Perdita: a tactica

Calriel

12 minutes ago, Morgan Vening said:

One thing to add, if you've got a garbage Mask, and an 8 or 9 in your hand, and are willing to eat one damage, ENeph frantic flailing your own models to get an Obey isn't the worst thing. I mean, it's not great, but getting an extra Concentrate/Shot off might be worth the tradeoff. 

Besides to get Frank to the front, those two cards could be automatic actions with a por El.  Doesn't feel worth it to me.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Besides to get Frank to the front, those two cards could be automatic actions with a por El.  Doesn't feel worth it to me.

Well, it's only two cards a fraction less than half the time. Flipping an 8+ unsuited isn't a huge ask. The 8 or 9 from hand is a "just in case" so that you're not wasting the first action.

Honestly though, I'm not sold on even bothering with fielding the Nephilim. Frightening Reminder is a decent ability, but as someone else on the boards has mentioned in the past, just getting the extra Pass Token and more value out of Heroes Gamble, might be worth choosing not to hire him (for zero) in the first place.

On 1/15/2020 at 10:35 PM, Morgan Vening said:

Well, it's only two cards a fraction less than half the time. Flipping an 8+ unsuited isn't a huge ask. The 8 or 9 from hand is a "just in case" so that you're not wasting the first action.

Honestly though, I'm not sold on even bothering with fielding the Nephilim. Frightening Reminder is a decent ability, but as someone else on the boards has mentioned in the past, just getting the extra Pass Token and more value out of Heroes Gamble, might be worth choosing not to hire him (for zero) in the first place.

Yeah, that was me. I usually take the piece, but it was both funny and dispiriting to realize there are advantages to leaving your totem chained up in the yard at home.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Michael Curran said:

Incredible insight, it’s like a novella of Perdita goodness!  Still think her crew could use some considerable love.  Too many of your notations started off with:  the family is NOT GOOD AT........

While I agree that some models could do with a boost in the keyword they also need playing to their strengths and I definitely am against keywords being good at everything as they become the obvious choice within a faction.

What I like most about this edition is that keywords take up roles that suit certain strategies and encounters (as it should be).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, Cleezy said:

While I agree that some models could do with a boost in the keyword they also need playing to their strengths and I definitely am against keywords being good at everything as they become the obvious choice within a faction.

What I like most about this edition is that keywords take up roles that suit certain strategies and encounters (as it should be).

I agree with you that that is the should, but it doesn't feel like that is the case for any other faction.  Unless the nerfs coming are widespread, why should it just be for guild?

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

I agree with you that that is the should, but it doesn't feel like that is the case for any other faction.  Unless the nerfs coming are widespread, why should it just be for guild?

I could ream of a list of masters from other factions I play/have experienced that align to my statement. Maybe I will find more frustrations in the Guild as I play more but I really do not think they are in an overwhelmingly bad spot (said in the Facebook chat numerous times) and maybe having play experience from both sides helps keep my view less tilted (or even biased).

I will not say that some masters/keywords are problematic for being usable in a wider range of encounters, also familiarity can often help to making said keyword more effective.

2 minutes ago, Cleezy said:

I could ream of a list of masters from other factions I play/have experienced that align to my statement. Maybe I will find more frustrations in the Guild as I play more but I really do not think they are in an overwhelmingly bad spot (said in the Facebook chat numerous times) and maybe having play experience from both sides helps keep my view less tilted (or even biased).

I will not say that some masters/keywords are problematic for being usable in a wider range of encounters, also familiarity can often help to making said keyword more effective.

You are probably right that you have less of a biased opinion than my own.  But when I hear for months that the only problem with guild is that good players aren't playing guild, then the two masters level players that switched to guild for the non-masters second day went a total of 1-5, I can't help but feel a little vindicated.   What it is is consistent with all of the other tournament results that we see, that Guild players finish on average far below where all the other players playing end up.

I'm not sure what an overwhelmingly bad spot would be.  It isn't on the level of GW games where certain factions basically exist to be punching bags for the profitable ones.  

53 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

You are probably right that you have less of a biased opinion than my own.  But when I hear for months that the only problem with guild is that good players aren't playing guild, then the two masters level players that switched to guild for the non-masters second day went a total of 1-5, I can't help but feel a little vindicated.   What it is is consistent with all of the other tournament results that we see, that Guild players finish on average far below where all the other players playing end up.

I'm not sure what an overwhelmingly bad spot would be.  It isn't on the level of GW games where certain factions basically exist to be punching bags for the profitable ones.  

I was one of the two masters players (not sure who you are referring to as the other because Matt Lewin went on to the final of the masters so didn't play in the side event) and again as I put in the chat I had a selection of 11 models (borrowed from my brother who used them the day before) and I had a total of 1 Perdita game prior to that day, as always I was trying to be competitive (up until the last game when the encounter didn't suit whatsoever) and fell just short in my first two games.

In truth (and I am not making excuses) but I had barely slept the two previous nights and the 3 games the day before were pretty intense, Sunday was a wash out and my games were riddled with small mistakes that come with practice but two were still super close and playing a little tighter/knowing the crew better could easily have been in favour.

My brother on the other hand is 5-1 with Perdita competitively, only missing out on a podium because the 3-0 event had 42 players and the loss came from a lack of clear terrain discussion before the game.

Getting back on topic however...

