Heres a list, now give me the ideal strats set

4thstringer

Ok, last night while laying in bed staring at the ceiling in fear of the death marshalls crashing through my windows to arrest me, I had an idea for a variation on a list I have played a fair amount.  Given that everyone I have talked to has said that Pale rider should be nerfed with the errata, my trap spam list is going to need some new blood.

So what is a loyal guild frontier pathfinder, with a pack full of traps to do?

Here is what I have come up with.

Basse

Baby basse

Traps x7

Birb x 1

Reichart

Pathfinder

Greed

False witness.

The idea is that instead of rushing my opponent and trying to pin them into their deployment with the traps, I want to try to keep my traps alive, bring opponents to them, and then, with the numbers of traps surrounding them, hit them really hard with greed.  I figure I can use baby basse and reichart to pull enemy models into the trap pile, or quicksand if I set up next to a forest, then move the false witness up next to them if I don't have a high card to support greeds attack then really whammy them from a pretty safe distance.

The bird is in to be another body, but also to help the pathfinder replentish our numbers.

Until I think I am going to get this going, the false witness can work to set up basses card draw.

I think I might need llc on reichart and greed, but I haven't counted out what that would leave me with.

The Problem: I don't think this is an "every game, any schemes" type of list.  

Please give me feedback on what schemes, strats etc you would look for to drop this silly jank list.

OOhh.. I like this exercise. Here are my thoughts...

That initial list is 45 stone, which doesn't leave much room for upgrades. It's also 6 significant models where you're trying to use most of them to set up some big hits.

I'd say you want this in Standard or Wedge to make use of the smaller centerline / larger ability to cluster traps where the opponent wants/needs to walk through. 

In that sense, Idols would be nice if you can control where the idol drops, but with that many models it'll probably go to the opponent's choice. Reckoning is ok I suppose if you can force the wall of traps between yours and the opponent's models, but then most of those models aren't very durable, so I'd pass on that strat. Plant & Turf would be ideal I think, since you'll know where the opponent wants to go, so can set up the traps accordingly.

For schemes, I'm thinking Claim Jump and Take prisoner on anything you pull into the trap bubble. Detonate charges could work out well with the FW, and in the same vein Dig their Graves would work. Add in Search for the models that aren't going into the trap pile.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gaston said:

Does Unchecked Avarice work that way? Wouldn't enemy be your enemy?

If you want something like this, have a False Witness drop 4 scheme markers and have Nellie blast a model or two. Or two Witnesses drop 8 markers.

Gah!  You are making me doubt my read of Greeds card now.  I still think my read is right, but I'm not sure.

Would make her a really nice take into Aura crews though....

You know I already have a dual false witness Nellie/lucius list made somewhere to try to get 12/14 damage in an action.

2 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Gah!  You are making me doubt my read of Greeds card now.  I still think my read is right, but I'm not sure.

because of the third paragraph on page 26 of the rulebook when friendly/enemy is used in an action/ability it's always from the point of view of the model using the ability. So sadly for your strategy it deals dmg equal to the number of models from your opponent around the target not the number of your models.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

because of the third paragraph on page 26 of the rulebook when friendly/enemy is used in an action/ability it's always from the point of view of the model using the ability. So sadly for your strategy it deals dmg equal to the number of models from your opponent around the target not the number of your models.

NOOOO Everything is horrible and my day is ruined.

• Haha 2

Ok, I have recovered from my shock, now time for the salt.  

What a garbage attack for a seven point model.    Its not like she has another, so the opponent knows just what is coming.   Even if they do stay bunched up knowing she is comning, since it is a pulse,it won't includ itself.  What is the chance of doing more than 2 damage.  If the soulstone burn was automatic it would be better, but that is a pick or choose. It can't ramp up at all for moderate or severe, you just get the probably one damage it is going to do.   The trigger I guess is potentially useful, but its not built in so you are either saving up high rams for it (which will almost always pay off more elsewhere) or stoning for it.   And once again, the opponent can decide which is more valuable to them.  

