Malifaux in metric

solkan

Just a random question, but is it more common for Malifaux in the rest of the world to be played on a 90cm x 90cm table, or a 91.44cm x 91.44cm table?  When measuring distances, is it more common to use 25mm instead of an inch?

Would the game’s distances and the base size interactions make more sense if every reference to “one inch” were replaced by “30mm” (optionally without changing the board dimensions), so the most common base size is the unit of distance?

Disclaimer:  I know how annoying it can be in the US to find a metric tape measure sometimes.  I have to assume that in the rest of the world, it’s equally annoying to try to find a tape measure in inches.

The only issue I'd have, is that if you go to metric, you're going to need to do one of two things.

Either you're going to need to have people do a little bit of additional math for every movement (1 Mv/Rg = 3cm), or you're going to have to readjust a LOT of things for the new system. Every single card gets a readjustment.

And it's not even just a straight multiplier issue. For a start, it'd mean the Move Stat now goes to double figures for pretty much every model. Not a big deal, but one that'd need to factor in. Which leads into the other issue, that being that every Attack, Shockwave and other ability or reference would need to be adjusted (of which there are a lot more in M3E).

I mean, you can't just translate it across. As it stands, against models with 4, 5 and 6 Mv currently, a Shockwave 13 is resisted on a 9, 8 and 7 respectively. If you change that to Move 12, 15 and 18, you either need to give up on consistency, or require more math.

Granted, it's relatively simple math, but it's an additional hurdle that probably creates more confusion than it solves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morgan Vening said:

I mean, you can't just translate it across. As it stands, against models with 4, 5 and 6 Mv currently, a Shockwave 13 is resisted on a 9, 8 and 7 respectively. If you change that to Move 12, 15 and 18, you either need to give up on consistency, or require more math.

Granted, it's relatively simple math, but it's an additional hurdle that probably creates more confusion than it solves.

Okay, yeah.  The Mv stat being used in duels at all pretty much locks that stat into its current value range.  So all of the movement effects would have to be written as "____ per Mv".  Because 13 v Mv/3 or whatever would pretty much be a non starter.

9 hours ago, solkan said:

Okay, yeah.  The Mv stat being used in duels at all pretty much locks that stat into its current value range.  So all of the movement effects would have to be written as "____ per Mv".  Because 13 v Mv/3 or whatever would pretty much be a non starter.

You could move all values to tie into the range that your movement stat is in. It gets a little awkward as the rate of movement increases faster in metric, but you could design for that, and use abilities like Rush to compensate.  Its not impossible, but it probably is a "needs to be created with that intent". At which point you might be better off just avoiding the Mv stat in duels.

In the UK I think almost all tape measures are in both. I didn't even realise other countries didn't have that.

7 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Swede here. Our generic measuring tapes always include both and pretty much every game system uses inches so I never tried converting to cm.

As a sidenote to this, one potential problem is that there is an older Swedish measurment which is often called the same word in Swedish as the translation of an inch. This older measurement is 24,742 mm (compared to 25,4 mm of an inch). However, this is not much of a problem today, as most measuring tapes in Sweden have actual inches nowadays.

• Like 1