A few nice things I noticed with the family:
Hard to Kill - Ditching a card to make an action with another family member is a great way of getting rid of HtK models, in this instance it also worked a treat in killing my Vendetta target. Francisco activated and put my opponents emissary to its HtK, Franc ended his activation allowing me to reveal Vendetta then I ditched the card for Nino to send in a cheeky finishing shot afterwards.
Stacking focus - the ease of this is just crazy, at one point I had 3 on Perdita and 4 on Franc. Perdita's activation saw her one shot an undergraduate and put two more shots into Valedictorian then brought Franc in who got two focus swings on Vale too, the resources it burned from my opponent was brutal and in Francs actual activation he killed the Vale. I used some resources myself but not much due to the focus, mostly stones for suits.
Durability - the family is very fragile so I avoid having too many of them, the key models will get themselves a lovely LLC and the lawyer is making it into my list for the shielded, those combined do give a level of protection that is definitely needed (nice on SS users as you can comfortably mitigate most moderate dmg tracks)

As I get more games with them I will post more findings :)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cleezy said:

I know you were one. Steve johnston was the other.  I know he has a bad bj flip with rider.

Honestly I agree with a lot of what you are saying about perditas strengths.  I think I said this in the fb chat but I believe get to be one of the masters that you will need to get your reps in with.

I reread my earlier comments, and they definitely sound harsher than I meant to.  My apologies.

14 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

I know you were one. Steve johnston was the other.  I know he has a bad bj flip with rider.

Honestly I agree with a lot of what you are saying about perditas strengths.  I think I said this in the fb chat but I believe get to be one of the masters that you will need to get your reps in with.

I reread my earlier comments, and they definitely sound harsher than I meant to.  My apologies.

No need to apologise bud, its all good and ultimately we are all working towards the same goal.

Totally agree regarding the repetitions with her, getting those in gives that insight into the subtle nuances that make Dita top notch :) it definitely didn't help that prior to the side event I had played one game with Perdita and that was against Alyx, so it was no easy game.

Game 1 and 2 I were pretty happy with and with a few decisions different, a slice of luck and me being on my game they were wins.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 12:08 PM, Calriel said:

You, on the other hand, will most likely get at least two or three Activations out of Nino before they’ve killed him, and if he’s essential to your crew (in the aforementioned Vendetta example), make sure folks like Santiago or Francisco can pull him out of combat in time, or you will have a friendly Orderly/Steward to heal him up. If nothing else, he will at least steer some enemy heavy lifters his way. This leaves the rest of your crew to do work in another part of the board without being troubled by a serious beater/Henchman. I once managed to pull both Nekima and Hayreddin off course while I decimated the rest of the opponent’s crew.

You're telling me it took Nekima anything more than 2 AP and a bonus action to kill a df 5 7 wound model that hands out cards and focus to your crew, and definitively ended his turn within 14 inches of her own deployment? That sounds... like a terror tot of a Nekima player. 

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

So I feel family has gained a lot in GG1. Monster hunters seems great for lodestone. Deadly pursuit means they can't just be pushed away from objectives. Hidden martyr mitigates their squishiness. Catch and release is also interesting, as you can deadly pursuit into a henchman and then start the next turn by creeping away and running like hell. 

I could also see them as take prisoner users, throwing Fransisco into combat. 

Loco makes research mission possible. 

The extra card draw from enslaved isn't a huge boost, but an extra card per turn isn't something to sneeze at and makes the crew less dependent on OOK models to give cards. 

I still don't see a role for pistoleros, but hopefully they'll get some love next time. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 6:36 AM, Angelshard said:

So I feel family has gained a lot in GG1. Monster hunters seems great for lodestone. Deadly pursuit means they can't just be pushed away from objectives. Hidden martyr mitigates their squishiness. Catch and release is also interesting, as you can deadly pursuit into a henchman and then start the next turn by creeping away and running like hell. 

The extra card draw from enslaved isn't a huge boost, but an extra card per turn isn't something to sneeze at and makes the crew less dependent on OOK models to give cards. 

I still don't see a role for pistoleros, but hopefully they'll get some love next time. 

For research mission, I see how we can get blown apart markers, drop scheme markers, but other than strat markers where are we getting the third type from?

54 minutes ago, Irritated Walrus said:

For research mission, I see how we can get blown apart markers, drop scheme markers, but other than strat markers where are we getting the third type from?

I'd guess corpse markers is always an option. a last minute bullet to the back of a pistolero is always an option...

On 3/11/2020 at 6:36 AM, Angelshard said:

I like Hoffman for Research Mission. Blown apart markers, corpse, scrap, and scheme. 

@Irritated Walrus Hoffman is better than family at research mission, as he can generate all three markers himself. But three out of four strats has a marker and both scrap and corpse markers will usually drop. You only need a single marker for loco to do the rest. I think this scheme ud better for family than a lot of GG0 schemes were

17 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

@Irritated Walrus Hoffman is better than family at research mission, as he can generate all three markers himself. But three out of four strats has a marker and both scrap and corpse markers will usually drop. You only need a single marker for loco to do the rest. I think this scheme ud better for family than a lot of GG0 schemes were

Again I see how Loco get the Blown Apart and Scheme markers, but without killing him or someone else (preferably your opponent) I'm not seeing a third marker. 

10 hours ago, Irritated Walrus said:

Yeah, but you’ve got to be in the center of the board or deep in their half for that. 

no pain! no gain! 😉 Seriously I don't think this is that hard to pull off with the strat markers of corrupted ley lines! I'm not sure I would try it on the other 2 strats with strat markers tho! you could have to run a lot with Papa to finally have a decent chance of scoring it and opponent have better chances of countering you! SO on corrupted ley lines this is an easy/normal schemes but apart form that since we can't reliably drop the other markers this is way trickier as you said!