A few questions

The Lord Of Pudding

Question

1) Does "ignoring Asset limits" of Prototypes include the no Assets for
Combined Arms limit? So that I could attach Chemical Foggers to a Combined
Arms Titan? And can I attach Active Defense Armor to a Combined Arms Squad
(with the Titan simply having no benefit of the Asset)?

2) I know I can for example reinforce the Steel Legion to bring back the
Cutter, but can I also reinforce the Cutter to bring back the Steel Legion?

3) Do the Assets on the Emergeny Repairs Stratagem include Prototype
Assets? Since in that case they are not attached during hiring.

4) The rulebook says I can use a Tactics Token to flip another card. Does
that include Penetration and Area Flips?

5) Can I cheat Area Flips?

6) Adjunct says (unlike Versatile) only "Once per Activation", nothing
about which unit activates. Can I use the Adjunct Ability if that Fireteam
takes an Action outside of its own Activation (Volley Fire, Perfect Accuracy)?

7) If I would automatically Pass because I have no unit left, can I still
use a Stratagem before I pass?

7.1) Can I use a Stratagem that way at the end of the turn (opponent activates unit, I play stratagem and pass, he passes, turn ends) and still activate first next turn since the last unit was still activated by him?

8) If a hazardous terrain piece is placed or moved in base contact with a fireteam,
do I make the damage flip? 

9) If terrain is both blocking and elevated (Hills), do I ignore the
blocking trait if my Fireteam is partially inside the terrain, targeting a
Fireteam completly inside the terrain?

10) If a Stalking Portal moves both in base contact with a Fireteam and a
Portal Marker, can I teleport all of them or do I have to chose between the
Stalking Portal and the other Fireteam since the Stalking Portal is not in base contact with
the Fireteam after moving through the portal?

11) If I use Endless Numbers to bring back a unit that had an Adjunct
model, is the Adjunct model still part of the unit?

12) Can units target themself (for example with Bellow of Command, Field
Test)? Can Field Test be used on targets that don't have a Prototype Asset
(or can't use it) to draw a Card?

6 answers to this question

On 2/16/2020 at 6:16 AM, The Lord Of Pudding said:

7.1) Can I use a Stratagem that way at the end of the turn (opponent activates unit, I play stratagem and pass, he passes, turn ends) and still activate first next turn since the last unit was still activated by him?

😎 If a hazardous terrain piece is placed or moved in base contact with a fireteam,

MuManti's got pretty much it all right there, but just wanted to clarify some of them.

7) Yes, Stratagems are chosen before activating/passing, you can't do a Stratagem halfway through a Coordinated Strike because doing one skips step 1 entirely.

7.1) Yes, but don't forget that your opponent has a chance to do the same thing, as the order will go: Their last activation, your pass with Stratagem, their pass with Stratagem, new turn with your first Activation.

8 ) Penetration flips are always done by whoever doesn't own whatever's taking damage.  So for Hazardous it's whoever its opponent is, regardless of who moved it.

1) Does "ignoring Asset limits" of Prototypes include the no Assets for
Combined Arms limit? So that I could attach Chemical Foggers to a Combined
Arms Titan? And can I attach Active Defense Armor to a Combined Arms Squad
(with the Titan simply having no benefit of the Asset)?

You cannot give assets to Combined Arms titan, as it is itself an asset, not a unit. The unit (in this case a Steel Legion) is a squad, where one fireteam happens to be a titan. That does not change the fact that the unit is a squad. So it cannot attach Chemical Foggers, but it can attach Active Defenses Armor (even when the titan cannot use it).

2) I know I can for example reinforce the Steel Legion to bring back the
Cutter, but can I also reinforce the Cutter to bring back the Steel Legion?

Yes. Even if only the titasn is left, he still represents a unit of Steel Legion and can be reinforced as such.

3) Do the Assets on the Emergeny Repairs Stratagem include Prototype
Assets? Since in that case they are not attached during hiring.

Not sure, but I would guess yes? I you would like... I wouldn't recommend it...

4) The rulebook says I can use a Tactics Token to flip another card. Does
that include Penetration and Area Flips?

As far as I know it does. I haven't played for some time, but as far as I know, all flips can be reflipped or cheated, if there is no rule that says otherwise.

5) Can I cheat Area Flips?

See above, as far as I know yes.

6) Adjunct says (unlike Versatile) only "Once per Activation", nothing
about which unit activates. Can I use the Adjunct Ability if that Fireteam
takes an Action outside of its own Activation (Volley Fire, Perfect Accuracy)?

Yes, you can take that action. You still can only one action with those effects.

No, you cannot. You either activate a unit, or you pass. A stratagem is part of an activation. If you have no units left to activate, you automatically pass, with no oportunity to play statagems. You also cannot play a stratagem between two Coordinated Strike activations (see FAQ).

😎 If a hazardous terrain piece is placed or moved in base contact with a fireteam,

Not sure, but I would assume yes?

