Next Level - Lady J

Robbo

I’m fairly new to Lady J and keen to understand how I can take my play to the next level by unlocking some synergies with her crew. 

What successful models have people used to synergise well with a Lady J crew? 

Ive played the following list a few times which I have really enjoyed but felt the Death Marshalls although ok lacked somewhat. 

Lady J, Scales, Judge, 2xDM, Emissary, Lone rider, Guild steward. 5ss

I really enjoyed marching this crew forward with J, emissary and judge and dominating the midfield which I really enjoyed! I followed with DMs and scales and Steward. Lone Marshal flanking. 

Im enjoying this crew but there does feel limited synergies wise and I’m looking to understand any tips and tricks that I can look into with these or other models in keyword or out.

Any cool tips, plays and synergies would be appreciated. 

Cheers! 

add Pale Rider instead of Emissary and you are now in another power level with your list ;) ahah!

One model I really like in Marshall is the Domador! excellent healer that can heal multiple living models while giving injured and a few dmg to an enemy target or you can heal 1 of your living model even on a black joker flip if you choose your model as the target (remember that blast only happens when targeting enemy models) Also the Domador have a lot of synergies with the rest of the crew. They make enemy living models within 5:aura undead for some anti-undead tricks (Exorcist!, DM fast, etc) and they also have command corpse to give more AP to your undead models (can also heal them on a 7+:ram) Her best target for command corpses are the Pale Rider or the Emissary Emissary.

I also like a lot the Jury! Obeys are always strong and helpful! You can surprise your opponent with a clutch Obey to make nasty stuff with his models or give even more AP to Pale Rider! ;) She is a powerhouse vs certain keyword too!

• Agree 1

I’d agree on the Jury: obeys, reflective damage, and circumstantial work out of the false accusation and into dust trigger to make/kill undead models.

Lady J’s crew can also outrange most opponents: it’s not hard to stall activations by focusing Death Marshals or Exorcists round one, and Lady J can “bookend” activations by going in late and striking a flank, then starting a round to kill one or more pieces. The Lone Marshal has very powerful ranged threats and a ranged startle that can help keep threats from advancing (startle is very strong vs things like Viktorias, with lots of out of activation movement).

Of note: Lady J’s 2” engagement range means that you can engage a 1” engagement model and it has to either disengage or walk/attack you, which is sort of like giving it auto-slow, since it can’t charge/attack.

The Judge has strong attacks at range or melee and the card cycling ability is good, especially if you have the Guild Steward or a Domador to offer healing in early rounds on and mitigate the damage risk.

If you’re in wedge or something, building into Lady J and the Judge as a charge, then having exorcists to ignore friendly fire and domadores to heal your units and damage the opponents can lead to a powerful set of advantages in a melee scrum.

This is also definitely a crew that loves the Pale Rider’s “everyone charges” bubble, possibly more than the slow/burning bubble: Lone Marshal, Lady J, and Judge all get big attacks off that, and even death marshals or exorcists do fine with it in the right positioning.

1 hour ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

This is also definitely a crew that loves the Pale Rider’s “everyone charges” bubble, possibly more than the slow/burning bubble: Lone Marshal, Lady J, and Judge all get big attacks off that, and even death marshals or exorcists do fine with it in the right positioning.

Its the rare crew that I see actually get more out of the charge aura than the pulse damage, when I'm looking back at it after a game.  You just tend to miss enough attacks that you get more out of the auto-damage and slow.  That being said, the psychological effect of making 5 or 6 models charge might be a greater effect than the 5r.

So the pale rider can make everything charge at the end of its activation even if it’s already charged? That’s very strong in a lady J crew if that’s correct. I need to see if I can get him in my list!  Any more clever plays he can pull off?

This is all fantastic information that I will take further with my lady J crew and it gives me some elements to practise with over the next few weeks to ready me for a local tournament. Thanks for the info, great stuff! 

3 minutes ago, jimr0880 said:

So the pale rider can make everything charge at the end of its activation even if it’s already charged?

It's a bonus action so you can do it whenever you'd spend your other APs. It doesn't let you ignore the Once per activation limit.

But once per activation means exactly that. If Lady charges on her own activation, she can still charge on the rider's activation.

Ah yes charge action thanks for the clarification. That’s awesome and very powerful if it comes off especially if J has already managed to get 3 attacks off in her own activation! Or yet to activate 

guild hounds perhaps for idols? Although in a j crew they’re not ideal as they’re out of keyword so perhaps looking at marshals 

I’ll see if I can manage a list although I’m struggling to get all the yummy stuff In now which is a nice problem to have! 

Lady J is my girl! She's my main in 3e and i'm sure i've played more games with her than any other master. The Marshal keyword has some synergies but isn't so dependent on it that they either require all in keyword / struggle if you go OOK. 

Marshal really wants to play into:
- Undead
- Summoners
- Terrifying
- Incorporeal
- Buried things
- Conditions
Preferably some mix of all the above. While they work well against Living crews, you'll find they shine when up against those attributes. 

Lady J is at face value a big beater. She's scary and comes with a reputation. So first thing you need to do is use that to your advantage. Your opponent will either give her room on the board or decide to dogpile her. Plan around this. Secondly note that her Leap + 2" engagement means she's an excellent schemer or area denial piece. I often find she threatens/kills things early game and is an A+ schemer in the later turns. 

As others have noted, the Obey game is really strong with Marshal (and this is often overlooked when people think about Marshal). Domadores bring an Undead only Obey that only needs a 7 & on a ram can heal your target. Jury has a suited Obey that only needs an 8. These 2 have great synergy with Death Marshals as well as Pale Rider & the Emissary. 

If you need speed or an independent piece, the Lone Marshal is the best. He's become a nearly auto take for me. He can hold a flank on his own or keep up with J. Recently I've been running him + Expert Marksman along side J as a big scary combo. He'll get the initial shots in and then J will swoop in and kill something. This should give the LM Focused & heal J. They're also a potent scheming combo.

It's good to call out that this keyword has access to the most Ruthless in faction (LM + 2 Exorcists + Pale Rider). Exorcists can also be obnoxious against anyone that uses corpses or scrap markers due to their free action. And remember that Scales is significant, so can claim Turf Markers, carry Explosives, or drop scheme markers. 

• Like 2

Thanks for that comprehensive breakdown sweet tooth I’ll read it again and again and try to remember all that info. 

The lone marshal with upgrade looks like a useful take. 

Now just to fit all these awesome tactics into a useable list as so many awesome combos above. 

Any one tried greed ? Seems a good source of providing lady j with decent soulstones incoming for attack and defence? Not much synergy otherwise but could keep J going for a fair while? 

22 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Its the rare crew that I see actually get more out of the charge aura than the pulse damage, when I'm looking back at it after a game.  You just tend to miss enough attacks that you get more out of the auto-damage and slow.  That being said, the psychological effect of making 5 or 6 models charge might be a greater effect than the 5r.

I think it really depends. If your opponent is bubbled enough, sure, pay one more ram and give a bunch of things slow. But if you get off the charges, the extra movement for Lady J and the Judge can help a lot, and one nice thing about the charge bubble is it’s threat range is your bubble + the push of your models. Even the Death Marshals are no slouches at melee, and you can go with them first to try to burn out your opponent’s hand dealing with them, or reposition them for a late claim of Hold Up Their Forces or something. Anyway, it’s more that the ability shouldn’t be auto-ignored, even if it isn’t always the highest damage output.