Handing Out Fast - Tara

Bullfrog

Hi All,

How are people reliably getting out fast on both your models and your opponents models so you can take advantage of it with the abilities within Tara's crew? I often read/hear people saying they can reposition their whole crew across the table by unburying them next to opponent models but I have not been successful in that. 

Thank you for the help!

There's no reliable ways to get fast on your entire crew, but there's a few tricks.  First, everyone has Stutter Time, which can put Fast on enemy models.  If you target activated models, you can get Stutter Time to put fast on them, then bury and unbury next to them.  

To get Fast on your models, I'd only really worry about getting it on The Nothing Beast.  There's two good ways.  First, Tara has Timeslip, with its trigger Event Horizon.  This is mainly useful for getting Fast on her for her second activation, but can occasionally pass it over.  More useful is Aionus himself.  A Stitch in Time lets him transfer Fast from any model he kills to any model in Line of Sight. 

Killing things with Aionus is a bit of a trick.  He's 6 vs. WP for his attacks, which tells you what you want to do.  You want to find low Wp models (often scheme runners) and Glimpse the Void on them to bury them.  Then he can Sever Timeline to unbury them, and kill them.  His attack Tick, Tock gives Fast or Slow, meaning you can give something Fast as you kill it, letting him hand Fast to The Nothing Beast or himself.

You're rarely looking to engage big models with Tara.  She can do it, but mostly you just want to Glimpse those puppies and target the small models.  Without small models enemy crews have problems unburying at all (in the best case you can force them back to their deployment zone with buries)

3 hours ago, RisingPhoenix said:

First, Tara has Timeslip, with its trigger Event Horizon.  This is mainly useful for getting Fast on her for her second activation, but can occasionally pass it over.  More useful is Aionus himself. 

Are we sure we can get Tara fast that way? First of all the trigger's effect is a pulse generated by Tara, so she shouldn't be affected. Second of all - even if she could get Fast, wouldn't she lose it at the end of the activation? 

5 hours ago, ncwojtyna said:

How are people reliably getting out fast on both your models and your opponents models so you can take advantage of it with the abilities within Tara's crew? I often read/hear people saying they can reposition their whole crew across the table by unburying them next to opponent models but I have not been successful in that. 

You can easily bury your own models and give out Fast, that's the east part. You just either need to put Fast on already activated model, or have some Pass tokens and put it on a model within Aionius's LoS to not allow your opponent to make use of it before you can unbury.

And after you get Void Hunters things start to get silly with their Existential Bite

10 minutes ago, CustosUmbra said:

Are we sure we can get Tara fast that way? First of all the trigger's effect is a pulse generated by Tara, so she shouldn't be affected. Second of all - even if she could get Fast, wouldn't she lose it at the end of the activation? 

You are right; it's a pulse so Tara isn't affected and even if she were, the condition would end at the end of her activation.

However if between his first and second activation she gain fast, it'd cancel the slow she gains at the start of the second activation.

She can use Fast to cancel slow during her second activation.   At least that's how we've always played it, if you end the slow condition during the activation you get your full activation.  I guess the more pertinent question is if she counts as a friendly model within :ToS-Pulse:3 and if she doesn't, wow (they could have used the language "another friendly model" if they meant for it to be interpreted that way).  But whatever, certainly we've learned the idea that M3E having clear and easy-to-understand rules went out the window sometime around when it released.  

Aionus is the main engine for handing out Fast in the crew.  I would not waste time having him attack your own models to hand out fast, you're trading an AP from your 10 stone model for an AP on some other model, which is not a good trade.  Maybe if it had a condition you really wanted to end on it, but that would be min 3 damage.  You're much better off killing their stuff, even if it's slightly harder.  

40 minutes ago, RisingPhoenix said:

She can use Fast to cancel slow during her second activation.   At least that's how we've always played it, if you end the slow condition during the activation you get your full activation.  I guess the more pertinent question is if she counts as a friendly model within :ToS-Pulse:3 and if she doesn't, wow (they could have used the language "another friendly model" if they meant for it to be interpreted that way).  But whatever, certainly we've learned the idea that M3E having clear and easy-to-understand rules went out the window sometime around when it released.   

By definition of the :new-Pulse:rules the model projecting the :new-Pulse:is not in range of it's own :new-Pulse:. I don't think it gets more clear or easy-to-understand than that.

• Agree 6
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

1 hour ago, RisingPhoenix said:

I would not call that "clear and easy-to-understand" but okay then. 

It's in the core rulebook 😉

About Aionus - yeah, it's not always helpful to slap your own models to make them fast. But if you have a buried Nothing Beast, for example, it can be a good idea to make Aionus do a Charge move, slap the buried Nothing Beast and either unbury it, or do whatever else you wanted to do with Aionus. 

• Like 1

Again, you can probably figure out a more clever way to get Fast on the Nothing beast than hitting him.  I would not use two Aionus AP to get him fast.  

