Movement Tricks

Squirrelich

Ok Guild Community, I need a brain storm. What are our best movement options? If we're in corner deploy with a mountain of obnoxious terrain on the board, how do we get across it?
Things I found so far:
Leap
Lady Justice

Fly
Trained Raptor
Watcher

Incorporeal
Purifying Flame

Other just pop up abilities
Undercover Reporter

I was playing Molly in a scenario like this in a recent casual tourney and she had Night Terrors flying over, Corrligans by your siding, Bone Pile popping up, Archie leaping. I just had to hoof it across and felt like I was at a disadvantage cause the terrain was making me zig zag or take the long way around with my pushes (which I have found plenty of). Looking for ideas the next time I need to deal with this. Thank you

48 minutes ago, Squirrelich said:

Ok Guild Community, I need a brain storm. What are our best movement options? If we're in corner deploy with a mountain of obnoxious terrain on the board, how do we get across it?
Things I found so far:
Leap
Lady Justice

Fly
Trained Raptor
Watcher

Incorporeal
Purifying Flame

Other just pop up abilities
Undercover Reporter

I was playing Molly in a scenario like this in a recent casual tourney and she had Night Terrors flying over, Corrligans by your siding, Bone Pile popping up, Archie leaping. I just had to hoof it across and felt like I was at a disadvantage cause the terrain was making me zig zag or take the long way around with my pushes (which I have found plenty of). Looking for ideas the next time I need to deal with this. Thank you

Dmr and queeg both have some aura based pushes, family has pushes built into their concentrate, Pathfinder and frontiersmen have by your side.  Basse can push 3 on a trigger.  Nellie can push models towards scheme markers

One of the best imo is on basse.  If the board has any big terrain areas the quicksand attack can really move a model far.

Undercover reporter and field reporters eat markers to move 6, and undercover, Hunter and Santiago have deadly pursuit.

Guardian for toss isn't a bad option either.

But no, we will never match the tricks ressers have for movement.

Also our place and mass-push choices open up once engaged with I’ve Got Your Back and Heroic Intervention—again not useful for the initial movement you requested, but nearly as good as leap once we’re in the midst of melee. While Take the Hit should technically qualify also, I’ve had much less success using it for repositioning even though I have more reps with that than I’ve Got Your Back, probably due to the relative ranges of each.

• Like 1

Yeah I was playing Dashel at the time so I had pushes from Queeg/horses/consolidate power (dispatcher/seargant) and high Mv value from horses/dogs and a Mv increase from seargant and a bit of Fast from Queeg, but the board was still a bit much without places or other terrain ignore abilties. Thanks for reminding me about Frontier, I've been ignoring them as aesthetically it is not a keyword I''m interested in, but you're right in that it might have to be the answer. I'm going to step through their cards and see what I can find as the brief glance I've given of them awhile back it does seem like that is one of their shticks.

As a Molly player, I can tell you outmaneuvering her is nigh impossible if she goes heavy on the movement tricks. At least for many crews.

Your advantage is going to lie in your ranged attacks, of course. On claim jump, for example, if you move into a position to be able to shoot the centre, Molly's dudes will have to move way past the centreline to attack you, or just get shot apart.

Don't try to figure out how to move as far as they do. Figure out how to make them have to move up 2/3 of the board while you move up 1/3 of it. Then they have to move twice as far as you!

Also note that not their whole crew can move at top speed. If you get them to throw Archie at you before the rest of the crew arrives, you can mow him down without being counterattacked.

I’d second a lot of these. The Field Reporter scheme marker move is pretty great. Nellie can also move something towards a scheme marker as her free action. You can build up a fair amount of round one efficiency if you’re willing to bubble a bit at first.

Lucius has entourage and obeys. Guild Lawyers have obeys.

The Jury has obeys ... though I think they’re mostly a trap for positioning.

Augmented can self-target for a 2” push with their free action.

Phiona Gage has that 2+ mask trigger on I’ve Got Your Back.

Pale Rider and Mounted Guard have ride with me.

Pale Rider in later rounds can cause charges by all your units across a 14” bubble as a revel trigger.

Family models can all push on a concentrate, and a few have Deadly Pursuit (along with Undercover Reporter, some of the Guard models, and Augmented Hunters, I believe).

The other fundamental Guild reality is that you can outrange most opponents. So part of why we don’t have broad movement tricks is that the opponent is supposed to have to move towards us while we stand and deliver or run-and-gun with some flankers.

Guild investigators can provide some nice pushes. It will usually require one model to sacrifice an action in order to lay down a scheme marker, but it allows you to move a more important model and do some tricks to get out of engagement and auras. It can also be worth to note that two Investigators can both use Stand back... on one dropped marker as long as they target different models. And then you are turning one action into two pushes. And with False Witnesses one action can become four pushes. And some card draw.

On 12/15/2019 at 3:07 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

As a Molly player, I can tell you outmaneuvering her is nigh impossible if she goes heavy on the movement tricks. At least for many crews.

Your advantage is going to lie in your ranged attacks, of course. On claim jump, for example, if you move into a position to be able to shoot the centre, Molly's dudes will have to move way past the centreline to attack you, or just get shot apart.

Don't try to figure out how to move as far as they do. Figure out how to make them have to move up 2/3 of the board while you move up 1/3 of it. Then they have to move twice as far as you!

Also note that not their whole crew can move at top speed. If you get them to throw Archie at you before the rest of the crew arrives, you can mow him down without being counterattacked.

Against Molly if you move to the middle Archie will leap in and kill that model 99 times out of 100.  I don't know that I would take claim jump into her just because of that.

23 hours ago, Mortarion said:

Guild investigators can provide some nice pushes. It will usually require one model to sacrifice an action in order to lay down a scheme marker, but it allows you to move a more important model and do some tricks to get out of engagement and auras. It can also be worth to note that two Investigators can both use Stand back... on one dropped marker as long as they target different models. And then you are turning one action into two pushes. And with False Witnesses one action can become four pushes. And some card draw.

I've never thought it through, but why do they have to target a different target model?

8 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I've never thought it through, but why do they have to target a different target model?

Looking at it again, I realise that they can actually both target the same model.

Stand Back... is an Aura when checking for dropped markers, but it is not an Aura when moving models. So the rules for multiple Auras with the same name would not apply. I previously thought it was an Aura when moving models as well.

1 hour ago, Mortarion said:

Looking at it again, I realise that they can actually both target the same model.

Stand Back... is an Aura when checking for dropped markers, but it is not an Aura when moving models. So the rules for multiple Auras with the same name would not apply. I previously thought it was an Aura when moving models as well.

No good is going to come from trying to make that distinction.

Because you are, after all, arguing that it stops being an aura half way through a single sentence.

15 minutes ago, solkan said:

No good is going to come from trying to make that distinction.

Because you are, after all, arguing that it stops being an aura half way through a single sentence.

I previously saw it as simply being an Aura. But looking more closely at it, is seems to have two different parts. When checking for markes which activates the ability it says "...is Dropped within :aura4". Clearly an Aura. You need line of sight to the Marker and other rules about Auras apply. However, the part about movement is worded differently. It says "...this model may Push a model within 3" of the Marker up to 3" away from it". It does not say "Push a model within :aura3". In all other instances, there is a clear difference between "...within X"..." and "...within :auraX"...". And I don't really see why this should not apply here as well. So I would say that the movement part is not an Aura, which means there is no need for line of sight and other Aura rules do not apply.

But I'm open to arguments why it should be considered an Aura despite not having the :auraicon. I may have misunderstood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1