Greed is a model that I have given a lot of thought to, as she was one of the first Guild models I actually owned. I think she deserves a mini-tactica/blog entry, because she is interesting, niche, and potentially devastating.

I think Greed goes well as a counter hire into two different archetypes: models with valuable upgrades and melee models that use soulstones for protection. 

In and of itself, Unchecked Avarice is somewhat mopey--you’ll do at least 1 damage, as an enemy model is always near itself, but unless they are bunching some Hamelin rats or Gremlin swarm, it’s not that impressive. Where it comes into play is the Take It All trigger. If your target has an upgrade that is overly valuable to them, then they have a challenging choice--2/3/4 on top of the 1 damage, and this flip is not affected by the duel difference, unless there is Hard to Wound it is easily cheated. So we’re really talking about 5 damage in a single shot. I think of targets such as Arcanists, Ten Thunders, Yan Lo, Von Schtook, Marcus...crews where they will be loathe to lose the upgrade, but if they do pitch it then you are netting a significant bonus. 

The more generalist situation I see her in is versus melee models that rely on soulstones--Nekima, the Viks, Lord Chompy Bits, Hungering Darkness, Jack Daw/Hanged, Ironsides. These are models that you KNOW are going to come to you, so it is easy to have Greed hanging back to apply her aura. Stack a couple sin tokens up, then when you go to counterstrike, the models are that much easier to drop. How scary is Hungy or Chompy without the damage reduction?

Crew-wise, so much of what she does relies on WP duels, so I only look to pair her with Lucius or Nellie, entirely because of the False Witness. It makes Unchecked Avarice a cinch to get off, either for upgrades or to stash Sin tokens. 

A secondary reason to run her with Lucius is the Changelings. Destructive Performance is a Tactical Action, thus can be used with Just Like You, needs an 8 of Tomes. So you get 3 Sin Tokens on a model, Greed hits it for 3 damage. Then the Changeling hits it for 3 damage, and gets the trigger to make Greed hit it again for 3 damage. Also this is a tactical action, so no Incorporeal, no Terrifying, no resists. 

So take her….IF you are playing Lucius or Nellie and IF you are taking False Witnesses and IF you are up against models with valuable upgrades OR models that get in your face and require soulstones to survive.

$0.02

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Gaston said:

In and of itself, Unchecked Avarice is somewhat mopey--you’ll do at least 1 damage, as an enemy model is always near itself

Great post, but this isn't right. Because it does dmg in a pulse, it is one dmg for every other model within 3". The trigger is pretty decent though, and probably worth stoning for, especially if Greed has been able to collect a few stones on her own.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Gaston said:

$0.02

I buy it; I was also in the boat of useless model outside of a CR7 crew but you changed my mind a bit.

However two details:

you’ll do at least 1 damage, as an enemy model is always near itself

As said above, it's a pulse so it can deal 0 damage with only the choice between SS or Sin token.

2/3/4 on top of the 1 damage, and this flip is not affected by the duel difference

There are some controversy about it, but I'd say Action triggers do get modified by accuracy mods.

"...are subject to all game effect that affect the action."

Accuracy is a game effect affecting that action (so is focus tho).

On 2/13/2020 at 5:28 PM, Gaston said:

Does Unchecked Avarice work that way? Wouldn't enemy be your enemy?

If you want something like this, have a False Witness drop 4 scheme markers and have Nellie blast a model or two. Or two Witnesses drop 8 markers.

Ok I did it tonight.  It was wedge reckoning, which was ideal, but misaki with 2 snipers, which wasn't.  The schemes were also bad.

I leaned in on the concept, I took lucius, scribe, Nellie, lawyer, 2 false witness, doppel and agent 46.   My plan was to use the lure to pull them in.  I ended up instead doing a lot of hidden sniper shots to kill a sniper activation one and yamaziko turn 3.  I did land the big one for 7 on misaki and 2 small ones to finish ototo and a wokou.  The misaki one would have been better, but I messed up and blocked los to some.  I would have otherwise killed her in one shot.