Taking Seamus to the ball.

Regelridderen

I’m going into a tournament next weekend, and rather than reaching for my usual Neverborn, I was thinking of inviting solo Seamus and finally try him out.

The schemes and strats are this - and any advice is welcome :

- Close & Personal:

Standard Deployment

Reckoning

5-Dig their graves

6-Hold up their forces

7-Take prisoner

10-Assassinate

13-Vendetta

- Schemy:

Corner deployment

Plant Explosives

1-Detonate charges

2-Breakthrough

8-Power ritual

11-Deliver a message

12-Claim jump

- Showdown:

Flank deployment

Turf War

3-Harness the leyline

4-Search  the ruins

9-Outflank

10-Assassinate

11-Deliver a message

I don't know Seamus too well (played him once, against him once).

In general, you want your corpse markers and blocking terrain. Carrion emissary delivers both of these and just lines up perfectly with what you want to do.

Game 1, grab a gravedigger and Dig Their Graves becomes pretty trivial (especially if Seamus teleports, drops a scheme marker, one shots something, teleports away for the first point). Since the gravedigger guarantees a point if left undisturbed, you can dictate the battle and force your opponent to come to you. You can cat and mouse them and snowball a lead. Just watch out for losing gravedigger at the wrong time and giving a reckoning point. Yin is great if you want take prisoner, but I'd say your other options are better.

Game two, corner deployment can be tricky. Emissary will boost your movement, and maybe dead rider if you have a key piece needing a boost. If they claim jump, Seamus should be able to snipe out their claim jumper before the second point if you set up terrain. I'd spend the first two turns or so smashing out explosives/points (possibly using Seamus to one shot a bomb carrier), then go hard with pressure on their team to mess up their game plan.

Game 3 Seamus should be great at flipping turf war markers in an awkward fashion, so go hard with denial but snag points on the way.

Overall, your high mobility is going to be amazing for these matchups. A turn with Seamus where all he does is score points is sometimes the way to go. His gun is powerful, but it isn't his whole kit.

Just my uneducated thoughts!

• Like 3

Okay. Since this would be my first time giving Seamus a spin, I thought, I’d just make one list to the three games, just to build familiarity, something like this :

Redchapel Represents II (Resurrectionist)
Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Seamus
    The Whisper
Totem(s):
  Copycat Killer
Hires:
  Dead Doxy
    Grave Spirit's Touch
  Dead Doxy 2
    Grave Spirit's Touch
  Archie
  Nurse
References:
  Mindless Zombie

• Like 1

Having tried GST on Doxies, I tend to find it’s a waste of points on them, not materially actually increasing their survivability. Doxies are hard enough nuts to crack, and if the opponent is going to commit to killing one, the addition of terror and regen isn’t really going to get you 2 stones worth of additional survivability. Additionally, if you’re taking gst youll want a corpse on turn 1 in order to pulse the focus out. Personally would suggest dropping those and then add Sloth, or a Dandy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Archie is absolutely not over hyped, and I consider him better in effect than the rider, and he’s cheaper than the rider. Absolutely should remain in the list. Would only slot him out for Yin, and only if Take Prisoner was in the pool and you want to take it or bluff it. Archie can easily hunt down opposing scheme runners, or provide a follow up blow to something that survives a Seamus onslaught from half a board away. He should really be 2 stones more expensive than he is. Terror, 3 attacks, and hyper mobility, perfect for a Seamus list.

Other potential swap you could do is drop the gst and nurse for Toshiro. He is a better Sybelle than Sybelle for the same cost, and he still gets you the Seamus focus engine with foul mouthed motivation. Would not drop the nurse from a pool with corrupted idols though since her tools for the job can be used to cheat your highest card for initiative to place the marker, and then pick it back up immediately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

Okay. Since this would be my first time giving Seamus a spin, I thought, I’d just make one list to the three games, just to build familiarity, something like this :

Leader:
  Seamus
    The Whisper
Totem(s):
  Copycat Killer
Hires:
  Dead Doxy
    Grave Spirit's Touch
  Dead Doxy 2
    Grave Spirit's Touch
  Archie
  Nurse
References:
  Mindless Zombie

This looks like my default Seamus list, except that I would rather field Dead Dandy instead of two GST. He can turn out to be really helpfull with schemes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

Leader:
  Seamus
    The Whisper
Totem(s):
  Copycat Killer
Hires:
  Dead Doxy
    Grave Spirit's Touch
  Dead Doxy 2
    Grave Spirit's Touch
  Archie
  Nurse
References:
  Mindless Zombie

I've played that exact list several times and had pretty good luck with it. I do understand why some folks would choose to forego the GST upgrades, but I really like the terror spam. I think it's the real theme of this list and against crews that haven't fully prepared it can be very draining. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trample said:

I've played that exact list several times and had pretty good luck with it. I do understand why some folks would choose to forego the GST upgrades, but I really like the terror spam. I think it's the real theme of this list and against crews that haven't fully prepared it can be very draining. 

Its definitely something to mess around with. The pools are pretty killy with Reckoning and Turf War.

The consensus seems to be use Archie, so just a heads up to be mindful of hand management.

With Archie being so resource hungry, savvy opponents will pressure your hand. As a Pandora player, I am sure you know how scary execute spams can be against card-hungry crews, Regel!

A bayou gator in particular can give you a very rough time (execute, flurry, and ruthless...)

Seamus is a great Master for Turf and for Reckoning. He is almost always my "go to" for Reckoning and is usually one of my strong considers for Turf (along with Molly,, Albus, and Kirai.....we have so many good choices for Turf). 

For Reckoning in that pool my go to list would be: Seamus w/Whisper, CCK, Rider, Archie, Emissary, Nurse, Doxy and 4SS. My audible would be against something like McCabe or Leveticus I would probably look at swapping the Emissary out for Manos....to be honest a lot of times I like Manos in there anyway but he potentially gives up more points in Reckoning. In that pool I would be apt to take Assassinate and Vendetta if the opposing master was something killable/catchable. Vendetta with the Doxy or Nurse is very doable and you can always just use it as a one point scheme if you have to kill the target straight out. Take Prisoner can be pretty good/easy in that crew also with Seamus able to chase things down at the end and the Dosy or Nurse helping you isolate their model early. 

In the second pool depending on the match if I were to go with Seamus I would probably swap the Emissary out for sure for the added mobility of having Manos int he list. You can drop something big in favor of another Doxy and dandy to give you more scheming but playing with a 7 x model elite crew is fine. I don't usually like Breakthrough in corner deployment but really in that pool you can almost do anything- Power Ritual, Detonate (especially with Seamus and 2 x leapers), Deliver (usually for 1 x point), potentially Breakthrough if you can kill through pretty quick.

In the 3rd pool I would run the exact same thing. The scheme choices are probably Assassinate, Search or Harness depending on the opposing crews ability to remove markers. 

I love the Rider with Seamus...jut another mobility piece, something else that can put down two markers per turn (scheme, ride, scheme), he has great damage output, and with the movement affect on his Melee attack he and Seamus can do close in wet-work real well together. 

• Agree 1