Gaston's Guild Dojo and Battle Reports

Gaston

17 hours ago, Mikes said:

*quietly pushes Guard keyword back into paint queue*

Sorry, didn't mean to scare folks off of Dashel. 😞 Just being upfront with my challenges with him. My hope is always two-fold for these write ups--help myself be better by finding my mistakes (plentiful!) and help everyone else be better than me, or at the minimum reduce the learning curve a small bit.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

After a month away, time for my first game of GG1, and I opted for some new and improved Dashel!!!

Wedge - Corrupted Leylines
Take Prisoner
Assassinate
Let Them Bleed
Research Mission
Spread Them Out

Dashel Barker
--The Dispatcher
Executioner
Greed
Rifleman
Rifleman
Steward
Mounted Guard

Viktoria Chambers
--Viktoria Chambers
Taelor
Bishop
Vanessa
Ronin
Ronin
Ronin
Librarian

wGplcp0w_BXag6l73n4CeRP37-hH1zeYR7I_kzWD

Turn 1 Summary

Some scooting around, a Rifleman grabs the right Leyline, a Ronin gets another one. The other Rifleman puts a focus severe shot into a Ronin, Librarian heals it. One Vik moves up and shoots the Rifleman. Guard rides up with Greed, kills the Ronin. Greed tries to poke at the Vik, but no sin tokens. Bishop goes in on Greed, who stones a lot. Executioner leaves Bishop on 2 Wds, other Vik comes in and finishes off Greed.

VkBiBDf4H15GDnuS1fNNJjxyD5XGFnpoKVgO1dbt

Turn 2 Summary

I win Initiative, Executioner tries to walk and punch Bishop, misses. One of the Viks bops the Executioner, the Rifleman tries to kill Bishop, hits the BJ. Bishop goes in on Dashel a bit, Challenges the Mounted Guard. Mounted does Ride With Me to get into melee, kills Bishop, moves to block Taelor. Some combo of Taelor and a Vik drop the Rifleman and Mounted Guard and the Guard Patrol. Dashel charges in and does a few damage to the Vik. Ronin run schemes, Vanessa takes a potshot.

Viktoria: 1 VP (Corrupted Leylines)
Dashel: 1 VP (Corrupted Leylines)

9ZDqRooygwCmGfcB7yjDuM0g2FXzYh-JhJIido59

Turn 3 Summary

A big old mess basically. He gets Dashel below half health. Executioner charges the master Vik, gets her below half, then kills Totem Vik which it turns out heals the other Vik above half health, d’oh.

Viktoria: 3 VP (Corrupted Leylines, Assassinate)
Dashel: 1 VP

v3k11G83TRsxtPh5obOLTaaci0RZ1woiTOKsWPC_

Turn 4 Summary

Other Rifleman dies, Dashel dies,  Executioner misses all his attacks. I concede on time technically.

Lessons Learned:

Ouch! Well on my way to an 8-1 loss, tough tough way to start GG1. I obviously made a lot of mistakes here. I think the biggest ones were from the onset not having a good plan of attack for the strategy, schemes, or opponent. Once the Rifleman grabbed the first point, I didn’t know what I wanted to do with the Lodestone, nor did I ever challenge my opponent’s Lodestone model. I also ditched the Lawyer, hoping to rely on the Dispatcher for card draw, definitely a big mistake. I failed to summon Turn 1 (had a 13 for an Executioner, used it to kill the Ronin--yes, obviously a terrible trade in retrospect). I did learn that the Dispatcher really cranks up the Executioners, and I should be better planning for that in the future.

@Kolath

• Like 1

Some more test games, this time with Nellie!!! 

We shook up our normal game style with a different format: play “half games” to 1hr 30 mins or Turn 3-ish, then dojo the rest of the points and reset. The idea is that we can get “twice” the games in, but also learn and adjust crews and planning from Game #1 to Game #2.

Flank - Symbols of Authority
Spread Them Out
Runic Binding
Hidden Martyrs
Claim Jump
Leave Your Mark

Nellie
-The Printing Press
Phiona Gage
---Lead Lined Coat
Dr. Grimwell
The Lone Marshal
Papa Loco
Field Reporter

Going into Zipp, I planned out a few things:
--Papa Loco for removing piano markers (also to double into Hidden Martyrs)
--The Lone Marshal to ignore Concealment (terrain, Zipp, Iron Skeeters, Merris sometimes). I also wanted the speed.
--Phiona with LLC cannot be moved by all of Zipp’s pushy attacks which is nice
--Dr. Grimwell for some speed scheming as well

Captain Zipp
---12 Cups of Coffee
-Earl Burns
Mancha Roja
---Inferiority Complex
Gracie
---2 Gremlins in a Ghillie Suit
Lucky Emissary
---Inferiority Complex
Gluttony

Holy upgrades Batman! I guess that is one way to test them!

