asrian

Question

Had a question today.  Howard Langston with Lead Lined Coat was wounded and within Schtooks Academic Superiority aura (can't benefit from upgrades.

Hoffman moves forward, uses welding torch on Langston, hits the trigger, and makes it so Langston's armor cannot be ignored. 

So, what's the correct way to play this: 

A) Langston benefits from Armor +2 that can't be ignored (due to Hoffman's trigger and Lead Lined Coat upgrade)

B) Langston benefits from Armor +1 that can't be ignored (disregarding the Armor +1 from Lead Lined Coat upgrade due to Von Schtook's aura.

Screenshot_20191201-030155.png

Screenshot_20191201-032855.png

Screenshot_20191201-030127~2.png

• Like 2

5 answers to this question

Interesting interaction. I'd say the Armor cannot be ignored because if 2 rules contradict each other, the rule that say that something "can't" overrule the one that say it "can" (pg3 ebook). And in this case both wordings use "ignore" (ignore X if it's in an upgrade card vs X cannot be ignored). So option A.

If two special rules directly contradict each other, rules that prevent something from happening take precedent over rules that allow something to happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would favor Academic Superiority. One rule is saying that damage can't ignore armor. The other rule is saying the model is ignoring (at least part of) the source of that armor. There isn't a rules conflict as there is no more armor being given by the upgrade to be ignored.

What I get for replying to quickly and not actually reading the text of Temper Steel. Temper Steel definitely wins since can't be ignored trumps ignore as @Ogid said.

8 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

I would favor Academic Superiority. One rule is saying that damage can't ignore armor. The other rule is saying the model is ignoring (at least part of) the source of that armor. There isn't a rules conflict as there is no more armor being given by the upgrade to be ignored.

Tempered Steel doesn't say 'damage cannot ignore Armor'.

It says "[target's] Armor ability cannot be ignored."

Both instances of the Armor ability belong to the model (the one on the card itself and the one gained from the upgrade), and Tempered Steel prevents either of them being ignored.

Just now, solkan said:

Tempered Steel doesn't say 'damage cannot ignore Armor'.

It says "[target's] Armor ability cannot be ignored."

Both instances of the Armor ability belong to the model (the one on the card itself and the one gained from the upgrade), and Tempered Steel prevents either of them being ignored.

Yeah, my looks like my correction edit ninjaed you.