Sleeping Basse

im_open_to_suggestions

21 minutes ago, Irritated Walrus said:

I have really liked him as well. You can jump out on others or drop schemes early. That being said, his Keyword seems much more squishy than others. What are you doing to keep your models alive? 

No Prisoners on Reichart and strategic Bird sacrifice on the austringers.  Basse is very survivable with his defense trigger and im not bothered about the rest dying tbh as they have usually served their purpose.

Honestly, home on the range is a nice crew ability but I feel like it makes it super easy to over extend. Part of it may be a difference in metas. I play against 10T and Neverborn a lot. Starting my models closer to McCabe, Asami, Nekima, or Collodi (some of my most played match ups) just doesn't sound too enticing to me. On first glance the crew does appear to be "squishy." Reducing the movement you need to score is good though! I haven't picked up Basse yet, but I am contemplating it. 

Good job winning the Scottish tournament! I believe this means it is time to initiate phase 2 of the Guild's plan. Everyone, we must now sweep every tournament across the world using Guild! Turn those faction power rankings upside down! 

16 hours ago, Alerteddonkey42 said:

Honestly, home on the range is a nice crew ability but I feel like it makes it super easy to over extend. Part of it may be a difference in metas. I play against 10T and Neverborn a lot. Starting my models closer to McCabe, Asami, Nekima, or Collodi (some of my most played match ups) just doesn't sound too enticing to me. On first glance the crew does appear to be "squishy." Reducing the movement you need to score is good though! I haven't picked up Basse yet, but I am contemplating it. 

Its only on Wedge that deploying closer becomes a real worry. most other deployments it goes more heavily in your favor than the opponents.  His box minions fold to a sneeze so don't advise taking them. Austringers can survive a massive hit thanks to the bird.

4 hours ago, im_open_to_suggestions said:

Its only on Wedge that deploying closer becomes a real worry. most other deployments it goes more heavily in your favor than the opponents.  His box minions fold to a sneeze so don't advise taking them. Austringers can survive a massive hit thanks to the bird.

Austringers are great Vendetta models too - 14” bird attack at stat 6 ignoring cover concealment and los means it’s easy to plink a damage at range vs a target, and then you can hang back to stay safe for the second point, and ditch the upgrade to take a hit if need be (and possibly reattach it on your activation with a melee attack, though you’ll likely need a high tome for it).

Also I think Basse is a solid option as a second master beater if you need one.

5 hours ago, im_open_to_suggestions said:

I feel like my regular opponents are more into alpha strike crews than is typical of other metas in 3e. Even in standard deployment (without home on the range) they will get into my lines for attacks on turn 1. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, im_open_to_suggestions said:

I honestly like using that ability in wedge to help get my deployment a little more straight across even than it would be otherwise.

On 1/15/2020 at 12:56 PM, im_open_to_suggestions said:

Having just won the first Scottish Tournament with Basse in guild I have to say he is a big sleeper in terms of masters.  the potential damage output is mental and there are only a few schemes/strats I wouldn't be happy to take him into.  You heard it here first.  Basse OP ;) 

Curious what you're using for the damage output apart from Basse/Reichart, and I'm curious what those "few schemes/strats" you wouldn't take Basse into are?

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 2:54 PM, Yore Huckleberry said:

Curious what you're using for the damage output apart from Basse/Reichart, and I'm curious what those "few schemes/strats" you wouldn't take Basse into are?

Austringers, pale rider mainly, use the rider to hammer a load of injured onto something then let basse, baby basse and richeart hit something hard.

Scheme wise im not a fan of dig their graves or detonate charges.  My go to are vendetta every time and harness every time.  Search the ruins is also fairly easy but that's too table dependent.

12 minutes ago, im_open_to_suggestions said:

Austringers, pale rider mainly, use the rider to hammer a load of injured onto something then let basse, baby basse and richeart hit something hard.

Scheme wise im not a fan of dig their graves or detonate charges.  My go to are vendetta every time and harness every time.  Search the ruins is also fairly easy but that's too table dependent.

That's about what I've thought through with Basse so far. Do you play the Austringers "back" (e.g., the front of the original deployment zone) and use walk/focus/bird attacks, or do you also find yourself using standard ranged shots with them?

The other issue I find in Basse games is the crew stringing out and winding up with an isolated forward target -- do you generally run Basse/Reichart/Rider more or less together, along with Bernadette for the lure? That really is a pretty big hammer.

And finally, what about traps? I've found hiring 2-3 to be an effective way to slow my opponent's expansion in one direction, and to force them to either slow down or string out beaters. I've experimented with bringing one Pathfinder just to let the traps reposition for the amusing focus/charge attack. Any thoughts there?

1 hour ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

That's about what I've thought through with Basse so far. Do you play the Austringers "back" (e.g., the front of the original deployment zone) and use walk/focus/bird attacks, or do you also find yourself using standard ranged shots with them?

The other issue I find in Basse games is the crew stringing out and winding up with an isolated forward target -- do you generally run Basse/Reichart/Rider more or less together, along with Bernadette for the lure? That really is a pretty big hammer.

And finally, what about traps? I've found hiring 2-3 to be an effective way to slow my opponent's expansion in one direction, and to force them to either slow down or string out beaters. I've experimented with bringing one Pathfinder just to let the traps reposition for the amusing focus/charge attack. Any thoughts there?

Austringers I usually activate last and drop a focus bird onto something that's wandered into range.  if I manage to lure something out of position I have found myself hammering something with 2 standard shots and a budgie to make sure I maximize damage.

With the forward deployment I don't tend to move my models out so they are unlikely to get strung out.  usually I pair basse and reichart on one side and then let the pale rider's mobility to move it back and forth to when needed.

I am not a fan of traps at all, I take one in my standard list and a pathfinder.  if I have the card to make another I might summon one but there the other zeros have more value.

The list is pretty much what I said to my local Basse player when he was struggling with the Frontier keyword.

As said the standard minion in the core box are basically useless, at best expendable scheme runners, at worst a really small speed bump.

Basse and Reichart are real heavy hitters especially if using the PR aggressively earlier (and not necessarily waiting for the turn 3 bonus) to injure. Makes landing those focus shots easier and spiking the damage up nicely. 

Austringers are for sure MVPs in this crew, again I said to my local that these guys can just utilise that range and problems. I missed the stream of the last game at the Scottish event which is a shame as I am keen to see this in action.

Good job bud

• Like 2

13 hours ago, im_open_to_suggestions said:

On what part?

Didn't you get the memo? Guild shouldn't win games.

The few that you do win should be claimed to be against beginners. Winning a 20 man event is a big no no. It ruins the whole guild narrative that they are no good and should be errata'd to be much better. I'm expecting the tattler to quickly print a retraction about how Scotland is a fictitious place.;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

19 minutes ago, Adran said:

Didn't you get the memo? Guild shouldn't win games.

The few that you do win should be claimed to be against beginners. Winning a 20 man event is a big no no. It ruins the whole guild narrative that they are no good and should be errata'd to be much better. I'm expecting the tattler to quickly print a retraction about how Scotland is a fictitious place.;)

Haha, Guild is the faction that would blanket party those who win consistently :D