-GbBYsGQmouvY5id4a_r9MT5PBoxgS_yjTZ01Aho

Turn 1 Summary

A fair amount of shuffling around. Gracie pulls up Mancha, Zipp pulls up Earl, they drop some pianos. Papa Loco picks up some pianos. Lone Marshal walks, charges, puts a shot into Earl but get the BJ on damage. Emissary rolls forward then into the Marshal, 3 damage. Phiona walks and pulls up Nellie. Macha goes in on Nellie who passes the attack off to Phiona for no damage. Nellie focus debuffs the Emissary with her aura up. My Reporter scoots up the side to cover one of the strategy markers and drops a scheme marker for a second turn push.

avZBSxyzjDAMkxLRIB5R93lhKnEMdCF9ZHFbiIQP

Turn 2 Summary

Nellie leads off, lays the smack down on Macha Roja, and does some decent damage to him with moderates on negative. Zipp and Earl come in on Grimwell. The Rider staggers the Emissary, disengages, then charges and shoots Earl. Puts another shot into the Emissary. Gluttony pulls Grimwell into a piano. Phiona lays down a scheme marker, pulls Grimwell out of combat and range of Zipp’s aura. She charges and pokes Mancha. Printing Press lights the Emissary on fire, Loco takes it to 1 Wd.

4Fn1mKZydzrsvwRTR_BDhvlsH-B8H01_OXz8jw3H

Game called on time here. Dojo: Gracie was going to work to try to get out of the woods, Grimwell was backed up away from Zipp and able to push away from the Emissary, set to either finish off Mancha or nab the middle strat marker. Field Reporter was then free to push off the scheme marker, turn a corner and pick up the strat marker as well and beeline to the backfield.

---------------

Nellie
-The Printing Press
Phiona Gage
---Lead Lined Coat
Dr. Grimwell
The Lone Marshal
Papa Loco
Field Reporter

Captain Zipp
---12 Cups of Coffee
-Earl Burns
Mancha Roja
---Inferiority Complex
Gracie
Lucky Emissary
Gluttony
Wrastler

Less upgrades, this time he brought in a Wrastler for a spare source of condition removal (Toss in the Mud). I was fairly happy with my crew and left them unchanged. I was obnoxious and dropped a Symbol directly in the center of the table, blocking easy movement between the house and the boxes (not destructible this game). 

NZ1EQv49xnggmGguNOsB5FqjoUByIWBGjTJqqxFL

Turn 1 Summary

Reporter scoots up, drops a scheme marker, Grimwell runs up, hides behind a building and pushes her. Gracie rides up the Wrastler. Some scheme markers get dropped, Zipp eats them for focus, and he and Burns go Reporter hunting, do 3 damage to her. Phiona pulls up Nellie, Papa walks up and tosses a grenade. Emissary rolls on up, as does Mancha and Gluttony. Marshal walks, charges, shoots Wrastler down to 1 Wd. Wraster runs away. Nellie has Mancha charge and kill the Wrastler.

PoXfYUVtY2JiIHRX8V_xRZsyrmfetPIdjd7QiirC

Turn 2 Summary

Nellie leads off, cycles some cards, screws over Macha and the Emissary. Zipp finishes off the Reporter (I score Hidden Martyrs), then he flies over. Earl chain gangs Mancha up to remove slow from the Emissary with Toss in the Mud, makes some pianos. Gluttony ends up pulling Nellie into a piano for 2 damage. Lone Marshal charges and puts some damage on the Emissary, picks up a strat marker. Grimwell scoots up to drop a scheme marker. Emissary rolls over and puts 6 damage on Nellie. Papa backs up, tosses a grenade to hurt Earl and Mancha. Gracie charges Phiona for 1 damage, Phiona smacks her right back. 

