Perdita: a tactica

Calriel

18 minutes ago, JellyRoll said:

Such an AMAZING work, sir!
Perdita was my first love when I first started Malifaux 16 months ago, but in 3E I never managed to take the best out of her crew. I will surely treasure your tips and I will drink a glass of wine to you once I'll have my first victory with her 

Please let me know how it went, would love to hear your adventures!

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

One point. When speaking about being engaged, remember that Bravado only states "enemy model", not " Closest enemy model", so it's no so hard to concentrate and push through a enemy model and disengage. 

Hey Zebo, 

Thanks for the comment. I'm trying to visualize it. You can push out of combat, of course, if you can push towards an enemy model that is, say, behind you. What do you mean by "push through an emeny model"? 
Because you can't really push through other models... so I'm not sure how you are picturing the situation.

58 minutes ago, Calriel said:

Hey Zebo, 

Thanks for the comment. I'm trying to visualize it. You can push out of combat, of course, if you can push towards an enemy model that is, say, behind you. What do you mean by "push through an emeny model"? 
Because you can't really push through other models... so I'm not sure how you are picturing the situation.

I'm sure that was supposed to be towards, not through.

2 hours ago, Tors said:

If you have a low mask, the Nephilim can charge your own, relenting model and trigger insidious influence to obey it afterwards with any 8+

A bit situational but a solid turn 1 plan

Tors, thanks so much. I do find this a worthwhile addition, so I've devoted a bullet point to it.

I do find it a bit of a Hail Mary plan, as it requires a card (that could be used in almost all circumstances for A Por El) and it requires an 8+, so potentially a second card (!), and you're eating 1 point of damage on what is probably a valuable friendly model.

That being said, if this could win you the game, or kill that Master who is hanging on by 1 Health... who's complaining!

On 1/3/2020 at 7:57 PM, Paddywhack said:

Nice write up. This line should say 'per Activation' though. Important distinction, though from later reading you seem to know. 

Still, no need to get sloppy on my part. Thanks for pointing it out!

I find that Papa Loco doesn’t get near enough credit in this tactica, and I find him more central to the crew, than say Francisco.

Papa’s Throw Dynamite shockwaves are amazing. Most models will need to hit an 8 to avoid 3 damage. This either drains an opponent of cards or of models quickly, and an opponent unable to cheat or act is a lot more manageable. As long as you’ve got cards to chuck, I’d be feeding Papa via A por el and get those sticks flying through the air. As an opponent Papa is my first priority to take down.

In the case of Francisco, I’d say that he is cool and all, but I’m looking more to the Peacekeeper for its ability to draw attention and shrug off damage, while tearing through the opposition.

I also find, that you undervalue Abuela, with her Listen up, young’un and Nice shot, dear, I find that she is great for concentrating pressure.

And I think, Pistoleros could get an honorable mention. 4 Stone and Reckless allows them to scheme like the little devils, they are, you take them for this. But their ability to put Adversary on opposing models, helps relieve the pressure on your hand.

-

Other than that, it’s a great tactica – and the Ortegas are a fun crew to play, and really, really, really annoying to face.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Regelridderen said:

And I think, Pistoleros could get an honorable mention. 4 Stone and Reckless allows them to scheme like the little devils, they are, you take them for this. But their ability to put Adversary on opposing models, helps relieve the pressure on your hand.

the problem with pistolero is they they are way too fragile and reckless makes them even easier to kill!

most schemers will have to move fast and inside opponent zone to do their things so this will put them at risk and Pistoleros have nothing to mitigate the target on their head! Good opponents will know what to target to prevent you from scoring and most of the time the Pistoleros die in one action from a beater or 2 actions from any other models. 4ss is cheap it's true but they will most often die before doing anything usefull! (except if you are willing to throw 4ss agaisnt 1 beater AP, I'm personally not)

34 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

the problem with pistolero is they they are way too fragile and reckless makes them even easier to kill!

most schemers will have to move fast and inside opponent zone to do their things so this will put them at risk and Pistoleros have nothing to mitigate the target on their head! Good opponents will know what to target to prevent you from scoring and most of the time the Pistoleros die in one action from a beater or 2 actions from any other models. 4ss is cheap it's true but they will most often die before doing anything usefull! (except if you are willing to throw 4ss agaisnt 1 beater AP, I'm personally not)

Absolutely agree. This is a very optimistic view of the pistolero. I would discourage any player from running a scheme-based scoring Perdita, because this model gets taken down easily.

1 hour ago, Regelridderen said:

I find that Papa Loco doesn’t get near enough credit in this tactica, and I find him more central to the crew, than say Francisco.

