Yasunori, Do A Barrel Roll!

Jesy Blue

So it has come to my attention that Yasunori has a Mv resistance trigger.  I think I only use 3 models that have an attack that is resisted by Mv: 

• Freikorps Drachen Trooper
  • Tri-Chi Whiskey Golem/Gamin
  • Oni Akaname

What else in the crews I don't use targets Movement that I should be on the look out for?

38 minutes ago, Drfaust176 said:

Zipp, Kaeris, and Merris LaCroix all have “Up We Go”, which targets Mv. Then again, they all can’t target Yas because he can fly, so...

Up We Go targets Size....

• Agree 1

Just remember...

Lucas McCabe's Netgun is Rst Mv, so the resistance trigger applies there.  The TN 13 Mv duels in Make Way! aren't opposed duels, so the resistance trigger cannot be declared.

Same with Wanydo:  The resistance trigger applies to Burning Wheel, it won't apply to Burning Path.

Flipping through cards...

• Rail Worker's Pneumatic Toss.
  • Clockwork trap's Trapping Jaws.
  • Basse's Caught in Quicksand.
  • Grootslang's Barbed Tongue.
  • Mysterious Emissary's Roots From Below.
  • Drachen Trooper's Flmethrower.
  • Minsrestor's Noose.
  • Jack Daw's Dead Man's Collar.
  • Guilty's Agony.
  • Crooked Man's Earthquake
  • Drowned's Projectile Vomit
  • Flesh Construct's Projectile Vomit
  • Hanged's Dead Man's Collar
  • Restless Spirit's Tombstone
  • Rogue Necromancy's Projectile Vomit

It's enough to justify the stat, I guess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, solkan said:

Just remember...

Lucas McCabe's Netgun is Rst Mv, so the resistance trigger applies there.  The TN 13 Mv duels in Make Way! aren't opposed duels, so the resistance trigger cannot be declared.

Same with Wanydo:  The resistance trigger applies to Burning Wheel, it won't apply to Burning Path.

Flipping through cards...

• Rail Worker's Pneumatic Toss.
  • Clockwork trap's Trapping Jaws.
  • Basse's Caught in Quicksand.
  • Grootslang's Barbed Tongue.
  • Mysterious Emissary's Roots From Below.
  • Drachen Trooper's Flmethrower.
  • Minsrestor's Noose.
  • Jack Daw's Dead Man's Collar.
  • Guilty's Agony.
  • Crooked Man's Earthquake
  • Drowned's Projectile Vomit
  • Flesh Construct's Projectile Vomit
  • Hanged's Dead Man's Collar
  • Restless Spirit's Tombstone
  • Rogue Necromancy's Projectile Vomit

It's enough to justify the stat, I guess.

So about 20 spread throughout the factions.... not bad.  And as what looks to be the only model in the game with a Resistance Trigger for Mv, another very unique tool in the Ten Thunder's arsenal.

2 hours ago, Mycellanious said:

Most Shockwaves are resisted by Mv. At least the Dynamite themed ones. Pnematic Toss from Railworkers as well, and Mei Feng's bonus action.

It only applies to contested duels... I made the same mistake, which is what prompted this post.  If it worked against 90% of the shockwave attacks out there it would have been a universally good ability.  Unfortunately, it's just nuanced.

3 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

So about 20 spread throughout the factions.... not bad.  And as what looks to be the only model in the game with a Resistance Trigger for Mv, another very unique tool in the Ten Thunder's arsenal.

It only applies to contested duels... I made the same mistake, which is what prompted this post.  If it worked against 90% of the shockwave attacks out there it would have been a universally good ability.  Unfortunately, it's just nuanced.

Do you have a pg number for that pls?

9 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

Do you have a pg number for that pls?

PDF, page 12.  It's the third paragraph of Triggers.

The relevant sentence is the start of the paragraph:

Resistance Triggers are Abilities (listed on the front of a model's Stat Card) and may be used when the model is involved in an opposed duel that uses the stat referenced by the Resistance Trigger.

Cross reference with Duels on page 10:

If a duel has a Resist stat, then it is an opposed duel. Opposed duels involve two different models each making a duel and then comparing their final duel totals to determine a victor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
39 minutes ago, korgal said:

you think this fig will be re errata. I find it a shame because this fig I will come out more with the current errata. What do you think ?

Yours was the first post in this thread since the last errata, so I don't think that there is a huge outcry about her current powerlevel just yet (although probably not helped that there aren't as many games going on at the moment)

unfortunately, not all Malifaux players come here. In any case we are several players in an association to think that he is too nervous (even my opponents lol). a cost of 11, removing onslaught and lowering the defensive capacity with triggers is too much. I think just switching it to 11s was enough.

• Like 1

I have put Yasunori on the table since the update, and I can say:

• Yes, he definitely feels much weaker on the table with less overall damage output.
  • Yes, he lost some great defense and feels softer on the table.