Nellie: 3 VP (Symbols, Martyrs, Mark)
Zipp: 0 VP

Gcua6CFvRHyUca0aAmgKbH0x17joTR0apU-rvCFd

Turn 3 Summary

He wins initiative, Mancha leaves Nellie on 1 Wd. Nellie goes, cycles cards, debuffs the Emissary and Gracie. Zipp kills Nellie, misses the attacks on Grimwell. Grimwell kills Earl, attacks Emissary. Gracie bites on Phiona, up to 5 damage now. Printing Press pulls the Emissary back, lights it on fire, and charges (focus on both attacks).

PUZBeD5IRFp5lAdAluXHeFP2HuTGNNEh2y2G9-c2

Game gets called on time here. He has Gluttony, the Emissary on fire with 4 Wds, and Gracie with 3 Wds left. I have Lone Marshal, Papa Loco, and Phiona to go. Mancha is down to 3 Wds as well. If Phiona drops Gracie, then he gets nothing for Claim Jump, if Loco drops the Emissary he is in serious trouble, not having enough fast models to score points. Likely he’ll get the center strat marker at some point, but the rest hangs on a bit of a knife’s edge. I figure my Marshal can walk, charge Gluttony last. Try to get initiative next turn, pick up the marker, charge away to the next marker and maybe shoot down another beater?

Lessons Learned: First two games with Nellie, and I think I’m in love. I adored Pandora in Neverborn, and Nellie seems right up that alley. One big lesson was that Nellie ended up facing the brunt of my opponent’s forces in game #2, and that is not a great place for her to be. I wanted her in there to cover the strategy marker and bottleneck him up, which worked great, and Nellie was really the only choice. I don’t have Dade, but obviously she could have filled that role for me as well. 

List wise, I think I failed to make the proper synergies with Grimwell, I didn’t have enough staggered available. I think that the Pale Rider alleviates this, I just opted for the Lone Marshal this game due to concealment. Lone Marshal paid off big time, really liked Run and Gun on him, and the stat 7, he is now fully painted up!

This was also my first game with Papa Loco despite buying the Perdita box to start Guild (lotta firsts here) and I respect his abilities. I wonder if he wouldn’t slot well into a Stagger themed Lucius list, the 3 damage on the shockwave is fairly impressive. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

With the virus striking, my gaming ability has declined, as has the chances to type up games. So here are some games anyway!

I wanted to play Corrupted Leylines a bit more, as it feels like that is the strategy I may struggle the most with. I still wanted to play around with neo-Dashel, as I think that his crew is deceptively fast and you can generate more “interact AP” to toss the lodestone via summoning.

Corner - Corrupted Leylines
Take Prisoner
Claim Jump
Runic Binding
Breakthrough
Research Mission

Gross scheme pool. Take Prisoner is rough with Zipp’s overall mobility, Research Mission I don’t really have the models to do it. Runic Binding is not a great idea with 12 Cups of Coffee, so I ended up with Breakthrough and Claim Jump.

Dashel, 4ss
-Dispatcher
Queeg
Executioner
-Lead Lined Coat
Executioner
-Lead Lined Coat
Warden
Warden
Guild Steward

Zipp, 6ss
---12 Cups of Coffee
-Earl Burns
Iron Skeeter
---Two Gremlins in a Ghillie Suit
Mancha Roja
Lucky Emissary
The First Mate
---12 Cups of Coffee

LMIP5jn_lJcyogBXUlw_G1a151Ve636-vDpRwPFh

Turn 1 Summary

Models shuffle forward, both Executioners gain fast. Dashel lacks 12’s, sad face, so I summon a Sergeant for the very first time. Zip makes a bunch of pianos in the middle. One of the Executioners is able to clear 2 of them, then attach Mancha. The other Executioner attacks Mancha as well. We both cap our Leylines.

vwXKqQ8aw9mrb-lCHbe7Mwz1NzbSIs9N6HmMzNK9

Turn 2 Summary

I start off with a fairly risky play, run the Dispatcher up behind both Executioners. I figure with Serene Countenance and Protected, I should be able to shunt off any attacks, get some card draw, and all the bonus attacks. Instead Zipp shoots the Executioners with a blast gun and uses the blast damage to kill the Dispatcher. An Iron Skeeter pulls Mancha out of combat. Everything just kinda beats up on the middle. Queeg is able to make it to the center marker. Dashel is able to shoot the First Mate with Drop It, but he Butterfly Jumps on top of the marker so I cannot summon.

