2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - February

Caedrus

Welcome to the 2020 Wyrd Painting Challenge!

This is the thread for the February Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I have the very great pleasure of being your host for 2020. While I am proud to be your host, this competition belongs to all of us, and if there’s anything that we can better to improve the Challenge, please do let me know.

February's stone is the amethyst, and the flower is the violet. Time to break out those purple paints, people! February is also the shortest month, so why not paint something super quickly this month? Mind you, it's also the leap year, so why not paint your rarest miniature?

The link to the painter spreadsheet is HERE, and I’ll update the January numbers in the next few days.

The 2020 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 Soulstone worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2020. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan. See the Buy-Back rule, below.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

A new rule for 2020: The Buy-Back

Everyone has good months and bad months. To encourage people to continue to paint, we will be trying out a new rule this year: the Buy-Back. In the past, if you have used your two mulligans, you’re out of the Challenge!

However, in 2020, you can buy your way back into the challenge. All you have to do is to undertake your normal pledge and paint for the month, AND undertake the pledge and paint from one of the months you mulliganed.

E.g.: Sarah is painting at Enforcer level (6SS/month), and she’s needed to mulligan for the third time. She announces that for the upcoming month, she’ll paint 12SS. If she does so, she’s back in the Challenge!

At such a time, it might be worthwhile considering dropping down a category, but that’s up to Sarah!

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.
  • Markers count for 2 soulstones if they're flat, or 5 soulstones if they're 3D and fancy

Terrain

• ·       Scatter Piece (5SS): A modest piece of terrain, or a small number of scattered terrain pieces. These are the spray-can and dry-brush pieces.
  • ·       Focus Piece (10SS): A terrain piece that represents a focal point of pride in a terrain board. These pieces require a decent amount of construction and painting.
  • ·       Centre Piece (20SS): A terrain piece that is a significant centrepiece to the terrain. A handmade forest, a mausoleum, or a train engine.
  • ·       Masterpiece (50SS): A gorgeous, unique terrain piece that makes people wonder if you get out much.
  • ·       War and Peace (100SS): A complete, themed 3’x3’ terrain board.

My very best for February, and 2020!

Caedrus.

• Like 1

Going to go with Silent Knight (metal alt Killjoy) for February. Local NB player traded me his unpainted Killjoy in exchange for me painting his Silent Knight. Requested I mostly follow the "official" colours so no wild pinks this time.

No pic for now, but just imagine a beige primed mini like last month, and you've got it:D

____

@Caedrus ...just how many half finished minis do you have lying around?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Caedrus I've got a wendigo and one acolyte left from the raspy box, but they both got a bit chewed by a puppy so haven't gotten much love yet. Need to green stuff some areas pretty heavily.

Might paint up a couple of gatreaux bokors instead for zoraida. So I'm in for 14ss this month!

@Antinea those firebranded look pretty awesome in white primer even. Such cool models!

4 hours ago, Antinea said:

Started my Firebranded. Initial idea was a saturated green and a desaturated purple as base colours. But somehow it doesn't look great. Any way to improve that, ideally without having to strip everything?

20-02-02_shirt_base.thumb.jpg.d18248f29b3807257d96dc979399dd94.jpg

I get a bit of Link cosplay from these, which is kinda cool. I really like the pop of light purple, awesome color. I think if you add OSL from the flames to yellow it up a bit you'll have it. You could also dry brush the cloaks with some other color to give them a tinge away from that deep green if you desire.

5 hours ago, Antinea said:

Started my Firebranded. Initial idea was a saturated green and a desaturated purple as base colours. But somehow it doesn't look great. Any way to improve that, ideally without having to strip everything?

20-02-02_shirt_base.thumb.jpg.d18248f29b3807257d96dc979399dd94.jpg

Are white pants part of the scheme? I quite fancy the paint scheme as it stands. Just needs some shadows, highlights and fire and you're done.

But if you're not into the colours, just paint over it.

____

2 hours ago, Stranglelove said:

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Suffering from a bit of eyestrain, but yes:D

10 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Are white pants part of the scheme? I quite fancy the paint scheme as it stands. Just needs some shadows, highlights and fire and you're done.

But if you're not into the colours, just paint over it.

No. I wanted the pants to be a pale yellowish brow, so selected VMC Beige and the results is absolutely atrocious

.20-02-02_trousers_base.thumb.jpg.bf7046737ccca01c7625608b0fd1716b.jpg

So they are soaking in IPA at the moment. And that will allow me to remove some mold lines I forgot or didn't see first and to eliminate an area with a grainy primer layer.
I won't change much for next trial: probably a more bluish green / turquoise for the cape, a more reddish violer but muted with a pale grey instead of pure white. And I'm still looking for a pale light brown/beige for the pant, probably VMC silver grey.

2 hours ago, Antinea said:

And I'm still looking for a pale light brown/beige for the pant, probably VMC silver grey.

Yea VMC Beige is fairly yellow. I quite like it as highlighting ingredient. Makes for some interesting colours.

I hope you find something you like. If it's any consolation you can probably slop quite a bit of paint on a model looking for the right thing before it gets irredeemably thick. I know that's how many of my paintjobs go.

9 hours ago, Stranglelove said:

That will finish my CotBM company!

Fantastic! I can't wait to see how your Noodle Wyrm turns out. There's not enough painted examples of that glorious model out there. :)

For me, I'm planning to male progress on my ECB Black Ops, and get through a pile of Striped Skulkers;

3lo2uFk.jpg

Part of me wants to get into finishing Zipps crew, but the call of Meridian is too strong. ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some great work already happening here!

My pledge for this month, the first model for my first proper Malifaux crew: Sidir Alchibal. This is one of the most badass miniatures I own and I’m very excited to paint it. I’m thinking of going for white robe with red trims and red turban.

D8BC351E-701F-4741-8063-5CB21250E88B.thumb.jpeg.585f9b4e677402f02e057d865476645a.jpeg 

• Like 3