Foul mouthed motivation sequence.

Angelshard

Question

Foul mouthed motivation. 

"Target heals 1/2/3 and gains Focused +1." 

A friend is arguing that since it's and not then it happens at the same time, so the models controller chooses which effect to apply first.

My only counter argument is that I seem to remember that you have to do it in the order that it's written, so you can't give focus and then heal. But I can't find that in the rules.

12 answers to this question

41 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

Foul mouthed motivation. 

A friend is arguing that since it's and not then it happens at the same time, so the models controller chooses which effect to apply first.

My only counter argument is that I seem to remember that you have to do it in the order that it's written, so you can't give focus and then heal. But I can't find that in the rules.

It happens in the order in which it is specified.

The model performs the Action’s effects, as stated on the card, in the order they are listed. If any of an Action’s effects cannot be resolved, they are ignored.

Note that even if the model is at full health, it still resolves both effects.  And there isn't any difference between

Target heals 1/2/3 and gains Focused +1.

and

Target gains 1/2/3.  Target gains Focused +1.

It's just a matter of style and convention for choosing between the two forms.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, theamazingmrg said:

Is there a reason the order matters?

It may be important in games against Pandora. For a model in full health it is better to gain Focused first, suffer 1 damage from Misery and heal it back.

Anyway effects must be resolved in the order they are listed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Angelshard said:

Here the question came up in regards to queegs aura that let's you take damage and gain fast instead of focus. 

1 hour ago, eddy said:

Well it realy matters in queeg aura since you have to suffer dmg after turning focus into fast so all heal is wasted on model that statrs wounded

The developers have a habit of making some interactions deliberately sub-optimal.  I think it’s partly because the other of describing the outcome you’re trying to achieve is “Turn Focused into Fast for free with no risks.”

You’ll have to settle for being able to heal a minion up to full, and then knock a wound off to make it Fast.

14 hours ago, solkan said:

The developers have a habit of making some interactions deliberately sub-optimal.  I think it’s partly because the other of describing the outcome you’re trying to achieve is “Turn Focused into Fast for free with no risks.”

You’ll have to settle for being able to heal a minion up to full, and then knock a wound off to make it Fast.

Well i gues they went little bit too sub-optimal with guild XD

On 11/26/2019 at 8:28 AM, Angelshard said:

Foul mouthed motivation. 

Edit: Solkan has this answered well above!