Tale of my woes.

Regelridderen

Just started a league.

Fixed and single masters, dead mans hand allowed. And I chose to explore Pandora

Game 1 - Pandora vs Lucius (Guild)

Flanked Deployment - Reckoning,  Harness the Ley line, Assassinate, Take Prisoner, Dig their graves, Claim Jump.

Pre-battle thoughts :

I worried mostly for facing the combined ranged Ruthless-ness of Agent 46 and the Pale Rider, who’d negate my Terrifying and Manipulation complete. Combine this with the board being fairly open, with a couple of chokepoint bridges over a raging river. So I wanted speed and hard hitting models.

For schemes I wavered between Take Prisoner, Assassinate and Dig their Graves, as I wouldn’t want to ‘waste’ actions on interact. I ended up choosing the latter two, thinking that Lucius is such a dominant piece, that I needed to put the pressure on him anyway.

THE BATTLE

My Crew ( Assassinate, Claim Jump ) :

Pandore, Poltergeist, Candy (Claim Jump), Baby Kade, Carver, Hooded Rider, Serena Bowman, 6 Stones.

Lucius Crew ( Harness the Ley Line, Dig their Graves ) :

Lucius, The Scribe, Agent 46, Doppleganger, Guild Lawyer, Executioner, False Witness, Guild Rifleman, 4 Stones.

T1

Looking across a raging river, and seeing all that firepower was demoralizing, I advanced my crew under cover of a big central rock, while he sent off his False Witness and the Doppleganger towards the same corner, while the brunt of his crew took aim and focused. My rider went opposite towards another bridge, focused and kept himself at bay.

T2

The Hooded Rider had glimpsed too much insanity hanging with Dora and started out charging across the bridge into the main huddle. Sadly he was only able to strike once, and struck poorly, when he tried to decapitate the rifleman and splashed some damage into Lucius. Lucius quickly retaliated by ordering his executioner to tear the rider apart.

On the other corner, the False Witness and Doppleganger started scheming wildly, making it abundantly clear, that here were a Ley Line, and they were trying to harness it - my Poltergeist giggled and took up position. My forces advanced steadily, but they were squeezing through a bottleneck and constantly got in each others way. But Candy ended up taking position on the centerpoint to score Claim Jump.

Scoring 1 - 1

T3

Now things were starting to heat up, Agent 46 looked menacing towards my troops, and he and the rifleman took a few shots, that luckily weren’t that effectfull. The Witness and Doppleganger continued their grab for Harness, and learned just how much Telekinesis sucks. In a sour fit, the Doppleganger whistled cheekily dragging Serena into the muddy river. The Carver and Pandora tried to get to 46 but he just Stones away their damage and chucked cards for the Execute trigger, but expose themselves. And Block the way for the rest of the Crew. Candy and Serena were luckily able to fix my wounds through rigorous amounts of Goodies and Painkillers, when Serena got in a scrap with the murderous Doppleganger.

Scoring 1 - 1

T4

Seeing that Agent 46 was too close for comfort, I brought the Poltergeist into the fray to deny him Ruthless, this gave the False Witness room to score Ley Lines. In return he took a couple of shots from the rifleman, but managed to survive. Finally Baby Kade were in position with a murderous hand, but it took two attempts to Lure in Agent 46, and when he got their he just wasn’t up to be executed. The disappointed Kade quickly called for Pandora to intervene and get in the way - now that she could bring her terrifying to bear. The scribe, then dragged the wounded Agent to safety, but not for long when the Carver chased him down, and sheared him to size. Meanwhile the executioner got whittled down to 2 wounds and started to retreat, while the Doppleganger only survived due to her being worth points in T5. 

Scoring 2 - 2

T5

Started with Serena focus-slapping the Doppleganger for full 6 points of damage, while the False Witness spread her lies. The poltergeist then hit Lucius, the Lawyer and the Rifleman with Telekinesis, managing to kill the Rifleman and getting killed in return. Lucius fought bravely by calling upon his hidden snipers, but there really wasn’t anything he could do, as I had plenty of stones to play with.

Pandora gave Carver a Crow suit, and ensured that he could burn the False Witness along with a throng of scheme markers, denying the Ley Line, while Candy retreated to her Claim Jump skipping happily along.