Papa’s Throw Dynamite shockwaves are amazing. Most models will need to hit an 8 to avoid 3 damage. This either drains an opponent of cards or of models quickly, and an opponent unable to cheat or act is a lot more manageable. As long as you’ve got cards to chuck, I’d be feeding Papa via A por el and get those sticks flying through the air. As an opponent Papa is my first priority to take down.

In the case of Francisco, I’d say that he is cool and all, but I’m looking more to the Peacekeeper for its ability to draw attention and shrug off damage, while tearing through the opposition.

I also find, that you undervalue Abuela, with her Listen up, young’un and Nice shot, dear, I find that she is great for concentrating pressure.

-

Other than that, it’s a great tactica – and the Ortegas are a fun crew to play, and really, really, really annoying to face.

Thanks so much for your own personal feedback, Regelridden.

Papa Loco can be a very decent piece. I'm happy he gets even more love from you than he does for me, but I'm certainly not pessimistic about him. For me he's not an always-take. He can be a liability and his mileage may very, depending on how balled up your enemy is. I have used the A por El on him to good effect, exactly as you described, so I can back that up.

As for the Peacekeeper, I do not own that model. It's definitely an interesting choice and maybe something I can add to the tactica later. Thanks for the tip.

Abuela I think I've represented adequately. Both of the things you mention are nice, but Listen Up still costs an 8, which isn't cheap, when any card in your hand can be used to give someone an additional action. Of course, Listen Up has a lot more variability, which is reflected. As I mentioned, Nice Shot does require a different playstyle with postponed killing and doesn't always come up. I'm glad if you or anyone could get more mileage out of her than I can. 

Pistoleros do what they do, but I feel no need to get carried away by handing out honourable mentions to these guys. Several other masters in our faction have access to way better scheme runners for 4ss. Adversary is GREAT, but you can't guarantee it on any model (it's never built-in) and if you have a high Crow, I'd much rather use it on Santiago than a Pistolero with stat 4. Their Adversary is pretty much a 'when the stars align' ability.

• Adran featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic

@Calriel great initiative and very comprehensive. Well done!

A couple of things.

I don't see expert marksman mentioned for Nino. It's a massive boost for him. 

It gives him expert shot so he can shoot into melee without penalty and, thanks to his build in tome, it gives him built in armour piercing. 

Heroic intervention, it might be me reading your post wrong, but it seems like you think it can only be used if you target a model that is within 1" of one of yours. That's not the case, you can always use it. 

I'd also mention that turn one you can use Santiago to give perdita 2 focus with sober up and then have him move up turn two, he wants to hang back a bit anyway. 

I'd also argue that Lead lined coat on loco makes him a lot better. The armour is obvious, but I think he gains more from laugh off. Suddenly lures and many other movement shenanigans don't work on him, making his wp 3 less of an issue.

2 hours ago, Angelshard said:

you can use Santiago to give perdita 2 focus with sober up and then have him move up turn two, he wants to hang back a bit anyway. 

sober up will remove the first focused if you do it twice on the same models except if they have another condition to remove!

there's no ''may'' on sober up, so when you use it you have to remove a condition before giving focused +1 to the friendly model!

• Agree 1

I had a fun game last night against a Brewmaster. To counter the poison conditions I took Perdita with this list:

Perdita (+ Lead-lined coat)

Nephilim

Francisco (+ Lead-lined coat)

Santiago
Papa Loco

Nino

Abuela

Guild Steward

Strategy was Corrupted Idols and I choose Claim jump (on the Steward) and Take Prisoner (on Apprentice Wesley). The game ended 4-4 (I scored all the points for Schemes but not one for the Strategy) and I've been VEEEEERY unlucky with cards. A couple of examples: two different turns, Perdita had positive flips on damage, and both times I flipped two low cards and nothing to cheat with. Felt so bad. In my last turn, my control hand was 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4. And no, I'm not joking. Finally, I lost ALL initiatives for bad flips and impossible to cheat with the cards in my possession. The Idols were always away from my crew, impossible to chase them.

Following all of your tips, anyway, I think I improved a lot my gaming with Perdita and with better cards I would have probably won. Using Tomes to charge Perdita with Focus turned out to be a winning tip and she had at least 1 focus in each Turn (she had 3 in Turn 2, when the low-cards damage flip happened...)

In the end, Perdita charged with Focus still managed to kill everything she touched (2 whiskey gamin, Fingers Leong). Nino survived 'til the end providing Focus and Cards for Perdita at each turn. Abuela was kinda "meh", probably won't take her again.

Long story short: thanks a lot for your guide! I will try again Perdita with a Rider to have more mobility, which i could have used in this Strategy.

• Like 1