9) If terrain is both blocking and elevated (Hills), do I ignore the
blocking trait if my Fireteam is partially inside the terrain, targeting a
Fireteam completly inside the terrain?

As long as either your fireteam or the opponents fireteam is in the blocking terrain (here: on the hill), they can see each other. Cover applies as normal, though, and in this case, both fireteams would probably get cover.

10) If a Stalking Portal moves both in base contact with a Fireteam and a
Portal Marker, can I teleport all of them or do I have to chose between the
Stalking Portal and the other Fireteam since the Stalking Portal is not in base contact with
the Fireteam after moving through the portal?

I would guess so. Both effects trigger at the same time, so you should be able to choose in which order they are resolved. So the other unit should be able to teleport first, then the portals. Not completely sure on this one though.

11) If I use Endless Numbers to bring back a unit that had an Adjunct
model, is the Adjunct model still part of the unit?

No. Endless Numbers summons a new unit, which cannot have an adjunct attached.

12) Can units target themself (for example with Bellow of Command, Field
Test)? Can Field Test be used on targets that don't have a Prototype Asset
(or can't use it) to draw a Card?

A unit can target friendly units (including itself) with actions that do not involve an opposed duel (like Bellow of Command or Field Test). Also, yes, as far as I know you can use Field Test on a unit without Prototype Asset (or valid target) to just draw a card.

Thank you, that helps a lot. 

6) So I could use Field Test on a Fireteam with an Adjunct model to get the Adjunct Shoot Action? That would be quite nice. 

7) But doesn't the rulebook divide the Activation into multiple steps with playing Stratagems as the first step and then either choosing a unit or passing as the second step (p20)? I mean at least early in the game, when I pass by discarding a card, I can still first play a Stratagem, right? 

😎 I can't find anything about it. Logically speaking, it would make more sense to me if it does deal damage, but since the Poison Cloud is the only case allowing placement with enemy fireteams and the rules speak only of the units own activation, I would assume the cloud to not deal damage. 

9) Now I am confused, what would be the source for cover since no terrain is between them? Also, we assumed that a fireteam not on top of the blocking terrain wouldn't be able to see the fireteam on top because of the blocking trait. I mean normal enemy fireteams also fully block LoS and give cover if targeting an enemy Titan, right?

6) So I could use Field Test on a Fireteam with an Adjunct model to get the Adjunct Shoot Action? That would be quite nice. 

No. Field Test especially needs a prototype asset action, so adjunkt does not work.

7) But doesn't the rulebook divide the Activation into multiple steps with playing Stratagems as the first step and then either choosing a unit or passing as the second step (p20)? I mean at least early in the game, when I pass by discarding a card, I can still first play a Stratagem, right? 

Hm. Can't find it right now. I was sure it was in the FAQ somewhere...

9) Now I am confused, what would be the source for cover since no terrain is between them? Also, we assumed that a fireteam not on top of the blocking terrain wouldn't be able to see the fireteam on top because of the blocking trait. I mean normal enemy fireteams also fully block LoS and give cover if targeting an enemy Titan, right?

A hill would be Elevated, Blocking [Low], so if both units are completely on it, the blocking part would not be relevant for them, and they would be able to shoot on one another without the cover.

If (like in your example) the enemy unit is on the hill, yours is not (or only partly), then they can shoot on you without cover, as elevated units ignore low terrain, but they would get cover against you, as you can see them (they are elevated, yes, I know, this is not in the rules, but please! You cannot stand on a hill and NOT be seen!), but the shot still goes through blocking terrain.

A hill with just blocking is a mountain and should be impassable

6) No, I meant that if the Fireteam can take a Prototype Action because of Field Test, the condition for Adjunct is fulfilled as well. And since it is an Action generated by an Asset, it shouldn't count to the limit. It's kinda confusing, that's why I am asking. 

7) Maybe something written on FB or so? I don't use FB but a buddy learned a lot from the questions there. I mean the FAQ/Errata is great, but already half a year old. 

9) Sounds perfectly logical and I really would like it that way, but in such cases it's always nice to have an official statement. 

8 hours ago, The Lord Of Pudding said:

6) No, I meant that if the Fireteam can take a Prototype Action because of Field Test, the condition for Adjunct is fulfilled as well. And since it is an Action generated by an Asset, it shouldn't count to the limit. It's kinda confusing, that's why I am asking.

Field Test allows you to take one action from a prototype asset, like Perfect Accuracy would allow you to take one :ToS-Range: action. I think it is clear enough, but maybe it gets into the FAQ at some point :)

8 hours ago, The Lord Of Pudding said:

9) Sounds perfectly logical and I really would like it that way, but in such cases it's always nice to have an official statement. 

All I could find was this thread:

They seem to acknowledge that when a non-titan fireteam is on elevated terrain, it counts as high. I haven't found anything in the rules about it, but I would play it as such for the time being. Else, it would be nearly unplayable, as a fireteam on elevated, blocking [low] terrain can see anything, but cannot be seen by anything other than titans.