Scoring 4 - 2

It was a great game. My MVP would be Carver and the Poltergeist for their ability to deal with clustered scheme markers. It was sad, that the Rider got sacrificed so fast. But I think it did a good job of rattling up my opponent - but a smart player would have made sure to keep it alive for hunting Lucius. My opponent could have been a little more aggressive - of course, he had the luxury of staying at range, biding his time. But I was fearing Agent 46/Doppleganger grabbing a clockwork rifle, hammering away at my troops under orders from Lucius and a Lawyer, and I never really felt that onslaught.

But it was a great and fun game, challenging for the both of us.

-

Next up will be a matchup with Perdita under the same conditions. So any ideas on how to approach her would be appreciated.

• Like 3

Sounds like a good game :). Solid play and crew, but I'd had been a bit more cautious with the rider; the executioner counters him so well if you charge ahead early (stat 7 min 3 no Rs trigger ☠️); but it seems it paid off in the end. I'm a bit surprised the Poltergeist lasted until the end of the game, with the anti-ruthless and the Telekinesis he should had been sniped much earlier, specially with a Rifleman and the mimics. 

I'd recommend to the Lucius player to drop something and pick 1 or 2 Changelings, specially going with the Agent and Minions as beaters; that would give his crew more punch and Lucius the ability to obey the same model 2-3 times if needed (he can do it with the lawyer, but it's more expensive tho)

About perdita and cia:

@Ogid I worked hard to keep the Polter out of harms way, when I saw the Witness and had to do a lot of cheating to keep him alive when he got into the fray - Thank god for Incorporeal vs min2 damage. And charging in the rider T2 was too early. Had I moved him in closer T1, so he at least would have had two attacks, he could have killed the Rifleman and blasted at least 6 wounds on Lucius, forcing the rest of his crew to go meet me - and allowed the Polter to roam free. But I was too cautious T1 and then too impatient T2 ;)

-

Just remembered I took a couple of photos around T2 - after the Hooded dies.

F29BA63B-105B-41E5-8F12-B2EFF648CA78.jpeg

A131A645-EA80-4567-98A8-4938F70C0E76.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Looks like you need more LOS blocking terrain. Almost a third (32%, 80% of 40%) of the board should be covered in terrain that blocks LOS at least.

The problem is more, that the board has two bridges/chokepoints, that it’s hard to get around - unless you fly or are incorporeal. But its my first attempt at a board, I’d go about it a lot differently next time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Regelridderen said:

The problem is more, that the board has two bridges/chokepoints, that it’s hard to get around - unless you fly or are incorporeal. But its my first attempt at a board, I’d go about it a lot differently next time.

Cool board!

An idea: You could do some bigger pieces of scenography (some scattered ruins or a hill for example) to cover some of the holes to modify that one without having to make another from scrap.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 8:02 AM, Angelshard said:

I'd have a plan for pale rider when facing Perdita. 

Also be aware that perdita can oneshot a lot of woes with a ram (cheated or stones) and a severe. 

Poltergeist probably won't live long if it gets close to her. 

I was thinking to try like this :

Pandora ( +5 stones )

Poltergeist – the poor Poltergeist will need to stay back and concern itself with (anti-)scheming, until opportunities reveal themselves.

Candy – I'm not comfortable vs. a shooting crew, but let's see if she can't teleport in via Glimpse

Carver ( Inhuman Reflexes ) – he is just a great 50 mm Sz3 shield. Has plenty of opportunities to heal back, and is just a murderous scarecrow. I give him IH to help him close the gap. 

Serena – a second source of healing is always nice. And she can benefit from the speed of Coppelius

Baby Kade – I'm such a sucker for the murder baby.

Coppelius – can give a friendly 4" push. His Unhinge can benefit (from) Carver and Serena. His EYE!-trigger can be used to trigger Baby Kade's Pounce, and he has a little anti-scheming tech built in. 

I was considering throwing in another IH, to get a little more speed to the crew, as my Pandora will rarely burn much more of her cache anyway. Then again, I want stones for Candy to teleport into the enemy midst.

Against Perdita, Candy's Glimpse teleport can really screw them over, especially if they're bunching up at all. Don't be afraid to be aggressive with Pandora too, as her Terrifying helps quite a bit, and having her eat all the Focus off the Family models is a huge help. Serena Bowman is a great model for that matchup, and Hooded Rider is a threat they have to worry about all game. I also like Doppleganger against them because of the bonus action that gives Concealment, and I love copying Serena's Twist Reality, using the Tomes trigger to get Family models way out of position, which forces them to waste AP to just save models.

