Fatemaster Friday - Jumping in with both feet

Kimberly

Heya Breachers!

I’m gearing up for some travel, so this week my topic is about a question I see often enough on this forum and the TTB Facebook group. Most recently @Harlekin asked a variation of this. Here’s his forum post:

As we are always looking for oneshots, mainly to see new systems when one of our regular players is away for a few weeks, I am seeking your advice fellow RPGamers: 

Which adventure would you recommend for 2-3 gaming sessions? 

And if there are any quick start rules, a link would be greatly appreciated. 

After you’re done with this week’s Fatemaster Friday, head over to the thread and give your two cents to a prospective new Fatemaster!  

When it comes to Through the Breach, it can be hard to decide where to start with a group of new players. Picking the right Penny Dreadful can be very difficult. You want something accessible to players who are new to the system, an adventure that introduces the ‘Fauxverse and the immense amount of character within, along with it being fun and engaging. Let’s take a look at some of our Penny Dreadfuls that are great for new players! Links to the DriveThruRPG page for each one I reference will be linked in the Penny Dreadful’s title.

Penny Dreadfuls come in a variety of lengths, and the Penny Dreadful One Shots are the perfect way to introduce players to TTB over the course of one session. If you want to jump right into the action, there are several One Shots that come with pre-generated characters for your players to choose from. The pre-gens are varied, so there is a spread of character types to choose from! Recruitment Drive gives a very dangerous introduction into the terrible methods of Professor Von Schtook, of the notorious Resurrectionists. If you want to explore the Arcanists, Sixteen Tons introduces the Order of the Chimera to new players. Honor Among Thieves is a fun heist where the Fated work for the Ten Thunders. Each of these adventures come with pre-gens and are a great way to introduce new players to the multiple factions who work to control Malifaux. 

If you want your new players to build their own Fated, No Strings Attached is a delightfully strange journey into Zoraida’s clutches. Bad Moon Rising pits Fated against the Nephilim, showing the ferocious strength of the Neverborn. The Ferryman is the perfect One Shot to show the strange dangers that stalk Malifaux City. As Fatemaster, you may want to help your players build towards success for their first session, pointing out Pursuits that work well for the One Shot you’ve decided to run. With the ability to select a Pursuit after the Prologue, you can reassure them that their decision doesn’t have to last forever. 

There’s more than the One Shots I’ve mentioned here, with more on the horizon! Each of them are only 5$ USD on DriveThruRPG. Penny Dreadful One Shots are the perfect way to introduce new players to this wonderful game, and can get players excited and ready for a homebrew campaign or one of the longer Penny Dreadfuls, like In Defense of Innocence. How have you introduced TTB to new players?

• Like 2

Thanks, both of you for your input. 
That helps a lot. I am really looking forward to introduce not only my fellow tabletop/miniature gamer buddies to the world of Malifaux but also my RPG buddies. 

About the time needed for introducing and going for a one shot - how many hours would you recommend (or guess) I should plan for? (Yes, I know, things can escalate within any gaming session/group in good and bad ways. Yes, I know, every group is different. Yes, I know, it depends on the players a lot... your personal and individual estimation will be gladly appreciated.)

I introduced our Malifaux players (and myself) to TTB with the Obsidian Gate world event. For those that haven't played it I would recommend taking a look. While players were interested in continuing to play TTB afterwards, scheduling was always an issue and we only got things started with our local campaign in December. We are currently working through In Defense of Innocence and just finished Act 2 last night. Although I haven't looked into any other Penny Dreadful books I can say that this one lays out a framework for the Fatemaster and provides tools in the complications section in case the players start to go off the rails of the adventure, which of course never happens in any session ever...

(Really... a council... I'll just set the TN really high...)

Still waiting on the Doc Watson figure by the way...

On 2/23/2020 at 9:43 AM, Harlekin said:

About the time needed for introducing and going for a one shot - how many hours would you recommend (or guess) I should plan for? (Yes, I know, things can escalate within any gaming session/group in good and bad ways. Yes, I know, every group is different. Yes, I know, it depends on the players a lot... your personal and individual estimation will be gladly appreciated.)

One Shots are about designed to be about 2-3 hours in length. Sorry for the delay in replying! 

• Thanks 1