But he did shine in one area that was not impacted by the errata, which is the sheer mobility and movement tricks. His ability to get around the table and push / pull other models with him (friend and foe alike) is phenomenal. I don't think he's worth 11 points in his current form, but he does have a place in some of my lists and did contribute to a win with the control he brings.

I think one of the 3 nerfs needs rescinded and he'd be okay, though my preference is to either the damage output or the durability.

12 hours ago, regleant said:

but he does have a place in some of my lists and did contribute to a win with the control he brings.

Please elaborate.  I had finished painting him and managed to get a game in with him right before everything went into lockdown but was unimpressed with his performance.  In hindsight it was a poor choice to pick him for the match-up (vs.  Titania) but I wanted to try and get him on the table anyway while I had the chance.

23 hours ago, korgal said:

unfortunately, not all Malifaux players come here. In any case we are several players in an association to think that he is too nervous (even my opponents lol). a cost of 11, removing onslaught and lowering the defensive capacity with triggers is too much. I think just switching it to 11s was enough.

The fact that some people are still hiring her in her current rules, even if only occasionally, might suggest that the power level is about right. I don't think Malifaux should have "always hire" models, but rather you hire a model because it does what you want for that game. So for me, it seems she is in an acceptable place

Whilst she might not be a top tier model anymore, I think she is far from the bottom tier of models. If you were to list the  10 models per faction that would never get picked, I don't think she would be in many lists. So even if she was slightly over hit, and is now a below average model in most situations, she isn't an extreme outlier, who are probably more deserving of getting improved.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

9 hours ago, Hooloovoo said:

Please elaborate.  I had finished painting him and managed to get a game in with him right before everything went into lockdown but was unimpressed with his performance.  In hindsight it was a poor choice to pick him for the match-up (vs.  Titania) but I wanted to try and get him on the table anyway while I had the chance.

Sure, here are some ways that I was able to utilize Yasunori in my last 2 games with him. Also note I ran him with Misaki both games:

• Speed 7 and Flight allows him to get around the field and this makes him arguably the most mobile model that we have. While he does not have Agile, he does have The Wind's Wrath which can be used to disengage.
  • The Wind's Wrath affects Enemy models as well as Friendly. That's a fun one to use, especially when one of the scenarios requires a model to be B2B with a strategy marker at the end of a turn. It can also help you get that extra Quick Reflexes attack.
  • Chaos Unleashed functions similarly to Winds Wrath, above. Remember that it impacts both Friendly and Enemy models.
  • While an 11-point model seems like an expensive scheme runner, Schemes win games. Using all of the tips and tricks above, he can free himself to Interact, and his Height 3 and 50mm base blocks LOS (which is required for SO MANY schemes).
  • Misaki giving Yasunori a free charge is pretty clutch on an already-highly-mobile model. :) 
  • (edit) The Wind's Wrath gets around Butterfly Jump and similar moves, so long as you were B2B when you made your first attack.
  • (edit) And generally, while Yasunori doesn't have any stand-out Offense / Defense capabilities as he used to, he's no slouch in combat.

I have not tried to use Revel in Chaos, yet, as I am loath to help my opponent. But that seems to be a great way to utilize more of his offensive and defensive tech. 

Hope that helps. Again, I'm not promoting Yasunori as the best choice for a list. But he does have flexible uses. Just don't expect a beat-stick going in or you will be disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yas got nerfed into the ground.  Honestly, replacing the onslaught trigger with the Quick Reflexes trigger did it.  That was everything needed.  He can be powerful for 10 stones, he just can't be an armor +1/2 beater with 4 stat 6+ 2/4/5 attacks.  That was basically "eat a model a round for the entire game" level of good, and that's not okay.  

For moving lodestones around, Waynudo are Mv 7, and Unimpeded, which is better than flight for that purpose.  

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Adran said:

The fact that some people are still hiring her in her current rules, even if only occasionally, might suggest that the power level is about right. I don't think Malifaux should have "always hire" models, but rather you hire a model because it does what you want for that game. So for me, it seems she is in an acceptable place

Whilst she might not be a top tier model anymore, I think she is far from the bottom tier of models. If you were to list the  10 models per faction that would never get picked, I don't think she would be in many lists. So even if she was slightly over hit, and is now a below average model in most situations, she isn't an extreme outlier, who are probably more deserving of getting improved.

I disagree with you! Before the nerf he was a strong model but far from top-tier! TT has way stronger models than he was for often less SS.

Before the nerf he was a niche pick for me. Now he is way too costly and only is a glorified schemers. I would never take him anymore because like I said TT always have better choice than him for mobility and dmg or mobility and tankyness!

Also is unique ability, revel in chaos, is so bad for an 11ss model.

• Agree 4

8 hours ago, Cursed25 said:

I disagree with you! Before the nerf he was a strong model but far from top-tier! TT has way stronger models than he was for often less SS.

I want some of what you're smoking, that stuff must be killer.

Although if you want to make an argument for an across the board nerf of a faction, this would be it...

• Haha 2