• Like 1

Carver is great against family. Ripping off their focus for a plus flip is just plain nasty. He's also great against rider if you can force the stunned through before charging. 

I would be a bit wary of fielding kade. Manipulative is a  bad defense against a keyword that spams focus. 

Also you'll probably run into both Santiago and steward, so don't count on stunned staying on for too long. 

Coppellius sounds like a great idea, I could see him being a nasty surprise. 

Personally I'd bring an aversion instead of Kade and give Candy IH. It's an extra push and scatter can play nasty tricks on a bubble, plus if you throw a crow on it you can use terrorise to hurt his hand, making A Por El harder to use. 

• Like 1

What about Maurice and his cover aura + Back Up? He seems good in this match up.

Coppelius make sense having also Carver and Serena... other models with a similar role could be a Rougarou (has also a push for allies and for enemies when he attacks, H2W is great versus family min 2 damage and is a good beater) or the Rider (ride with me instead of the push, H2W and also good beater).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

Maurice honestly isn't worth his cost for an aura that only works after activating. If he was six stones and the aura was always on, then maybe, but as he is he's way overprised. Besides, Cover isn't that hard to gain with the new shadow rules.

He doesn't seems specialy eye appealing to me either, but I haven't seen him in action and this is like the perfect game for him. If he is not worth picking versus a gunline then someone should make a short post about him here:

On 12/11/2019 at 1:09 AM, Regelridderen said:

Maurice is out for several factors, I don’t like the model, I don’t own the model and I don’t want to paint the model. 

My Neverborn is limited to Nightmares, Woes, Mimic, Hinamatsu and Hoody. 

I always find it funny when someone asks for advice on a short list of models for a new faction, and everyone says to "get the models that appeal to you/you want to put together and paint", but then when you tell them about your limited selection, they suggest models that you have already said you don't own, and in some cases, would be difficult to get short of buying another keyword box.

I am with you, Maurice looks like trash, is harder to come across, and even with paint, still looks like trash. Lousy half-blood

On 12/15/2019 at 10:34 AM, farmoar said:

I always find it funny when someone asks for advice on a short list of models for a new faction, and everyone says to "get the models that appeal to you/you want to put together and paint", but then when you tell them about your limited selection, they suggest models that you have already said you don't own, and in some cases, would be difficult to get short of buying another keyword box.

I am with you, Maurice looks like trash, is harder to come across, and even with paint, still looks like trash. Lousy half-blood

I've actually found a niche for him in some Nekima lists instead of bringing along a young nephilim.  Reason being is his cover aura is very nice on some boards and some matchups where there are open fire lanes.  Not a constant pick, but a nice thing to have in your back pocket.

Unlike those other useless halfbloods not named Angel Eyes or Tuco...

So I faced off against Perdita with 

Pandora - Perdita Reckoning (Neverborn)
Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Pandora
Totem(s):
  Poltergeist
Hires:
  Candy
  Serena Bowman
  Baby Kade
  Coppelius
  The Carver
    Inhuman Reflexes

Vs

Perdita Liga 2 (Guild)
Size: 50 - Pool: 3
Leader:
  Perdita Ortega
Totem(s):
  Enslaved Nephilim
Hires:
  Francisco Ortega
  Abuela Ortega
  Papa Loco
  Santiago Ortega
  Pistolero De Latigo
  Pistolero De Latigo 2
  The Lone Marshal

We both took Assassinate. I took Claim Jump with Serena and he took Harness. 

Turn 1 started out with a big bang, as the rider blew Jokered 6 damage into Coppelius, then retreated. Serena then pumped him full of painkillers, as he and Pandora pushed Candy forward and then he tried to circle around and chase down the rider. 

0 - 0

Turn 2 saw Papa Loco starting to throw dynamite around and I quickly realized, that he, Santiago and the Rider were to be trouble. Yet I couldn’t do much, due to a bad hand and even worse flips. So I pushed the Carver ahead. Drawing all the bullets from the family into him, while frantically trying to support him with WP attacks and stones - he died, but paved the way for Candy to Teleport in to the midst of the family. 

