The 2020 Painting Challenge - Sign up here!

Caedrus

So the health condition I mentioned when dropping out from the 2019 challenge still isn't under control, and is likely to continue to be a setback well into 2020. 🙄 Regardless, it won't cost me anything more than the usual self-recriminations should I have to drop out again in 2020. Please sign me up at Minion level and we'll see if I can beat my personal best of 2 months.

• Like 4

Hi All,

I've been deliberately quiet on this thread, as I wanted to let people consider and discuss the proposals, but also to give people a chance to put forward their own ideas. I'll respond now (just because I am planning the January Challenge thread). Rmember, this is just Caedrus' opinion!

Buy-Back

My opinion is that @Shock & Awe and @Rathnard have come up with a good solution. To that end, I propose the following for the 2020 Challenge intro text:

"Everyone has good months and bad months. To encourage people to continue to paint, we will be trying out a new rule this year: the Buy-Back. In the past, if you have used your two mulligans, you’re out of the Challenge!

However, in 2020, you can buy your way back into the challenge. All you have to do is to undertake your normal pledge and paint for the month, AND undertake the pledge and paint from one of the months you mulliganed.

E.g.: Sarah is painting at Enforcer level (6SS/month), and she’s needed to mulligan for the third time. When the next month comes around, Sarah announces that for the month, she’ll paint 12SS. If she does so, she’s back in the Challenge!

At such a time, it might be worthwhile considering dropping down a category, but that’s up to Sarah!"

What do people think of this?

Terrain

Disclaimer: I am biased on this topic.

On one hand, I absolutely love good terrain, and I am personally guilty of not getting into it as much as I would like! As @Wintergloom very rightly states, there are varying qualities of terrain painting. On the other hand, I think that people should feel encouraged to have terrain, and not feel under pressure to meet a standard, as @lusciousmccabe said.

Would something like this work (citing visual examples such as the ones Wintergloom found (thank you! 😊)

• Scatter Piece (5SS): A modest piece of terrain, or a small number of scattered terrain pieces. These are the spray-can and dry-brush pieces.
  • Focus Piece (10SS): A terrain piece that represents a focal point of pride in a terrain board. These pieces require a decent amount of construction and painting.
  • Centre Piece (20SS): A terrain piece that is a significant centrepiece to the terrain. A handmade forest, a mausoleum, or a train engine.
  • Masterpiece (50SS): A gorgeous, unique terrain piece that makes people wonder if you get out much.
  • War and Peace (100SS): A complete, themed terrain board.

Opinions are very welcome here, folks!

Does anyone else have any thoughts about how the Challenge can be improved? All views are welcome!

Caedrus.

• Like 4

I'm a new player as of October 2019, and I love this idea! Since I'll be collecting and painting my way into at least one faction, I'd like to be ambitious and start with a Master Level Pledge!

If I wind up full-up on minis, perhaps I'll move on to some of the terrain suggestions. Thanks to you guys for organizing this!

PS: Where will the updates each month be, and is there a place to keep track of our progress on any sort of public spreadsheet or what-have-you?

• Like 1

@Yore Huckleberry:

There will be a monthly thread, which I set up just before the start of each month. 

Many painters photograph their pledge, and/or a Work-In-Progress (WIP), and/or any completed minis, for fame and feedback! 

I start a Google Sheets public spreadsheet for the year to track painters. 

Have a look at the previous threads, and they will give you a better idea of what I mean! 

• Thanks 1

I've been in this since the very start so seems like a no-brainer to sign up for 2020. I don't really have major plans connected with Malifaux as I paint mainly commissions these days. Sadly, I haven't played the game for more than a year. Still, I did order Eurypides' crew + Silent Knight during black Friday sale. The order hasn't left the us since then (more than a month now) but I hope I'll get it eventually. I think I'll sign up for Enforcer category for next year and see how it goes.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for doing this again @Caedrus

Hi, everybody,  I'm Stranglelove.  I joined the Painting Challenge last January to get motivated to paint The Cult of the Burning Man for the Adepticon tournament.  After winning Best Painted Company, I was pretty much hooked.  When I finish my December pledge, I'll have painted over 500ss worth of stuff this year.  My favorite part of the challenge is being inspired by the unique paint schemes and basing that everyone makes.

ADVICE FOR NEWBIES:  I highly recommend clicking the Follow button at the top of the thread so that you receive emails when others submit their entires.  It's a great motivator (and a nice distraction at work).

I like @Wintergloom's suggestions for terrain evaluation, and I agree that it should stay 2 mulligans and you're out.  The more leeway you give, the less of a challenge it becomes.

TOP GOALS FOR 2020: 

1. Taking better photographs.  I've been looking at small light boxes online and might pull the trigger on one.  I'll be asking for feedback as the year progresses.
  2. Finish painting The Cult of the Burning Man.
  3. Paint another M3E crew to the level of my Parker crew.

PLEDGE LEVEL: Tyrant 😈

• Like 5

I'm new both to Malifaux and mini painting, and this seems like a great way to get me motivated to paint my grey minis, and get some terrain done. So far I've just cheated with Plast Craft's ColorED stuff so I didn't have to actually make any terrain... I'm in at Henchman for now.

• Like 3

Hey all, I’m a long time Malifaux player, started way back in 1.0. I’m also @Stranglelove ‘s Dad and helped get him into the hobby. He’s a better painter than I am but it’s time to start painting my pile of unpainted plastic and get some “painted” crews on the table. I’m hoping that the 2020 challenge keeps me motivated to get more crews and terrain painted for this (and a few other) great games.  It’s time to get the Gremlin horde painted, hopefully I don’t get too sick of painting all that green flesh.

Pledging Tyrant! 

• Like 5

Hi! I'd like to sign up and do Enforcer :)

Started malifaux briefly back in early/mid 2nd ed, stopped for a while, then picked it up again September 2019 with my housemates... also may have splashed out on the Black Friday sale so when that haul arrives I'll have plenty to keep me busy.  

• Like 2

@Caedrus I decided not to enroll for 2020. I feel like painting non-Wyrd models and I am afraid the challenge does not help me in this regard. I lost a bit of motivation since Malifaux is not played anymore in my area and I want to get it back by painting other things.

I have been completing the challenge for the last fours years. I really enjoyed this group. It really motivated me and the interaction with some of you was fantastic for me. I know we haven't met in real life and I can hardly call the relationship "friendship", but sometimes it was almost there for me. Hopefully, if some of you show up in Chile, let me know and we can go for a beer.

It is possible I'll come back for 2021. In the mean time, I might open my personal thread to post my stuff or leave a message in the group once in a while to say "hello".

Keep up the good work!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Franchute said:

In the mean time, I might open my personal thread to post my stuff..

Please do:)

Shame about Wyrd declining in your area, but it sounds like you've got other things to tide you over. Hobby on 💪

I've really enjoyed your contributions to the challenge.

• Thanks 1

@Caedrus is it still possible to sign up? If so I want to join in at Enforcer level!

A little about me:
I've been in to the miniature games since 1998 I think, on and off. Not played that much, mostly WHFB and Mordheim. I've actually never played a game of Malifaux! I just enjoy painting, but as many others I buy a box, paint one model and then buy a new one... 
I was in at the 2018 challenge but had to drop out because of life stuffs! I enjoyed it a lot, and it really motivated me to go through my box(es) of shame. 
My hope for this year is to paint up a full crew (not decided which yet) and hopefully have a chance to play a game or two as well. 
I got a son last year so ofcourse that take up most of my time but I reccon 6ss a month should be doabale.

• Like 2