Nikodemus' minis 2020 (expect non-Wyrd)

Nikodemus

• 1 month later...

Productive month :)

pic5218916.jpg

Did the remaining 18 Citadel Guard and thus finished another unit type for Battlelore. Slowly getting there.

pic5245005.jpgpic5245006.jpg

As seen on the challenge thread, my monthly Wyrd for February was the Silent Knight. Killjoy alt, metal. Bit different style from 1e metals. This was a paintjob for a friend (traded a paintjob for his unpainted Killjoy). Quite a nice miniature. Bit bored by the paintjob but it was interesting to explore Wyrd's new take on metal.

pic5253132.jpgpic5253133.jpg

To balance out all that batch painting and boring colours, I took a few evenings to just have fun with this little lady from i-Kore (no really, she's quite small, 28mm twenty years ago wasn't quite what it is today:P). Gael Warrior of some sort I believe. Found her at the singles shelf at the LGS. Simpler sculpting from few decades back. Love love love. It's got its oddities sure, just compare her arm and head! Very fun paintjob. Didn't mean for her to be purple skinned but sometimes the brush takes me to strange places.

pic5253890.jpg

Same evening I finished that Gael Warrior, I also did quick paintjob on these Razorwings from Battlelore. They're a singular "mercenary" unit in the game. Quick, spontaneous paintjob to clear more room for my desk.

pic5258231.jpg

In the closing hours of February I finished Yeoman Archers for Battlelore. Did 5 of 15.

____

• January: 21 minis
  • February: 28 minis
  • Total: 49 minis

Sure that's only two "proper" paintjobs this month, but that's the theme for this year. At least until I finish the blue faction for Battlelore. I'm just glad I could sneak that i-Kore mini in between all this Battlelore and obligatory Wyrd painting.

For next month's challenge I've pledged Minako Rei box and a Tanuki, so expect a bit less boardgame stuff for March.

Happy March everyone. On and off the brush:)

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

Well this was left on the wayside. Oops. Here's what I painted in March, starting with Malifaux:

pic5263279.jpg

pic5295944.jpg

Tanuki and Minako Rei & pals.

And for that Battlelore project I did rest of the good-guy archers:

pic5278288.jpg

I also did a few miscellaneous minis:

pic5299579.jpg

Daughter, by Vae Victis Miniatures. Bought from a 3d printing company. Mini itself was a bit rough due to print quality.

pic5304819.jpg

pic5304822.jpg

pic5304820.jpg

I believe this is an old metal Imperial Guardsman from GW. No idea if it had a more characterful name at some point. Weird pose. I quite enjoyed painting the rough 'n stark look. 

January: 21 minis
February: 28 minis
March: 17 minis
Total: 66 minis

• Like 6

May:

pic5412103.jpg

Bird, for Batman Miniatures Game. Commission piece for the "I do my own bases" client. 

pic5447749.jpg

pic5447751.jpg

And for the Monthly challenge I did a Wandering River Monk. 

For archival purposes this is a May-June double feature. Did 0 minis in June. Oh well.

January: 21 minis
February: 28 minis
March: 17 minis
April: 1 mini
May: 2 minis
June: 0 minis
Total: 69 minis

Stay tuned for July when I actually plan to paint again:D

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Big thing for July was me finishing Daqan Lords (aka. Knights & Golems) for Battlelore 2nd edition:

pic5537111.jpg

Greyhaven Battlemages

pic5539840.jpg

Ironbound (magic  robots)

pic5552816.jpg

Riverwatch Riders (wife helped out with the horse skin)

pic5558731.jpg

Citadel Lancers (wife said hell no when I asked for help with the horse skin on these as well)

pic5558732.jpg

Rune Golems

pic5560518.jpgpic5560519.jpg

Roc Warrior

pic5571242.jpgpic5571243.jpg

Siege Golem

It wasn't all boardgame junk though. Did a proxy ganger for Batman Miniatures Game:

pic5539803.jpgpic5539804.jpg

Joanne from Hasslefree. This was one of those one evening paintjobs. Lovely simple sculpt from Hasslefree. Joy to paint.

And finally my monthly Wyrd challenge mini:

pic5532890.jpgpic5532891.jpg

Samurai. Neat fact, Samurai box was the thing that got me into Malifaux. I got them for painting and was invited to a demo game while I was paying for it at the LGS counter. Cool model.

