Flipped Severe - Chose Weak

GrumpyGrandpa

Question

Hey all

Recently played against someone, where we ended up in a weird discussion. 

He was hitting a friendly model, who relented on the attack. He then flipped 3 cards that were all 11+ (On negative) I was pretty stoked about this, since he pretty much obliterated his own model.

He, however, said that he could just choose to do Weak instead, since it is his own model. I was pretty confused about the whole thing, but said sure and let it pass. 

Later in the turn, he attacked one of my models with the “Bombs in yer’ belly” upgrade from Sparks. He flipped a single card from the deck on damage, and hit a 12. Normally this would mean my model takes Severe damage and would, thanks to the upgrade, do a Moderate blast on his own model. He then said he’d rather just do Weak damage, but didn’t need to cheat a card in (he just “downgraded” the Severe damage)

Have you guys ever seen the rules on this or?

4 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Hey all

Recently played against someone, where we ended up in a weird discussion. 

He was hitting a friendly model, who relented on the attack. He then flipped 3 cards that were all 11+ (On negative) I was pretty stoked about this, since he pretty much obliterated his own model.

He, however, said that he could just choose to do Weak instead, since it is his own model. I was pretty confused about the whole thing, but said sure and let it pass. 

Later in the turn, he attacked one of my models with the “Bombs in yer’ belly” upgrade from Sparks. He flipped a single card from the deck on damage, and hit a 12. Normally this would mean my model takes Severe damage and would, thanks to the upgrade, do a Moderate blast on his own model. He then said he’d rather just do Weak damage, but didn’t need to cheat a card in (he just “downgraded” the Severe damage)

Have you guys ever seen the rules on this or?

Either your opponent cheated against you or has picked up a rule from somewhere that isn't actually a rule. Either instance they were incorrect and should have taken severe on the relented attack and then the 'bombs in yer belly damage' (or could have cheated the weak card in).

One thing I would say is if something doesn't seem right query it with your opponent. This should be the normal mindset rather than it being awkward.

Hope that helps

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Others have already answered above, and my reply is pure speculation, but I think your opponent was confused and thinking about choosing a result based on Fate Modifiers. If a player flips one or more negative flips they have to choose the lowest (not counting Red Joker). If they flip one or more positive flips they can choose whichever card they want, high or low (not counting Black Joker). 

He might of been confusing that rule for the way he played.

This is from page 9 of the pdf rules.

Screenshot_20200120-200136.png

10 hours ago, Cleezy said:

One thing I would say is if something doesn't seem right query it with your opponent. This should be the normal mindset rather than it being awkward.

^This, it doesn't take that long (but obviously, don't query everything).

I guess this could be that player's group also play another game(s) with that kind of degrading rule and they end mixing them and never thought about it; I've seen those kind of smash up rules before. It doesn't have to be straight up cheating.

Attacking your own model is risky, the severe damage is rare (like 1,1% rare for a non-H2W model with a fresh deck), but it happens.