0 - 1

Turn 3, the family decided they didn’t like sweets. Even less so that Serena healed her back up. 

They started to throw lead anywhere. Kade drew away Santiago, but failed to even hit him, while Papa rained the pain. 

Francisco tried to take out the Poltergeist, but failed. Serena beat up Papa, but when Coppelius came for the kill, he failed miserably. 

Pandora started to pile on the self loathing on Perdita, and the Rider started to blow her away. I tried to strip away his Ruthless with the Geist, which cost it its life. 

And then I made the big blunder of having Candy throw a Temper Tantrum and scatter everyone. 

The pistoleros were busy dropping markers on the ley line  

0 - 2

Turn 4 saw Loco die from a box opening. Misery made sure his demise didn’t hurd Coppelius and Serena. While Pandora brough Perdita to half wounds. Before the rider and Perdita killed her off. 

Then Coppelius charged Perdita  and started ripping at her eyes. Candy killed off Abuela, then got into position to annoy Perdita and Rider in T5. Serena took up position in the center. While Kade cried his heart out only to have Santiago execute him. 

3 - 4

T5 started with Coppelius killing Perdita, then Candy took the Rider. No family member were able to threaten Serena, but they could score the ley line. 

End result 6 - 5

A great and tight game. Mood Swing were crucial to keep timing right. Despair pushed equally to keep up with the Family’s pushes. 

The Lone Marshall was a horror, luckily he made the blunder of not killing Coppelius in T1. 

Ending with only Serena Coppelius and Candy on the board was demoralizing, but they proved to supplement each others great. The heal from Serena and the pushes from Coppelius were important to get me across the board without losing too many models. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

So I faced off against Perdita with 

Pandora - Perdita Reckoning (Neverborn)
Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Pandora
Totem(s):
  Poltergeist
Hires:
  Candy
  Serena Bowman
  Baby Kade
  Coppelius
  The Carver
    Inhuman Reflexes

Vs

Perdita Liga 2 (Guild)
Size: 50 - Pool: 3
Leader:
  Perdita Ortega
Totem(s):
  Enslaved Nephilim
Hires:
  Francisco Ortega
  Abuela Ortega
  Papa Loco
  Santiago Ortega
  Pistolero De Latigo
  Pistolero De Latigo 2
  The Lone Marshal

We both took Assassinate. I took Claim Jump with Serena and he took Harness. 

Turn 1 started out with a big bang, as the rider blew Jokered 6 damage into Coppelius, then retreated. Serena then pumped him full of painkillers, as he and Pandora pushed Candy forward and then he tried to circle around and chase down the rider. 

0 - 0

Turn 2 saw Papa Loco starting to throw dynamite around and I quickly realized, that he, Santiago and the Rider were to be trouble. Yet I couldn’t do much, due to a bad hand and even worse flips. So I pushed the Carver ahead. Drawing all the bullets from the family into him, while frantically trying to support him with WP attacks and stones - he died, but paved the way for Candy to Teleport in to the midst of the family. 

0 - 1

Turn 3, the family decided they didn’t like sweets. Even less so that Serena healed her back up. 

They started to throw lead anywhere. Kade drew away Santiago, but failed to even hit him, while Papa rained the pain. 

Francisco tried to take out the Poltergeist, but failed. Serena beat up Papa, but when Coppelius came for the kill, he failed miserably. 

Pandora started to pile on the self loathing on Perdita, and the Rider started to blow her away. I tried to strip away his Ruthless with the Geist, which cost it its life. 

And then I made the big blunder of having Candy throw a Temper Tantrum and scatter everyone. 

The pistoleros were busy dropping markers on the ley line  

0 - 2

Turn 4 saw Loco die from a box opening. Misery made sure his demise didn’t hurd Coppelius and Serena. While Pandora brough Perdita to half wounds. Before the rider and Perdita killed her off. 

Then Coppelius charged Perdita  and started ripping at her eyes. Candy killed off Abuela, then got into position to annoy Perdita and Rider in T5. Serena took up position in the center. While Kade cried his heart out only to have Santiago execute him. 

3 - 4

T5 started with Coppelius killing Perdita, then Candy took the Rider. No family member were able to threaten Serena, but they could score the ley line. 

End result 6 - 5

A great and tight game. Mood Swing were crucial to keep timing right. Despair pushed equally to keep up with the Family’s pushes. 