Dashel: 2 VP (Corrupted Leylines, Claim Jump)
Zipp: 1 VP (Corrupted Leylines)

IIP6w6mppkK3rCIdqm78gV0KKweI0PulIuUnjEMl

Turn 3 Summary

Zipp and First Mate go in to kill Dashel, leave him on 2 wounds. Dashel kills off First Mate, summons a Guard Patrol. Skeeter kills Guard Patrol. Executioner kills Earl, other Executioner gets Mancha back down to 4 Wds (been healing a bit). Emissary rolls on up to the center marker. Queeg and the two Wardens play catch with the Lodestone to get it over to the back corner. 

Dashel: 3 VP (Corrupted Leylines)
Zipp: 2 VP (Corrupted Leylines)

L3ZRioEAgzfbQWDHG59hsEvzVZdrTrHJqL3YjgZC

Game ends on time/planning on shortening game to get second game in.

Kept the same strategy, but tried to shuffle the schemes a bit.

Wedge - Corrupted Leylines
-Claim Jump
-Runic Binding
-Hidden Martyrs
-Spread Them Out
-Breakthrough

Dashel Barker
-The Dispatcher
Queeg
Steward
Papa Loco
Executioner
-Lead Lined Coat
Executioner
-Lead Lined Coat

Zipp
---12 Cups of Coffee
-Earl Burns
The First Mate
Iron Skeeter
Lucky Emissary
---12 Cups of Coffee
Flying Piglet
Johan Creedy

I pulled Breakthrough and Hidden Martyrs on Steward and Loco. If my memory is correct, he had Martyrs on the Piglet and First Mate and Breakthrough as well.

Turn 1 Summary

Things shuffle forward cautiously, Dashel summons a Mounted Guard, then all hell breaks loose. Zipp uses 12 Cups to focus, rolls on up, puts a blast shot into Dashel, another into the Executioner with RJ cheating damage. After armor, he did 17 damage in 2 shots and killed the Dispatcher with blast. In mediocre revenge, I put an Executioner onto Zipp.

tGpn6sUCEakw1pAk5srvTk288HdZir0ebwVYqvIc

Turn 2 Summary

Executioners try to work over Zipp, but he escapes with 2 Wds to spare, he lays out a ton of damage on the Executioners again. Papa Loco chucks the soap to Queeg, moves on up. Queeg scoots to the middle, puts the soap on an Executioner so it cannot be pushed away from the center leyline. Earl Chain Gangs the Emissary, who then scoots across the table to another leyline marker. The Flying Piglet zips up and lays a scheme marker, Dashel promptly turns it into another Mounted Guard, heals Executioners. Steward heals Executioners. 

Dashel: 1 VP (Corrupted Leylines)
Zipp: 1 VP (Corrupted Leylines)

bh40EvlkWdpfx2XZKlL-HKnsYVQwDe-QjRUQSkQP

Turn 3 Summary

The Emissary rolls on back to the middle of the table. I am able to get an Executioner onto Zipp to kill him, but BJ the flip. Since I am on 1 Wd, I have the Trail of Gore action….which I cannot take thanks to 12 Cups. Executioner dies. Dashel summons another Executioner. Johan and Skeeter kill it. Johan also heals Zipp. An Executioner uses Scatter to push the Emissary off the Leyline, Burns uses Chain Gang to push it back. Queeg kills Earl Burns. Zipp drops Dashel down to 3 Wds with shooting.

Dashel: 3 VP (Corrupted Leylines, Breakthrough)
Zipp: 2 VP (Corrupted Leylines)

BqhEeKBfM56YoCkiYO35nG1mnt59opZ-xPdqrA5c

Lessons Learned: Obviously the first game went slightly better than the second, but losing the Dispatcher so very quickly to blast was pretty rough. Especially with the crazy damage that Zipp was putting out. I’m not sure why, but Dashel doesn’t seem to click very well with me, despite the fact that I love him. I have had similar issues with Neverborn Marcus, so it is likely just my own personal issue. One thing to consider is maybe summoning a couple of Guard Patrol on Turn 1 instead to have them use a bunch of “Take the Hit”? I also have a love/hate relationship with Queeg. I like the push and the fast, they are great, but they are hard to leverage after Turn 1 and he doesn’t really bring anything effective to the table other than just walking around.

