Asami Tanaka vs. Parker Barrows 11.22.19

Forgotten

Ten Thunders vs Outcasts 

Asami Tanaka vs. Parker Barrows 
Flank Deployment, Malifood Scenario Three: Christmas Caroling 
Scheme Pool: Assassinate, Search the Ruins, Harness the Leyline, power Ritual, Deliver a Message 

Ten Thunders: Power Ritual and Assassinate
Outcasts: Search the Ruins and Harness the Leylines

Ten Thunders:

• Asami with Trained Ninja
  • Amanjaku
  • Ama No Zako
  • Akaname
  • Minako Rei with Silent Protector
  • Yasunori
  • Low River Monk

Vs.

Outcasts:

• Parker Barrows 
  • Doc Mitchell 
  • Mad Dog Brackett
  • Sue
  • Bandido
  • Woukou Raider
  • The Midnight Stalker
  • Dead Outlaw

Flank Deployment - the map includes four 4x4 buildings placed evenly along the centerline. The strategy is to interact with each of these buildings and do a TN 10+turn# WP duel. If successful, the interacting model gains 1-5 sugar cookies depending on level of success. At the end of turn, the model with the greatest number of cookies from each crew needs to pass a TN 14 WP duel or the model eats a cookie. VPs are gained from strat by:

• having at least 8 cookies collected throughout the crew at the end of any turn, 
  • having at least 11 by end of game, 
  • having more than the opposing player
  • having collected cookies from each of the four houses. 

A player could have a model use cookies as a bonus action to heal 1-3 points depending on the number of cookies eaten. 

Turn 1: Yasunori fishes for cards and pulls 3-13’s, a 12, and an 11 off of a 6-card pull from Revel in Chaos. The Low River Monk heals him back to full. The Akaname throws up a scrap marker for Minako to use to summon with and then it drops a scheme marker for Asami to use for healing. Minako summons a Katashiro, then she mistakenly moves forward to get ready to sing for cookies. Mad Dog comes forward and blows up her cover and then pelts her with shotgun blasts. He surprises himself when he takes five damage from out of nowhere (Minako’s Karmic Fate). Ama No Zako comes forward on a flank and has Minako run around the building into cover. Sue comes forward and misses Minako (getting the Karmic Fate upgrade). Asami summons a Jorogumo. Asami uses her reaching tendrils to get the Jorogumo up the board right in the midst of Parker’s crew. And then she fails in an attempt to get the Low River Monk up the board to support Ama and Minako. So that great hand was spent keeping Minako alive and summoning a Jorogumo. The woukou raider walks up into base contact with a building, then Parker starts wailing on the Jorogumo, allowing the raider to interact with the building getting cookies. The Jorogumo survives the hail of bullets. The Jorogumo wails on the Dead Outlaw and gets it down to one health; however, due to poor positioning of Asami, she cannot stop the Jorogumo fading out with the third flicker, she could’ve prevented at the beginning of its activation.

Turn 2: Ten Thunder’s hand is trash with high card of 8 of masks which is enough to summon a Tengu or Akaname, but the 8 is needed elsewhere. Sue kills Minako injuring himself, but he shrugs it off and moves forward into where the Jorogumo had been thrown to. Ama No Zako charges in killing the Dead Outlaw and engages Mad Dog. She swings at Mad Dog and misses. Mad Dog then swings and shoots with triggers, causing Burning +2 and Injured +4 to Ama, getting her down to 4 wounds. Amanjaku is engaged by the Midnight Stalker after he interacts with a building, but Amanjaku manages to flip a tome for the purification trigger to end the injured condition on Ama and remove a flicker. He then fails his second attempt, so the Burning stays. The Bandido charges and kills the Katashiro and lays down a scheme marker in preparation for Harness the Leylines. Yasunori attempts the card draw again, but fails so takes two movement actions towards a corner to prepare to engage Parker and/or lay down a scheme marker for Power Ritual on turn 3. Doc Mitchell moves up and heals Mad Dog. Asami does a reaching tendrils attack on Sue, throwing him into engagement with Ama No Zako. Then she does another on Doc Mitchell, pulling him forward so she can hit him using the Rip and Tear Trigger which allows her to do two points of damage. She then attempts another melee attack and fails. Parker comes forward and tries three shots at Asami, but with Cover, the attacks miss. The Akaname burps up some scrap and eats it for poison, then takes a move action up the board, preparing a charge action next turn. The Woukou Raider interacts with building to gain more cookies and moves up to the centerline. End of Turn 2, Outlaws score 1 strategy point for 8 cookies. No points for TT.