• March: 17 minis
  • April: 1 mini
  • May: 2 minis
  • June: 0 minis
  • July: 43 minis
  • Total: 112 minis

I was going to take a break from Battlelore, still got about 80 minis for it with the barbarian faction. But after playing a knights vs undead game wife asked I get  them done sooner rather than later. I guess that's a project for August:D

Have a good one, folks:Teddy:

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Last month with massed Battlelore posting :):

pic5578770.jpg

Blood Harvesters

pic5578771.jpg

Viper Legion

pic5580608.jpg

Flesh Ripper Brutes

pic5580609.jpg

Obscenes

pic5587218.jpg

Blood Sisters

pic5595938.jpg

Grotesques

pic5595939.jpg

Berserkers

pic5600748.jpg

Doombringer

pic5583894.jpg

Chaos Lord

That's entirety of the barbarian faction for Battlelore 2nd edition. Third and final faction fully painted. Took me about two weeks or so.  There's only a single neutral dragon left to paint for the game.  Feeling pretty good about this.

For the monthly Wyrd challenge I did a bit for both my arcanists and Thunders:

pic5595075.jpg

Some magnetised arachnids so I can play 1 swarm & 1 single, or three singles.

pic5610319.jpg

Fun single evening Lotus Eater. One of my favourite Wyrd sculpts in a long while.

I also started working on my Beastgrave set:

pic5613472.jpgpic5620086.jpgpic5622770.jpg

Foot troops for the Wood Elf warband. Took me a week to figure out a colour scheme for the group, but I like what I ended up with. I didn't like the minis at first, but they grew on me as project went on. Two models to go for this band in September.

Final thing I painted on 31st was a return to my mostly painted Heroquest set: 

pic5634754.jpg

This is a Gargoyle. I got Heroquest for cheap to practice painting on some years back but I quit about 80% into the project and focused more on my Malifaux. Quick paintjobs so I won't feel bad for letting my 5 year old manhandle the minis.

• August: 90 minis
  • Total: 202 minis

I think it's safe to say you can expect a lot less finished minis for remainder of the year :D

Have a good one, and onwards to September!:Teddy:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the Elven warband and started on another big-ish project (51 minis). Will be a while before that's done though.

pic5639728.jpgpic5654037.jpg

Skaeth & Lighaen. Centaur & battlecat. Below a family photo of the entire warband:

pic5657866.jpg

___

My Wyrd mini for the month was Paul Crockett:

pic5681284.jpg

Co-worker wanted me to go paint at their place, a little paint jam. Was a fun night and I guess I now have a painted Paul Crockett.

___

Month ago I was planning to buy an OOP GW boardgame. Space Crusade to be exact, but on payday afternoon I noticed that some bugger had bought the game that very morning. So I did what any reasonable adult with disposable income does, I browsed the auction site some more and bought another OOP GW boardgame! That game ended up being Silver Tower. Rules seem really appealing so now I'm quite motivated to get my set painted, all 51 minis, so I can play some while it's still 2020.

Started off with some basic goons, Kairic Acolytes:

pic5673802.jpg

These were followed by the first Hero, Excelsior Warpriest and his Gryph-hound (Gryph was painted same time as Paul):

pic5681286.jpgpic5681287.jpg

And in the closing days of September I finished first of the six Tzaangor elite minions:

pic5687271.jpg

All that trim is killing me. At least there's only five more to go.

____

Contrary to my usual style, I'm mostly following official colour schemes for Silver Tower. I find it mentally freeing to just go with somebody else's designs. Helps me keep a healthy pace with a project where speed is somewhat important.

• September: 14 minis
  • Total: 216 minis

So that's September. Fun and surprisingly productive when it came to painting. Here's hoping I'll have more than just five Tzaangor to show for October.

Have a good one!:Teddy:

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2020 at 8:21 PM, Nikodemus said:

Here's hoping I'll have more than just five Tzaangor to show for October.

Managed to exceed my low goals.

pic5727348.jpg

Group shot of the six Tzaangor. Chore to get through, but now they're done. I hear some silly people play army games with hordes of these models.

pic5742464.jpgpic5742465.jpg

Also for Silver Tower I managed to paint a paladin hero. Knight Questor it's called.

And my final model for October was my Rotten Harvest entry. Nothing much, but it's fun to participate. Will add it to the thread once it's ok to do so.

• October: 7 minis
  • Total: 223 minis

Not a lot finished in October, but an important milestone for the Silver Tower project nonetheless. Rest of the minions will be a breeze after Tzaangor.

