Brewmaster

Chris Rivers

My normal opponent is playing Brewmaster a lot now.  What kind of tools do we have as a faction to deal with his shenanigans?  I know we have condition removal in the form of Pandora , Serena, Anything with Eldritch Magic.  Any tips people have?  After playing the last game, I did figure out I should not bunch up much, helps limit his auras and pulses.

One thing to note about Pandora is she is fantastic for removing conditions from enemies, but she is not that much better than other crews at removing conditions from allies. Against a poison heavy crew, I don't think she is necessarily great.

One crew to draw your attention to is Titania. Bultungin can end conditions on another target for an action. Rougarou can end conditions on itself with a bonus action, which discourages people stacking poison on it. Aeslin is immune to distracted, which is helpful. The concealing also helps against some of the enemy attacks.

Bad Juju can also remove conditions on targets, but is too expensive to be efficient IMO. Grootslang is also immune to distracted. So Zoraida might be okay, but I'm sceptical as she also throws out lots of poison on enemies and will buff them?

I've not played against Brewmaster, but that's some preliminary thoughts!

5 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

One thing to note about Pandora is she is fantastic for removing conditions from enemies, but she is not that much better than other crews at removing conditions from allies. Against a poison heavy crew, I don't think she is necessarily great.

I've had good luck with her vs McMourning since his crew is usually the one getting said poison, and ripping it off is not that difficult.  First thing that comes to mind for offensive poison would be pandora and a changling both with eldritch magic.

These are more ore less the faction options to deal with Poison; Serena is a safe option, short range but with with a swift action trigger and being a bonus action; plus healing and good ofensive. Pandora with Eldritch Magic is very expensive but the best condition removal you can think off. Dolls are cheap, have creep along to position and stealth. Iggy isn't a bad option for this, with reckless he has 3 actions and can be used later for denial. The effigy is like a takier and slower doll with accomplice; that may be useful to dispel the condition and activate the target before the condition can be applied again (to avoid the slow aura/the negative to duel). Bultungins have also condition removal, but they are a risky model to field; so that's up to you. The scorpius is a good countertech; but Catalyst affect all models so this one can also backfire hard depending on positioning (alcohol poisoning will increase that to 2).

But as always this is pool dependent; if you go overkill here, you could end with not enough tools to do the mision / handle their models. There are other things to worry like the mobility of the crew or the possibility to face a lot of armored models (and drunken kung fu)

On 12/28/2019 at 6:39 PM, santaclaws01 said:

A lot of Tri-chi models want poison on themselves as well, which makes Pandora's unresisted condition removal super useful. Also makes her pretty safe from quite a few models that want to be stacking poison on themselves to do their things when Pandora will just remove it if they target her.

This is a big part of facing off against Brewie, McMourning, Kaeris, etc. They want the condition on their models, and it's almost better to go on the offensive and strip what they need off than it is to constantly fend off all the conditions they'll apply to your models. I enjoy using Lures and lots of repositioning tricks to isolate and strip key models and murder them early on. It can really catch your opponent off guard when you do.

Pandora is excellent for this, and I also like Iggy with Eldritch Magic because Reckless gives him that extra activation to remove a key condition when you need it.

I tended to use Pandora's Shockwave actions instead.  All those simple duels either damages a bunch of them or cleans out their hand.  Bonus if you can have the Poltergeist in range.  The damn Moon Shinobi scare me a little since they turn the manipulative defense into a detriment.  Hard to wound is the same way.  Although Self Loathing might be good against them, you can damage, stagger and if the planets align stun them or push them.

32 minutes ago, Chris Rivers said:

I tended to use Pandora's Shockwave actions instead.  All those simple duels either damages a bunch of them or cleans out their hand.  Bonus if you can have the Poltergeist in range.  The damn Moon Shinobi scare me a little since they turn the manipulative defense into a detriment.  Hard to wound is the same way.  Although Self Loathing might be good against them, you can damage, stagger and if the planets align stun them or push them.

Hmmm... She still has two actions left after the shock waves. Is that usually movement and the Despairs Influence?

I usually set her up as a gun turret, getting her into position somewhere and then just smashing anything that gets in her 20" bubble.

Edit: note I'm quite new to her. Maybe 5 games so far, none at 50 stones.

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Hmmm... She still has two actions left after the shock waves. Is that usually movement and the Despairs Influence?

I usually set her up as a gun turret, getting her into position somewhere and then just smashing anything that gets in her 20" bubble.

Edit: note I'm quite new to her. Maybe 5 games so far, none at 50 stones.

Despair's influence to hand out a suit (probably giving herself masks for the rest of the turn or giving crows to Kade or Carver).  Also, I was including the pulse of WP duels that her bonus action causes.  There are some actions to use self loathing on, the Moonshinobi is one.  I even used it on Brewmaster since he was in the Poltergeists aura.

• Like 1