Turn 3: Ama bites Mad Dog and heals (though should’ve bit Sue - for a chance to summon Wanyudo, but I forgot about the Karmic Fate Upgrade, DOH!) with the Drink Blood trigger twice, but after stones only gets two health back. Mad Dog takes two swings to put Ama down for good. The Low River Monk moves up the board and heals Amanjaku for 3. Doc Mitchell fails the first disengagement but makes the second attempt. The Akaname charges Doc Mitchell and hits for one damage with the Infect Trigger, and then misses second attack, but catches Doc, Mad Dog, and Sue with its Horrific Odor. Sue was engaged by Akaname’s 2” melee, so he had to walk into engagement and then kills the Akaname. Asami targets Parker with her reaching tendrils attack and throws him back into position for the Yasunori to charge at. She then attempts to pull Doc Mitchell back into engagement, as she doesn’t have the cards needed to summon, but her attempts fail. The Midnight Stalker leaps out of engagement with Amanjaku, then walks over to some terrain and puts down a scheme marker for Search the Ruins. Yasunori finally takes his turn and attempts Revel in Chaos and gets a mask high enough to get the trigger. He takes 6 wounds for six cards and the Outcasts have to discard four at random, which were all weak. He then charges Parker and gets him down to just below half with all four attacks connecting (counting onslaught triggers), but Outcast stones for damage prevention. Parker attacks the Yasunori in turn but with cards in hand, all damage is prevented with the rider’s defensive trigger. Doc Mitchell dies do to Poison, and Sue and Mad Dog both take 1 point of poison damage, as well.  End of Turn: TT 1 for Assassinate and Outcast 1 for Harness the Leylines, so Outcasts up 3-1.

Turn 4: Parker attempts to pop Yasunori, but the damage is prevented again. Asami summons an Obsidian Oni, which is placed within range of two corpse markers, so no flicker is gained. She then targets the Oni with Reaching Tendrils and gets the Coordinated Attack trigger twice from masks in hand as the Oni is pushed into engagement with Sue and Mad Dog (Which is not how this trigger works. I goofed on this as the Coordinated Attack trigger is used when a friendly model is nearby the target of her Reaching Tendrils attack gets a melee attack. Oops. Now I got it.) During these triggered attacks, it uses flicker for a positive on attack against Mad Dog and hits getting Mad Dog down to HtK. The other attack hits Sue and gets her down to two left. Mad Dog activates and kills the Oni, and kills himself and Sue with the Oni’s Demise trigger. A Wanyudo should’ve been summoned at this point, but I forgot about the upgrade on Sue. The Yasunori finishes Parker with red joker damage off an attack from an Onslaught trigger, then Yasunori flies towards the corner to get ready to drop a scheme marker for Power Ritual. The Bandido and Woukou reapply scheme markers for Harness. End of Turn:  TT 1 for Assassinate, Outcast get nothing. So 3-2 Outcasts. 

Game is called at this point, since nothing can be done to deny Power Ritual. TT were not going to be able to get 8 sugar cookies in a single round for strat. Outcasts were not going to attempt to get more cookies as Bandido and Woukou already had several, and TN of 15 would not put them in range of getting more when they could only achieve weak success and they were already at 3+ cookies a piece. Asami could deny one of the Outcast schemes but probably not both, so the game is decided. 4-3 Outcast win.

• Like 2

Great write up!

A suggestion that was recently discussed in the TT forums. If you want that hard to cicle the hand, what about including the Emissary instead of Yasunori? The emissary may cicle her entire hand without getting damage and Ama with Dark Bargain may obey the Emissary to take that action again. You lose Yasunori who is a better beater than the Emissary, but you'll have a better hand and can summon a Jorogumo each turn.

A detail that I'm not sure if I got right. Are you applying the damage of Minako Karma to the attack that add the upgrade? The first attack to Minako is "free" because the karmic ties triggers when it suffer damage and the Karmic upgrade is added after resolving (so after the damage is done). And another suggestion, with the Dark Bargain you may force the Anakame to take the bonus action twice, getting both Katashiros in turn 1 (consider also pushing first minako forward with Asami to gain a few inches if that fits in your activation order)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ogid said:

A suggestion that was recently discussed in the TT forums. If you want that hard to cicle the hand, what about including the Emissary instead of Yasunori? The emissary may cicle her entire hand without getting damage and Ama with Dark Bargain may obey the Emissary to take that action again. You lose Yasunori who is a better beater than the Emissary, but you'll have a better hand and can summon a Jorogumo each turn.

Yeah, I thought about it. I'm hung up on what if I have a severe already, and then just trash? Not sure I want to set that severe down. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about that.

The intent was to keep throwing Jorogumo to the center of the map and tie up the opponent's AP with it. To that end, I wanted to see how well a first turn Yas/Low River Monk combo could work, and it worked better than I'd hoped. At least for the first turn. The Monk's positioning needs to be better to help support the crew. 

A detail that I'm not sure if I got right. Are you applying the damage of Minako Karma to the attack that add the upgrade? The first attack to Minako is "free" because the karmic ties triggers when it suffer damage and the Karmic upgrade is added after resolving (so after the damage is done).

Yeah, first attack allows the upgrade to be applied and then the second attack's damage applies. With Mad Dog, he has SO many more wounds than Minako, that keeping the upgrade on him and applying the damage to him wasn't going to get me very far. When Sue activated and shot at her, I thought he'd be an easier target for Ama No Zako to bring down, if Minako couldn't last long enough to do it herself. It was the fourth or fifth time I'd brought Minako, and only now starting to understand how best to use her. Up through the middle is not that. A flanker, hunting/preventing opponent's scheme runners and scheme running herself is where she'd shine or as a secondary beater once Ama had engaged.

