2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Caedrus

9 minutes ago, Julle Lahtinen said:

Did you paint it seperated from the steed or all together?

Still painting:PBeen stuck on the wings for a while now. On the plus side I've already painted 19 minis this month. Quick 'n dirty boardgame minis, but still:)

It's all glued together. In retrospect I should've done the rider separate. Would have made painting some areas a bit easier. If you're particularly hardcore I think you could even do the wings separate. Pretty clean model for subassembly painting I think.

This isn't something that many of you will have to worry about but if you have contrast paints don't let them get too cold. I was super happy my results with them when compared with the speed  and quality that I usually paint, but I walked to work with them in my backpack at -35C (-31F) for about 15 min per time. That's about one hour outside at those temps over two days. The flow of the paint has changed, the coverage is more streaky, and less shade/highlight contrast. This was painted after the paints have been room temp for six or so hours and the only change would be my time outside. All areas are one coat except for the purple which took two. When I first noticed I shook them all for about 2 minutes each to see if that made a difference, but I'm wondering if the low temperature caused a physical change in the paint chemistry. I don't have high standards, but this isn't going to cut it for me.

pkWl4Fb.jpg

0nhHv7F.jpg

The Iyanden Yellow doesn't seem too bad, the Magos Purple is about the same as it was, The Blood Angel's Red and Snakebite Leather seem to be write-offs, and I hadn't even cracked the Gulliman Flesh so I can't compare before/after but it is pretty bad. I'll let them heat up for a couple of days and shake them often, then I'll give an update.

Stay warm out there

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Have you any frozen non-Contrast to compare? I believe acrylics in general really don't like being frozen.

I've been bringing my acrylic paints to work for year, but honestly I don't for sure if I have had them in my back pack below -30 before; -20 to -25 would have commonly happened over time. My acrylics are mostly old, some from the 1990s that still work fine when thinned out. I may have just had models to trim/build in there at those temperatures instead. I just checked with some acrylics that made the trip as well: Wraithbone base is fine (purchased in January), Abaddon Black is fine (more than a year old), Ceramite White is completely separated (purchased in December). I have had a lot of whites do the same thing in the past, but not many other colours; I presumed it was that one paint that was poorly made, or happened to dry out, but now the cold connection makes a lot more sense.

5 hours ago, Antinea said:

Emulsions are not stable when exposed to cold, especially freezing temperatures.
If that happens you will get a separation between the binder and the water (not the standard sedimentation). And when that happens, it's definitive, nothing can put back the paint as an emulsion.

So what you're saying is science doesn't like Canadian Painters...

On 1/13/2020 at 5:42 AM, Antinea said:

Here is my contribution for this month: M2E Student of conflict for 4 SS.

Face is completely and utterly botched beyond redemption, but I can't stand starting all over again from base coat.

Looks great to me! No need to be too tough on yourself, and I certainly think you made the right decision re: not going backwards. :)

Caedrus, reporting in!

Hi All, I've been juggling lots of things this month, and trying to sneak in some painting as well. I'll get a WIP up very soon, but in the meantime, I have started the Sheets for the 2020 Challenge. The document is HERE. I encourage you to have a quick look, and let me know if there's any issues or problems. @lusciousmccabe, @PetitDalek, @Polar43, and @TeaCrusader, I'm not sure if I have your actual pledge level. You've been defaulted to Minion, but happy to change it. Let me know.

@Monkeyfist: Your update is only showing text to me, rather than a link. It might be just me.

@Franchute: While I'm saddened that you won't be taking part, please do drop in, critique, and show us what you've been up to! For those newer to the Challenge, Franchute ran the Challenge for a few years, and is an excellent painter.

Caedrus.

• Like 2

I re-painted Emeline Bellerose; I intend to use her for a Through The Breach character. I'm more happy with the Purple dress than my frozen red streaky one. I had my paints in front of a space heater and shook them every couple of hours. The red was the only one that still doesn't work, but I liked it enough I bought a new one. The grey and purple are now two coat paints, but otherwise all the paints work like they used to. (10ss)

jkCMFna.jpg

DsV3fg1.jpg

• Like 4