It's not the biggest deal to miss Fast on The Nothing Beast anyway.  The ability to attack buried models means you should always be getting two high value attacks off with him, or teleporting him forward for Concealment and one attack.  You can drain an awful lot of enemy AP very easily with him.

The Scion being a 3/4/5 beater that costs 6 stones is also notable if you feel like you're missing damage.  He really honestly never has to unbury.  If you stone Hungry Emptiness (or have a high ram) you can easily heal enough that he can just live in buried land and attack from there.

When I've played with Tara I've found that the first Fast condition of a turn is the hardest to get out. After you've managed to get 1 thing fast, your opponent is probably much more likely to let it go on more models.

That is the side effect of Tara and her crew gaining so many benefits of your opponent being fast, it becomes quite important to not let her get to do it.

9 hours ago, RisingPhoenix said:

You are right that if you gain fast during an activation it would cancel out the slow, and allow Tara to take 3 actions, but :new-Pulse:has always not included the model it originates from, so she can't gain it from her own timeslip. (they could have used the language Another, but that's a lot of extra words to put that in every single ability that has a pulse. The rules, I thought, clearly defined that the pulse excluded the model it originated from, so there was no need to state another).

I will say I've never had more than one or two enemy  models with fast, and Age to Destruction is an ability that I almost never get going off, (but then unless its going to kill a model I think I've planned badly if I leave an enemy mode with fast to activate). I often hire a student of conflict to give me a safe reliable fast onto my own crew as a back up.

I also seem to have less success with Glimpse than others, so often don't have buried models to target. I do agree with the suggestion to clear an area of models to restrict their glimpse unbury options. (Its not always easy to do, btu the fewer choices you give your opponent, the less likely they will have a good one) EDIT You chose which enemy model it unburies near. you don't give any choices to the enemy

But I have had some success with Tara, so you don't need to teleport your whole crew with fast across the whole table. She does change the resource game, so it might take a while to learn what she values, and so what is important for you to do during your turns.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Adran said:

I also seem to have less success with Glimpse than others, so often don't have buried models to target. I do agree with the suggestion to clear an area of models to restrict their glimpse unbury options. (Its not always easy to do, btu the fewer choices you give your opponent, the less likely they will have a good one)

I've been thinking I'm using it wrong! Don;t even know when last I actually got Glimpse off on an enemy, it's been a great resource drain though so still happy to use it every chance i get 🙂

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ebolazaire said:

I've been thinking I'm using it wrong! Don;t even know when last I actually got Glimpse off on an enemy, it's been a great resource drain though so still happy to use it every chance i get 🙂

Totally agree. its one of those things that I'm happy when it happens, but I never plan for something to actually be buried. I am unlikely to actively try and force the trigger to happen, but if it does then I'm happy. (in effect, for me  its a resource drain, but isn't worth the cost of resources for me to make it happen).

5 hours ago, Adran said:

Totally agree. its one of those things that I'm happy when it happens, but I never plan for something to actually be buried. I am unlikely to actively try and force the trigger to happen, but if it does then I'm happy. (in effect, for me  its a resource drain, but isn't worth the cost of resources for me to make it happen).

Just throw Wretches at your opponents. Those built-in tomes work wonders. 

Glimpse is built in on Wretches, Hunters, and most importantly, Tara (and Talos has Into the Furnace, if you bring him).  Hannah and Aionus can stone for it, and Hannah can take damage, focus or even stone for it very easily since she can get a trigger off on Ancient Words.  Tara is again, probably your most successful model for it, and what you actually want to be doing with her (outside of scheme running and summoning).  

I'm willing to pay resources to make it happen on an already-activated model, since it's often going to die if it gets buried.  Otherwise, it's also good for just punting something to the back lines.  Failing the duel is a huge waste of AP, and a lot of times your enemy will need an 8 or 9 to pass. 

I don't play Tara, but have you thought of using a scavenger OOK to get fast and focused on a friendly model? with tools for the job its easy to get the burn out trigger on his weird device tactical action. 

since I've started learning Levi, I've seen more and more uses of scavengers in other crews.

2 hours ago, steamboyd said:

I don't play Tara, but have you thought of using a scavenger OOK to get fast and focused on a friendly model? with tools for the job its easy to get the burn out trigger on his weird device tactical action. 

since I've started learning Levi, I've seen more and more uses of scavengers in other crews.

you can provide fast to minion or Abomination keyword, so you can pair it with Prospector, and have fast each turn, but probably your summons would unbury in backfield (prospector can easily die in front line 😞 ). Don't know if it worth points, should be checked

2 hours ago, steamboyd said:

I use the student of conflict as my OOK hire for fast. It needs 2 actions rather than 1, but doesn't deal the damage, and is still a little mobile even if it has to spend both its actions doing the marker drop/give out fast.

I've started toying around with the idea of a dead outlaw for Tara. Not only does it provide fast but it also provides some ranged support in a crew that's fairly melee oriented. However the main reason to take one is because I have spare death marshals back from M2E when Tara could hire them. They pretty much fit the same astatic. 

• Like 1