And another suggestion, with the Dark Bargain you may force the Anakame to take the bonus action twice, getting both Katashiros in turn 1 (consider also pushing first minako forward with Asami to gain a few inches if that fits in your activation order)

Yeah, Ama's Dark Bargain is really useful, though I think it can be a tough call when having to take the flicker.  Juggling Amanjaku's positioning and AP along with Asami's Reaching Tendrils positioning trick can be a bit of a pickle as well.  Also, I was just reminded that I could've summoned the Jorogumo within the 3" then used her Violation of Reality to get into position. Then either moved or attempted to pull the monk into position again.  It's nice to have the options. Still working out what works best. Thanks again for the suggestions.

• Like 1

That's great, try different things for sure. Yas is great to refill the hand, but not so much to cicle high ammount of cards imo.

I'd say try to use the Severes before cicling the hand if possible, check the %:

• if you cycle 21 cards (hand of 7, 3 times) you'll have around a 92.5% (get at least 1 RJ or a 13) 
  • Cycling 19 cards (2 hand of 6 plus initial hand of 7) you have around 89.7%.
  • Doing it with 17 cards (2 hands of 5 plus initial hand of 7) you'll have 86.2%.
  • 14 cards (2 hands of 7 cards; using dark bargain to get 2 scrap), 79.2%
  • 13 cards (Initial hand of 7 plus 6 cards) 76.3%

If your adversary didn't used any card, you may activate the emissary, use 2 severes to do his thing and then cheat the mask trigger to draw up to 6 cards; Minako may get down the hand to 5 and draw an extra card if the other player used none in the first turn (so you may summon the 2 Katashiros with 2 Severes and then draw a card)... it depends on the game but reducing the hand to 6 before redrawing isn't that bad; even using it just once you'll get the card around 4 out of 5 times.

Minako is a pain for the other player with  Karma and summons, another use is engagin her with a model with high damage reduction mechanic (lot of armor, shielded...); that model won't be that interested in even looking at her to not lose his precious damage reduction.

10 hours ago, Ogid said:

Minako is a pain for the other player with  Karma and summons, another use is engagin her with a model with high damage reduction mechanic (lot of armor, shielded...); that model won't be that interested in even looking at her to not lose his precious damage reduction.

Are you saying that the damage suffered cannot be reduced? Like with Armor, shielded, ss?

10 minutes ago, Forgotten said:

Are you saying that the damage suffered cannot be reduced? Like with Armor, shielded, ss?

The damage can be reduced. The trigger on minako is for irreducible damage on the attack if the target has the upgrade. 

one way through armour is lots of little bits of damage, and shielded reduces every time it's used so unless they have a huge stack you will probably use it all up. 

1 minute ago, Adran said:

The trigger on minako is for irreducible damage on the attack if the target has the upgrade. 

I'm not seeing it as irreducible damage, though I'd love for that to be true. Karmic Ties says "After this model suffers damage from an enemy model, enemy models with the Karmic Fate Upgrade Attached suffer an equal amount of damage." 

Nothing says irreducible, or am I misunderstanding something here? Thanks for the help :)

23 minutes ago, Forgotten said:

I'm not seeing it as irreducible damage, though I'd love for that to be true. Karmic Ties says "After this model suffers damage from an enemy model, enemy models with the Karmic Fate Upgrade Attached suffer an equal amount of damage." 

Nothing says irreducible, or am I misunderstanding something here? Thanks for the help :)

Haha, sorry I should had explained it better.

The damage from the ability (Karmic Ties) isn't irreducible, Armor or SS would work there for example. But she has a built-in trigger that make her deal irreductible damage with her attacks as long as the target has the upgrade (What Goes Around), and that's damage the other player cannot stop (maybe Hoffman, and only enabling Armor, not SS); with focused on her she may tear apart a model with that upgrade.

With focused to not having a negative for accuracy and a Severe to cheat damage versus a non H2W model, that's 5 guaranteed damage; let's say a severe and then a weak hit, 7 irreducible damage is a lot and  that could get you a Wanyudo right away. That's why she is such a pain: Attack her with a weakling? Free Wanyudo. Attack her with your Henchman/Leader? Enjoy having it severely wounded/killed.

Most of the time the best call is leaving her alone unless you know you can kill her fast (and being a SS user it's not that easy to be sure).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 9:30 PM, Forgotten said:

She then targets the Oni with Reaching Tendrils and gets the Coordinated Attack trigger twice from masks in hand as the Oni is pushed into engagement with Sue and Mad Dog

Please note this isn't how the coordinated attack trigger works. The free attack is on the target of reaching tendrils (she pushes the target into melee with another friendly model, who then attacks the model she pushed).

Edited by TheDefenestrator
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheDefenestrator said:

Please note this isn't how the coordinated attack trigger works. The free attack is on the target of reaching tendrils (she pushes the target into melee with another friendly model, who then attacks the model she pushed).

Yeah, saw that in later game when I looked at the card again and realized I goofed. Forgot to update my post. Thanks for pointing that out though!