Announcing the Direct to Retail Program

Kyle

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 4:52 PM, Postmortem said:

A certain NA distributor and its exclusive partner have been playing some nasty games to the detriment of companies, gamers, and the smaller FLGS. 

I sincerely hope that other companies mirror your action and it helps loosen the iron grip they are trying to impose on our hobby.

I feel one of the UK distributor has been doing the same and the front-end online shop was also 20% higher than any other shop, but these were nearly unable to get their hands on stuff.

Distributors are playing hard ball. Bound to happen. Middlemen don't like to hear that they are not needed. I suppose the good news is that your LGS can order direct!

Current distribution models are 20th century dinosaurs, mixed with 21st century greed.  Distributors should never be a choke point to us getting products. It’s antithetical to their whole purpose. 

KS has been causing them sleepless nights and along comes Wyrd and they jump at the opportunity to bully the little guy that is stepping out of line.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Postmortem said:

Distributors are playing hard ball. Bound to happen. Middlemen don't like to hear that they are not needed. I suppose the good news is that your LGS can order direct!

Current distribution models are 20th century dinosaurs. KS has been causing them sleepless nights and along comes Wyrd and they jump at the opportunity to bully the little guy.

It’s more a concern over shipping costs.  Their current plan is to take orders at the end of the month and lump in with restocks.

9 hours ago, Clockwork_Fish said:

Not to be a downer, but I understand that Lion Rampant in Canada has dropped Malifaux from the list of games they distribute over this?  It’s causing some fatalism in our local LGS.

Goddamnit Lion Rampant. Don't ruin another game for Canadians...

On 1/25/2020 at 6:34 PM, Postmortem said:

Current distribution models are 20th century dinosaurs, mixed with 21st century greed.  Distributors should never be a choke point to us getting products. It’s antithetical to their whole purpose. 

KS has been causing them sleepless nights and along comes Wyrd and they jump at the opportunity to bully the little guy that is stepping out of line.

The thing is that a middlemen is still needed, since the stores still need a freight forwarder. Having a distributor simplified a lot of things in this case. The stores will keep going to Lion Rampant for so many other brands and product.

Okay, Lion Rampant wasn't the best distributor, we all can agree on that, but let's see how this will work out. There is already an store in my area that is thinking about dropping Malifaux for good, and I can't blame them. It's way too much hustle for the revenue they get. We'll see in the following months.

That is a shame to hear. I hope you are able and willing to talk them out of it! 

(Insert sarcasm emote) Store owners love to see you buy things online then play for free in their space😉

I believe that we, as the consumer, drive what the stores sell. It wasn’t always this way, and I think some have a problem with that paradigm shift. Local distributors and stores do not determine what we play and buy, thankfully. If there is no demand from their customers to make it worth the hassle, I don’t blame them either. I do think agency lies within our wallets, though. If they lose revenue to competitors because of a line they chose not to carry, it’s on them.

Either way, a homogenous game community, supported by a distribution chain that carries only what they determine has value (based on their exclusive deals), is not great for gaming in the long term. 

Enough of my ramblings. I will continue to do my part! I have money to spend,  a Ulix crew to finish up, and Guild to crush. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Postmortem said:

That is a shame to hear. I hope you are able and willing to talk them out of it! 

(Insert sarcasm emote) Store owners love to see you buy things online then play for free in their space😉

I believe that we, as the consumer, drive what the stores sell. It wasn’t always this way, and I think some have a problem with that paradigm shift. Local distributors and stores do not determine what we play and buy, thankfully. If there is no demand from their customers to make it worth the hassle, I don’t blame them either. I do think agency lies within our wallets, though. If they lose revenue to competitors because of a line they chose not to carry, it’s on them.

Either way, a homogenous game community, supported by a distribution chain that carries only what they determine has value (based on their exclusive deals), is not great for gaming in the long term. 

Enough of my ramblings. I will continue to do my part! I have money to spend,  a Ulix crew to finish up, and Guild to crush. 

I agree with you. I want to play the game, and I want to have somewhere to play it. Short of just paying for the space (which more and more places are doing), I have no way to support my local gaming store when I want to buy Malifaux. It also means that sometimes we lose our table space to games the store DOES carry.

From a store owner's point of view, Malifaux is a hard sell. Unless you have a large player-base, all buying all of their stuff from you, it becomes a hard product to keep ordering and keep on hand. Stores in my area went through a similar spell with Warmachine. A combination of not needing to constantly buy stuff to upgrade your set (like the Magic model of needing new cards every week/month) and the regularity/comfortability at which people buy and sell online, makes keeping the product on a shelf in your store harder and harder.

And this is not a complaint against Wyrd; their game is great, the models are better than a lot of other options out there, and they seem to have a decent idea about how much to release how often (minor exceptions apply). In fact, Wyrd earned a lot of respect from myself and my peers when they announced that they would not be selling product ahead of "street date" at events they were at. That shows that they are thinking of the store owners too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My LGC owner liked this, but it the $350 for free shipping that is a issue with him.    He doesn't have $350 of Malifaux orders a month.   He is also still waiting on the M3E update cards and the mini that he said Wyrd was sending for attending a online meeting.