The Lone Marshall was a horror, luckily he made the blunder of not killing Coppelius in T1. 

Ending with only Serena Coppelius and Candy on the board was demoralizing, but they proved to supplement each others great. The heal from Serena and the pushes from Coppelius were important to get me across the board without losing too many models. 

Nice win!

Interesting choice using Coppelius in that crew. I always want to try him but the cost always makes me shy away as for one more stone I get the utility of the Hooded Rider. However, with two other Nightmares in the crew he seems like a solid choice and is always fun to use.

@Mut Coppelius is Terrifying and has plenty of opportunity to regenerate from failed WP. The hooded has hard to kill and is Sz3. I expected Monster Hunters so Coppelius had a lot to offer also in the way of anti-scheming. 

I’ve underrated C myself, but I think, he has a lot to offer. Also handing out Slow works nicely for Woes - although he completely failed on that account. 

-

One of my toughest choices was, that I had to pick models for my opponent to kill. In order for me to get close enough to win. My choice was the Carver for his Sz3 to cover the other models and draw attention. Henchman status to use stones. Terrifying to waste resources and ability to regenerate from failed Wp. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So after a small hiatus, I was set up to face off vs Lucius again - although another player.

PLANT EXPLOSIVES I CORNER DEPLOYMENT

Power Ritual, Claim Jump, Take Prisoner, Vendetta, Deliver a Message. - both players took Vendetta and Claim Jump

LUCIUS CREW

Lucius, Scribe, 2x Lawyers, Agent 46, Rifleman, Executioner, Nino Ortega 

PANDORA CREW

Pandora (Eldritch Magic), Poltergeist, Candy, Baby Kade, Serena Bowman, Hooded Rider, 2xSorrow

The field had a decent amount of terrain, One corner had a big hazardous lake and the opposite a large forest. So I gave Lucius the Lake to walk around, while my Incorporeals could enjoy a forest.

TURN ONE

I won initiative and had a brain fart and chose to go first - blatant idiocy. There was some slow advancement, some cautious focusing on my part. While Nino took up one flank, the Rifleman took position in the middle, and the rest of Lucius crowd advanced the other way around the Lake, getting the Agent and Executioner near the center. A few pod shots to no effect.

SCORE 0 : 0

TURN TWO

Again I won initiative, and Pandora engaged to bait the agent and the Executioner - and managed to Slow both via Self Loathing, so they lost their bite. The Agent dumped a bomb right in the centre, but before Lucius and his Lawyers could use him to put the pressure on Pandora, the Poltergeist swooped in and a Grand melee ensued with the Hooded, Serena and Baby Kade. A Sorrow plantes another explosive, while drawing attention from Nino and the Rifleman, who were otherwise stripping wounds off the rider, faster than Serena could hand him Painkillers. The Executioner died, Agent 46 wacked the Poltergeist for 4 damage, before Candy swooped in to take position. 

SCORE 1 : 1

TURN THREE

Pandora cause the poor Agent to loathe himself to death, and suddenly the Poltergeist found itself with three packs of enemy Explosives, so it ran into the hazardous Lake and dumped one. The rider got Obeyed into hitting Serena for 5, but that was about it my opponent managed to do, while a Sorrow carried out its Vendetta vs a Lawyer, who then got killed. The rider red jokeren damage on another Lawyer, and suddenly Lucius stood alone with his Scribe on the side facing the Rider, far from his two shooters. And Kade picked up the enemy bomb for a plaything. And Serena took up position to Claim Jump.

SCORE 4 : 1

TURN FOUR 

We agreed, there was nothing left to do. My opponent had been stripped of options, while my crew was mostly unscathed, and we called it quits.

SCORE 8 : 1

AFTERMATH

It was a good and fun game, but I was on easy street, as my opponent wasn’t sure of his crew and model abilities, so I was coaching him along the way, so he didn’t miss his options. Then despite his card draw mechanics, he missed quite a lot of his actions, and I was able to cheat him out of his important ones. I hit the RJ thrice and the BJ once, he hit three BJs and one RJ. So even if Malifaux isn’t a game of luck, bad things happen.

Attached you see the Hooded rider, just before we called it quits..

B1A44247-EB8B-4DED-A776-8BC669C88C8D.jpeg

• Like 2