New to the game

farmoar

Hello everyone.

I have an opportunity to grab a large lot of Gibbering Hordes, but was wondering if there was anything I could shave off the list that either don't see much table-time, or are redundant. My main opponents would be everything except for King's Empire.

Very interested in running the 3 different Commanders and the Alpha Crawler. Is there anything below that I can avoid, and save some money on:
Devouring Eel
Egg Clutch
Speckled Crawlers
Yarazi
Armored Whelks
Barbed Crawlers
Morphling

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Lets see. Abyssinia Player here, but I throw my opinion in anyway:

You will need some Egg Clutches. The box of Karkinoi should include some Egg Clutch Proxy bases, if I remember correctly, so those would suffice to start with. If you do not want that, you will need two to three of them, I think.

Morphlings are at the bottom of adjuncts in terms of usefulness. They have their jobs, but one is enough for starters, and you can skip that if you want.

Eels are very good, even after the last change. If you buy one, you get some proxy bases for new eels, but if you want only original models on the field, you will need at least two of them. Your opponents will probably not allow you to multiply them, but should it comes to that, one eel can spawn at least three more over the course of a game. That said, you will need approximately two eels for each one you plan to field. And, again, you will get proxy bases.

As for units, Armored Whelks are quite useful, Speckled Crawlers are nice to have to either eat or give out Reinforcement Tokens to other units, Yarazi are fun and Barbed Crawlers are quite useless, imho. So in terms of units you could skip, I would say Barbed can be skipped, Yarazi could be, the other two should not.

Hope this helps you. As always with these games, I would say if you are not sure if you want something, borrow it if you can or if you cannot proxy it and try it out. Or if you are like me, buy it anyway ;)

4 hours ago, MuMantai said:

Eels are very good, even after the last change. If you buy one, you get some proxy bases for new eels, but if you want only original models on the field, you will need at least two of them. Your opponents will probably not allow you to multiply them, but should it comes to that, one eel can spawn at least three more over the course of a game. That said, you will need approximately two eels for each one you plan to field. And, again, you will get proxy bases.

Actually the Eel box contains 2 or 3 proxy base for new eels (don't remember the exact number), so you have what you need.

Yarazi have nice mobility (high movement, ability to move when a fireteam in the unit dies), so in some cases they can be pretty useful

15 hours ago, MuMantai said:

Lets see. Abyssinia Player here, but I throw my opinion in anyway:

You will need some Egg Clutches. The box of Karkinoi should include some Egg Clutch Proxy bases, if I remember correctly, so those would suffice to start with. If you do not want that, you will need two to three of them, I think.

Morphlings are at the bottom of adjuncts in terms of usefulness. They have their jobs, but one is enough for starters, and you can skip that if you want.

As for units, Armored Whelks are quite useful, Speckled Crawlers are nice to have to either eat or give out Reinforcement Tokens to other units, Yarazi are fun and Barbed Crawlers are quite useless, imho. So in terms of units you could skip, I would say Barbed can be skipped, Yarazi could be, the other two should not.

Hope this helps you. As always with these games, I would say if you are not sure if you want something, borrow it if you can or if you cannot proxy it and try it out. Or if you are like me, buy it anyway ;)

10 hours ago, MajorUndead said:

Actually the Eel box contains 2 or 3 proxy base for new eels (don't remember the exact number), so you have what you need.

Yarazi have nice mobility (high movement, ability to move when a fireteam in the unit dies), so in some cases they can be pretty useful

Thank you both. Sounds like I will try dropping the Barbed Crawlers, Morphling and maybe the Yarazi, and hopefully get the price down to a more manageable amount.