Schemes & Stones #126: Tax Time with Bayou

Jesy Blue

Surprised no bokor. Ranged heal, pulse shield and with glowy can get the suit to obey (and lots of bayou crews have friendly fire).

Would also add a warpig with inferiority complex. Need to heal add in rams, need to ignore armor you have tomes. Mv 6 with reckless means they will pick the battle and just go through things.

Survivor imo shouldn't be a contender even in theme I find them pretty meh. They are tanky for their cost but can't do anything with that tankiness in Bayou.  Spit hogs I find die too easily and the bonus action is pretty hard for some models to hold up (not to mention bunching up to use it).

Would put the top 5 as

1) Big Brain Brin

2) First Mate

3) Rooster Riders

4) Bokor

5) Whiskey Golem (faster than Mancha, more damage and with DF6 and armour 2 he is hard to take down, not to mention beer googles is more useful imo than hard to wound)

honourable mention to Raphael, Silurid, Merris, Warpig

• Agree 1

Thanks for the episode! It was an interesting listen, but I feel like your lack of experience with the Bayou kind of showed. On the plus side, it's encouraged me to get involved in the dialog about OOK models, so it's certainly not a bad thing. ;)

One of the things that stuck out to me is the Spit Hog. It's great on paper, but in alot of crews it's either too slow to remain effective, or most models have more pressing things to do with their quick action than attempt a heal. Basically the Spit Hog isn't that great, especially when you consider its limited role and what you pay for it. 

If you need a healer, then as @wizuriel implied the Gautraeux Bokor is a much stronger option. The pulse trigger is easy to get with Glowy and Throwing around Shielded can keep stuff alive a little longer. His attack is decent and Obey can be invaluable (again, you've got Glowy for the required suit). Basically with the Bokor you get a healer, plus a whole toolbox of other tricks you don't otherwise get easy access to. 

The other ones that stuck out to me are the Iron Skeeters and Survivors. The former has some value in pushing up a friendly model, then running off to hunt enemy scheme markers and generally be a pain. But beyond that they're the same cost as Gracie, who seems like a far better deal given her raw killing power and resilience. In any case if you want scheme marker removal, most crews already have an in-keyword option, or there's Gluttony. 

The Survivor is okay, but he's just a cheap tanky fighter. That's nothing that most crews can't already get (if they even need such a model). Far better to stay in-keyword and benefit from the innate synergies you're likely to get instead. 

Personally, my own top 5 list would be as follows;
1. Big Brain Brin (as already discussed...literally everything on his card is great)
2. First Mate (also discussed - it both schemes and punches really well for what you pay)
3. Trixie (Ill Omens for Corrupted Idols, Free Loot for scheme marker removal and a brutally effective Lure! With the right objectives, Trixie does work.)
4. Gautraeux Bokor (as above)
5. Whiskey Golem (just for being a fast, tough beatstick)

Honourable mentions for me would be:

Slop Hauler - Actually worth taking in a beast-heavy Wong crew. Supports the Swinecursed and Gracie really well, and is a very low cost source of mass healing.
Lightning Bug - Specifically with Ophelia, who values its healing and scheme marker manipulation, plus can plink it for Fast and Glowy very easily. 
Sparks LeBlanc - Can strip Armour/Shielded from enemy models, and has some great synergy with any crew that has construct he can buff. Giving Packed Explosives to stuffed piglets, then shooting them with a pigapult is also pretty brutal!
Silurid - This is a maybe for me. It's great at dumping scheme markers where you need them, but not much else. It will probably guarantee you certain schemes, but the 12 Cups of Coffee upgrade is already great at turning a random minion into a lightning-fast scheme runner. 

• Agree 1

Honestly, if Test Subjects didn't have absolutely terrible Df & Wp, it would be broken... but 4 stones for 6 wounds is not bad at all.  Not as good as what they're saying, but pretty good.

On 11/30/2019 at 3:57 PM, Jesy Blue said:

Honestly, if Test Subjects didn't have absolutely terrible Df & Wp, it would be broken... but 4 stones for 6 wounds is not bad at all.  Not as good as what they're saying, but pretty good.

It is fair I guess, walking through pit traps puts them on really high stats...

Oh yeah, if you like wanted to protect a Turf War Marker or the corners in Idols, leave the test subject in a Pit Trap with Twelve Cups of Coffee and then watch them dare to target them to try to get to interact around them!

.... except for attacks targeting Movement, Size, Shockwaves, Don't Mind Me, putting a model in base contact, or anything targeting them at the beginning of the turn. 

• Agree 2

Test Subjects are amazing for their cost. Hands down. The biggest scare is 2 WP, you gotta work quick to get that pumped up against certain crews. However, they do all kinds of work for me even if its just scooting up a flank to drop markers for breakthrough. 

My OOK picks btw are:

1. Brin (Duh)

2. Trixie (Positioning is everything)

3. Bokor (best Healer in faction, plus shielded, plus Obey)

4. Mancha (Marker removal is so stupid good in this edition. He's a key counterpick to multiple keywords)

5. Sparks (its an investment but bombs are just good. Add in his ability to keep enemies from targetting each other shuts down crews even if he dies hard, thats AP they gotta put into him)

Honorable mentions are: SIlurids, Iron Skeeters, Lightning Bugs, and Golem, First Mate, Test Subjects. 

Been forcing myself to use Mancha more and he is growing on me. The marker removal I fine is good, but just doing it for injured 1 isn't worth the setup. Better to use to remove enemy markers, but I feel the emissary does a better job with that. The 2 discard effects for Mancha just kills him for me.

Been really liking hiring a bushwhaker out of theme. Pit traps in a zip crew is pretty fun using up we go to toss enemies into the pit trap. 

1 hour ago, wizuriel said:

Been forcing myself to use Mancha more and he is growing on me. The marker removal I fine is good, but just doing it for injured 1 isn't worth the setup. Better to use to remove enemy markers, but I feel the emissary does a better job with that. The 2 discard effects for Mancha just kills him for me.

Been really liking hiring a bushwhaker out of theme. Pit traps in a zip crew is pretty fun using up we go to toss enemies into the pit trap. 

The only issue with the Emissary is that with boards that are getting more crowded that 12" push is getting harder to fully realize without hitting walls now. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

The only issue with the Emissary is that with boards that are getting more crowded that 12" push is getting harder to fully realize without hitting walls now. 

Yeah I find that i use Gluttony a lot more due to terrain. But If I am playing a tournament or at a store and the tables are sparce with terrain I love taking the Emissary 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 8:52 AM, wizuriel said:

Except...and I may be wrong...but while the Emissary can remove more volume wise. Mancha's can remove any type. For instance. Titania's underbrush are not destructible. So the emissary can run right over them. Whereas Mancha can delete it. 

My meta has a dedicated Titania. So the distinction is relevant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rober695 said:

Except...and I may be wrong...but while the Emissary can remove more volume wise. Mancha's can remove any type. For instance. Titania's underbrush are not destructible. So the emissary can run right over them. Whereas Mancha can delete it. 

Emissary removes every marker it came into base contact with during Steamrolling, including non-destructable.

• Agree 1