side-eyeing the Bayou

farmoar

Hello Green-folk.

I recently listened to the Third Floor Wars breakdown of the Kin keyword. Absolutely love the fluff behind them, and it is a nice bonus that Ophelia is routinely seen with her full crew box. I was wondering if there was a good second crew/keyword that could cover her weaknesses? I have heard talk of the Mah Focus-bomb, and shooting half a squad off the table in the first turn with Rooster Riders (which reminds me of Warmachine, in a good way).

Just looking for wisdom, passed down from the elders here. Thank ye!

:ToS-Fast:"Welcome to the Bayou"

I had heard that episode as well, and they had done a good job on summarizing the keyword. Ophelia and her Kins are a elite offense crew. All members can put out significant damage, or help others to do so. So as you may imagine, they really shine in a killy SS pool(Reckoning, Turf War, Assassination and etc).

Hence, when you are considering a second crew, you would like a crew to handle to other non-killy SS. The faction has some great keyword focus on scheming, like Zipp/Infamous and Zoraida/Swampfiend. Somer/Big Hat can do too but you may struggle a lot when learning him.

I for one started with Kin and Infamous. Zipp and his crew are highly mobile and can easily remove opponent's scheme marker. They are good at the Strategies like Corrupted Idols and Plant Explosives when you do not want to bring Kin into.

13 hours ago, Rufess said:

:ToS-Fast:"Welcome to the Bayou"

I had heard that episode as well, and they had done a good job on summarizing the keyword. Ophelia and her Kins are a elite offense crew. All members can put out significant damage, or help others to do so. So as you may imagine, they really shine in a killy SS pool(Reckoning, Turf War, Assassination and etc).

Hence, when you are considering a second crew, you would like a crew to handle to other non-killy SS. The faction has some great keyword focus on scheming, like Zipp/Infamous and Zoraida/Swampfiend. Somer/Big Hat can do too but you may struggle a lot when learning him.

I for one started with Kin and Infamous. Zipp and his crew are highly mobile and can easily remove opponent's scheme marker. They are good at the Strategies like Corrupted Idols and Plant Explosives when you do not want to bring Kin into.

So do Kin and Tricksy play too similar of a game?

On 12/31/2019 at 5:31 PM, farmoar said:

So do Kin and Tricksy play too similar of a game?

I wouldn't say that.

I feel like that Tricksy is more about moving stuff into (un)favourable positions while kin is about raw damage potential while being deceptively sturdy thanks to "flinch" and "the bigger they are"

dont get me wrong, rooster riders are hella strong. but Little Lass, Trixibelle and Mah herself are really good at pushing stuff around. Many players also swear on Big Brain Brin for doing stuff. I have yet to try him though. Also I have not yet tried out the "robot" part of tricksy (survivors, Sparks, soulstone miner)

I find that both Tricksy and Kin can put out a lot of damage and what usually plays the biggest factor to pick one over the other is the amount of terrain on the board and how it is set up. Mah has more movement tricks both for her own models and to put enemies in less favourable spots - also her traps work best when there are clear lanes that models will be moving through. If there is a lot of open space Kin will usually out damage Tricksy. 

You can make up for some of the lack of movement tricks in Kin by taking Gluttony when playing Idols or Turf War as he can push your models to the objectives plus Kin make a lot of corpses to push your opponent into. I honestly think he is one of the most important models to pick up withKin after their box set 

On 1/7/2020 at 12:07 PM, OracleToronto said:

I find that both Tricksy and Kin can put out a lot of damage and what usually plays the biggest factor to pick one over the other is the amount of terrain on the board and how it is set up. Mah has more movement tricks both for her own models and to put enemies in less favourable spots - also her traps work best when there are clear lanes that models will be moving through. If there is a lot of open space Kin will usually out damage Tricksy. 

You can make up for some of the lack of movement tricks in Kin by taking Gluttony when playing Idols or Turf War as he can push your models to the objectives plus Kin make a lot of corpses to push your opponent into. I honestly think he is one of the most important models to pick up withKin after their box set 

What are your typical lists for each looking like? Kin seems to want to stay in keyword, while Tricksy looks like there is some room after the 3 Rooster Riders.

my typical lists look like this (adjusting 1 or 2 models as needed depending on strats, schemes, and who I'm facing) 

Kin:

Ophelia 

Young LaCroix x3

Francois 

Merris

Rami

Raphael

Gautreaux Bokor

Gluttony

7 stones remaining

Tricksy

Mah

Little Lass

Big Brain Brin

Soulstone Miner x2 

Rooster Rider x2 both with Inferiority Complex

Bushwacker x2

0 stones remaining

again - these are just my default starting point .... the lists then get tailored based on the terrain on the board, the strats and schemes, and who my opponent is bringing. 

On 1/9/2020 at 5:57 PM, OracleToronto said:

my typical lists look like this (adjusting 1 or 2 models as needed depending on strats, schemes, and who I'm facing) 

Kin:

Ophelia 

Young LaCroix x3

Francois 

Merris

Rami

Raphael

Gautreaux Bokor

Gluttony

7 stones remaining

Tricksy

Mah

Little Lass

Big Brain Brin

Soulstone Miner x2 

Rooster Rider x2 both with Inferiority Complex

Bushwacker x2

0 stones remaining

again - these are just my default starting point .... the lists then get tailored based on the terrain on the board, the strats and schemes, and who my opponent is bringing. 

good to hear I was on the right track. I was thinking of something similar:

Ophelia LaCroix
3 Young LaCroix
Francois - 9
Rami - 6
Raphael - 8
LaCroix Raider - 5

And then fill in the rest of the list as dictated by the S&S/table, with upgrades, Gautrauex Bokor, Lucky Effigy w Upgrade, Sammy, Merris and additional Raiders

Mah
Little Lass
Big Brain Brin

and then some combination of Rooster Riders, Soulstone Miners and Bushwhackers, plus upgrades. 

Does Trixie ever make the cut? Any other potential models for the Kin? Thanks.

21 hours ago, wizuriel said:

Tricksy could probably cover most strats / schemes alone 😛

Kin are pretty flexible also, very killy and Ophelia is a great counter to nearly everything that wants to try and live (though terrifying can be annoying for her)

Thank you. I was hoping to hear that. Are there any non-keyword models that either of them would routinely tech in? Trying to plan my buy-list lol

I tend to pretty routinely include bokor's in a lot of my bayou lists.

Beyond that I don't think you need anything not covered in theme. On that note though Bayou has some really good OOK models that you can just throw into any list (Bokors, Whiskey Golem, first mate, Brin would be the big 4 that come to mind, after that probably going be more varied)

20 hours ago, wizuriel said:

I tend to pretty routinely include bokor's in a lot of my bayou lists.

I knew I was forgetting someone.

I may add in Wong and the Wizz-Bang crew as a third choice. Loving the flavour of them more than most of the other non-Kin and Tricksy (Ulix is a close 4th place).