November may be damp and dark, but it's always bright and warm at the painting corner. I wish you guys all the best:Teddy:

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 10:49 PM, Sarah Cole said:

Just popping in to say I love the colour scheme on your Tzaangor. They look so whimsical.

Thanks a bunch! I mostly followed the official colours. Cool looking models, despite how laborious they are to paint.

_____

Before moving onto November, here's my October Rotten Harvest entry:

pic5797636.jpg

Order Iniatiate for Marcus. Painted him shortly after the Tzaangor and I just kind of drifted into doing the skin very similarly. I quite like the green I managed to get for the scales. Can't remember what I used anymore though. I mixed something in with Scale75 Inktense Green, which is a lovely turquoise leaning green.

And my November Wyrd mini:

pic5797638.jpg

Pistolero de Latigo. 1e Metal. Such a joy to paint.

Now onto the meat of my hobbying, Silver Tower progress for November:

pic5762031.jpgpic5762033.jpg

Fyreslayer Doomseeker. I didn't like the official paint scheme (caucasian, orange hair, gold runes). After some mulling things over I went with purple skin, green blades and cold gold. I was surprised how busy a naked dwarf (his ass cheek is showing!) can be. Not something I enjoy in mini painting. Nonetheless I'm happy with the end result.

pic5795046.jpg

Horrors of Tzeentch. These guys were skin, a few ornaments and that's all. Very enjoyable to paint after the dwarf.

pic5804636.jpg

Skaven Deathrunner. First rat man I've ever painted I think. Very cool character mini. Was a lot of fun.

pic5828334.jpgpic5820790.jpg

Ogroid Thaumaturge (it's the minotaur dude) and Chaos Familiars. Two bird familiars were painted in December so they won't go into this month's tally, but are pictured just the same. Minotaur's magic tattoo things are sculpted on. Familiars were very enjoyable, cool little things. Mini versions of Wyrd's effigies, which are among my favourite minis.

• November: 21
  • Total: 244 minis

Very productive month on the hobby front. Feeling good about that. Already finished a few more so currently there's only 11 minis left to paint for Silver Tower.

With the pandemic on the rise again (at least around here), I hope everyone's finding some solace in their hobby. Have a good one:Teddy:

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks @Boro. I managed to get a decent time:quality ratio out of them. Very happy with the project.

___

December 2020 update. This is late. I spent good 3-4 weeks mainly playing Mage Knight boardgame. It's a long one. Not much time for painting, photographing or posting. But here we go. Starting with my Wyrd contribution:

pic5876675.jpgpic5876676.jpg

Ryle, 2nd edition plastic. Painted as a christmas gift for a friend. I've always liked Ryle's figure, both metal and plastic. Simple cyborg monstrosity. I've never painted dark skinned undead before. I'm not sure I did this time either, but I did highlight towards greys to lean on Ryle's undead nature.

And then a fair bit of Silver Tower:

pic5832574.jpg

Grot Scuttlings. Mutated smurfs in Gargamel's basement.  These were the last 'minion' group for the core box Silver Tower. 

pic5844930.jpgpic5844931.jpg

Gaunt Summoner. Big bad of the game and final enemy in the core box. Turned out better than I expected during the painting. It's a neat figure. I like. Really happy with the flesh I managed to do. 

pic5848960.jpgpic5848961.jpg

Vortemis the All-Seeing. Played with Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord rules, an "expansion" hero. Vortemis' box art has runes on the shoulder armour, so I did some doodles in there. Bit of a rush job to have him ready for a game so few parts aren't quite as refined as I'd have liked. But I don't like returning to 'finished' minis either :)

pic5857774.jpgpic5857775.jpg

Darkoath Chieftain. Another chaos themed hero. Probably my favourite mini from the base game. I like the calm pose.

pic5942237.jpgpic5942238.jpg

Tenebrael Shard. How hard is it to spell 'Dark elf assassin'? :PLast mini for 2020. He's a shadow magic themed character so I went for a fairly colourless scheme.

• November: 21
  • December: 15
  • Total: 259 minis

And that's the year. Hoo boy. Battlelore practically finished (just one neutral expansion dragon in the wip shelf). Silver Tower likewise (core box mage isn't painted, but I've got an expansion caster hero so it balances out). Feeling good about those.

___

7 minis done for 2021 thus far so I'm back on the brush. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to have another thread for 2021 or not though. I'll have to ponder that.

• Like 9