Flank - Public Enemies
-Let Them Bleed
-Take Prisoner
-Leave Your Mark
-Runic Binding
-Spread Them Out

Public Enemies is actually a new one for me, but it seems to be one of the simpler strategies. I opted for Lady Justice for it, also my first time playing her (but I painted all these models, and I’m gonna use them, virtually or not!). My opponent declared Bayou Zoraida, so I had to do a quick scramble and adjust by adding in a second master, Perdita! Obey this!!!

Lady Justice
-Scales of Justice
Perdita
Lone Marshal
Pale Rider
Domador de Cadaveres

Let Them Bleed is too hard and Take Prisoner requires leaving things alive (yuck), so I went for Leave Your Mark and Spread Them Out. I took 2 horses for some speed, but both have guns so they can theoretically contribute from the flank while making it more difficult for Zoraida to Obey them. Domador for the heals obviously. Sadly, this crew plays exactly the way I hate: kill first, scheme later.

Zoraida
Spawn Mother
McTavish
Gautraeux Bokor
Gremlin Crier
Old Cranky
--12 Cups of Coffee
Will o’ the Wisp

9Z54utzJ4EZLOaY1ISTmqf4n0kRqK8Yg8vjgXlyx

Turn 1

Crier rolls on up the flank, Pale Rider pulls Perdita forward, walks, and shoots at the Crier, discovers that he has Intimidating Authority (should’ve focused instead). Wisp rolls up, Perdita uses Bravado, focus, shoots, kills it, and puts up Finger on the Trigger. Spawn Mother makes and egg and some Gupps, Lady J walks twice, leaps, and puts two swings into McTavish. First one is a BJ miss, second does 5 damage. Zoraida pulls McTavish back and gives him fast. Old Cranky goes in on Lady J and eats a shot from Perdita. McTavish puts 3 shots into Lady J, 2 miss, 1 is reduced to 0 due to a soulstone (I think his hand was pretty bad by this point given what he let me cheat in). Lone Marshal focuses, charges and kills a Gupps.

himjFoB3Ln-E7OBWxnuiVHPoIxqjEfXBJgJf1vmh

Turn 2

I cheat in the Red Joker to go first. Lady Justice kills off Old Cranky, leaps, gets the trigger to hit McTavish (damaged reduced to zero via soulstone). Next attack hits him, kills, trigger lets me hit the Bokor for 4 damage, next swing kills it. Pretty solid go for Lady J. That was the most action for the turn, Spawn Mother spawns more Gupps, Lone Marshal puts 5 damage onto her. Perdita drops the Crier to 1 Wd. Pale Rider schemes and focuses. Scales and Domador run to the middle, Zoraida meets them there. The Domador actually did put 2 Wds on Zoraida with a focused Decay.

Lady Justice: 1 VP (Public Enemies)
Zoraida: 0 VP

TMHnrnWH3xkWWMEsjp8JjTLj3TkrQaoYLB9IOR3V

Game ended on time, alas Vassal, alas.

Lessons Learned: I think my gameplan worked out pretty well. I was decently set up for the Pale Rider to bomb the Crier and lay another scheme, Lady J and drop 2 more and I start scoring schemes next turn. I figure it’ll probably take at least 2 turns to focus down Zoraida, just because of the Regrets trigger. Lone Marshal also needs to finish off the Spawn Mother sooner rather than later, kinda 50/50 on if he can pull that off, due to soulstone reduction. My opponent actually had Take Prisoner on the Domador, which is not a bad pick for something to leave alive. It got denied accidentally by the Scales, who it turns out is significant. Overall, a crew that sets out to kill, went out there and killed, pretty straightforward.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gaston said:

An Iron Skeeter pulls Mancha out of combat. 

Fly With Me, unlike Ride With Me, can not be used in combat or to carry someone who is engaged. The Iron Skeeter shouldn't have been able to do this. 

Thank you for the reports BTW, I enjoy them. I just bought Dashel  during the Easter sale and I love some of the new models! 

1 hour ago, Trample said:

Fly With Me, unlike Ride With Me, can not be used in combat or to carry someone who is engaged. The Iron Skeeter shouldn't have been able to do this. 

Thank you for the reports BTW, I enjoy them. I just bought Dashel  during the Easter sale and I love some of the new models! 

From memory, we were playing it as the Skeeter could not be engaged, but the target could. Reading the card though, you are correct, that little "unengaged" word slipped in there somehow... ;) Dashel is amazing, other than the part that I cannot play him very well, lol!