of shadows to gain some cover if facing a ranged heavy crew.

Cards/Flips Needed

(6+) Plenty of Wares

(4+) Stutter Time

(7+)(:crowideally) Sever Timeline

Optional (4+) or (5+) for Storm of Shadows or Stutter Time

On average you'll top deck most of what you need and will likely need to reserve a soulstone and/or cheat in for Sever Timeline.

Tips:

Try and utilize the 2” range to lock down as many models as possible as your likely going to be in the thick of it and will need to ride out the storm until you can safely bury/attack again.

You can also use storm of shadows combined with friendly fire to prevent straight flips on focused attacks if the opponent decides to shoot into the engagement.

Otherwise you can potentially get a summoned void model to run up and bury the NB using studder time if you are really concerned.

You can also use a pass token to force the opponent to pass (Aionus) if the fast model you have engaged tries to activate and is a particular threat. This will buy you another turn to try and bury the NB is your afraid of retaliation. However, a savvy opponent may see this coming and simply activate something else. This still may not be a bad thing, though.

This tactic uses one activation for setup (the emissary) before it can be used. However this will still foreshadow enough for the opponent to see what’s coming and react accordingly. Throwing a model to engage Aionus before he can activate is one counter to this strategy. Also Aionus is pretty squishy and likely very far forward and potentially exposed, vulnerable to an alpha strike. Be aware of these counters   

With SotDP and A Weary Road, your able to drop a scheme marker 9" up the board with almost no effort. The marker is incidental to the overall beast bomb strategy but if you can pick a scheme to utilize it, then that's a big bonus.  

Bon Apetit!

• Thanks 1

It's also worth another look into the "wanted criminal" upgrade. It can easily be overlooked as something not worthwhile for an Obliteration crew. However I think there is some interesting synergy that is often overlooked.

Looking at the minions first. Both the void wretch and void hunter gain access to swagger. Not only is it hilarious to think of the visual mechanics of how one of these monsters emit "swagger" but aside from that they have a few interesting interactions with Beyond Time and Time is Meaningless. 

With swagger they can slowly march across the board to accomplish schemes, while still being able to make use of the focused attacks against buried models. This allows them to run schemes and contribute to combat, all while staying safe and away from threats. Obviously this is much more effective on the Hunters than the Wretches. As an added benefit, they get a double positive to the attack flip if attacking a fast model with focus. Thats pretty good efficiency.

The other interesting thing to look at is the Expert Thief attack action on the upgrade which again can be utilized via Beyond Time and Time is Meaningless. If a fast soulstone user is buried, then your looking at a stat 5 attack, with positives, on a 4ss model, which can attack from anywhere on the board. Again, that is pretty damn good for a Wretch, but less good for the Hunter.

For added hilarity, you can use this upgrade on Tara with her 5Ap and try and strip a buried opponent of all their stones in a single activation. It's probably not a great use of Tara's AP but it is pretty amusing. It works much better on the aforementioned Wretch/Hunter models.

Thematically it makes no sense and is downright hilarious to think of these void demons as thieving criminals with stylish swagger. That makes it worth it all by itself :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 6 months later...

Ok, so real talk, is there a Strategy in GG2 people aren't taking Tara in? I've found a couple of scheme pools that occasionally incline me towards another Master, but even then it's tough competition. Certainly there isn't a Strategy that outright rules her out in my view. Turf War is probably her worst?

I've played a decent variety of Outcast Masters in GG2 so far, but my rationale for picking any of them over Tara has never been "I want to win this game"...

On 6/16/2021 at 1:35 AM, Azahul said:

Ok, so real talk, is there a Strategy in GG2 people aren't taking Tara in?

Not really. It turns out that tempo and positioning abilities are just always good.

There are scheme pools and matchups that other keywords like better, and she has some distinct holes in her kit (minimal ranged damage, situational offensive repositioning, relatively low survivability, etc). 

I think Von Schill is the other one I'd drop into any pool - I just don't like his aesthetic though.