Gatling Nino

Yore Huckleberry

This is probably well known, but it does occur to me that with his built in tome on his gun, Nino Ortega is a potent card cycling platform. At cost 7, he can receive the “A Por El” action from Perdita, Francisco, Santiago, and Papa Loco, Fire each time with 14” stat 5/+/Tome, and declare the trigger every activation to have another family member draw a card. Essentially, he’s a free figure for your A Por El ability, and you can start him in any number of advantageous positions. Feels potent for corner deployment especially, where their ability to move out may be terrain constricted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

This is probably well known, but it does occur to me that with his built in tome on his gun, Nino Ortega is a potent card cycling platform. At cost 7, he can receive the “A Por El” action from Perdita, Francisco, Santiago, and Papa Loco, Fire each time with 14” stat 5/+/Tome, and declare the trigger every activation to have another family member draw a card. Essentially, he’s a free figure for your A Por El ability, and you can start him in any number of advantageous positions. Feels potent for corner deployment especially, where their ability to move out may be terrain constricted.

They all need to stay within 6"of nino to use a por El.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

@4thstringer you can use abuela as a relay to Nino. A por el abuela to obey Nino to shoot something, then give the card or focus to the model that needs it (and has Los to Nino).

The +1 for all those out of activation shots doesn't exactly hurt either. You still need to hit to get the draw trigger.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Angelshard said:

@4thstringer you can use abuela as a relay to Nino. A por el abuela to obey Nino to shoot something, then give the card or focus to the model that needs it (and has Los to Nino).

I like this and hadn't thought of it, but it does put more card pressure on you, since her obey needs an 8+ to go off. People are right about needing to be within 6" of Nino, otherwise, of course. I think it's mostly just the notion that you can start him someplace where he has height or cover, and then advance the family towards him with a bunch of shots going off turn one. His 14" range plus the 6" requirement for A Por El plus the 10" movement of most of the models means you can start out threatening positions ~ 30" from your deployment zone, which is more than a little crazy.

I tried him in a game this afternoon against our local henchman running Von Schill: I put Expert Marksman on Nino so he could use the built in tome for armor piercing if I preferred, and I had pretty good luck with it. Ate my hand pretty quickly.

Also, question on the 6" aura for A Por El: how does it interact with height? Do you just need LoS and the horizontal distance, or do you try to take a hypotenuse, or is it base-to-base only? I love the idea of Nino in a tower taking potshots at everything.

7 minutes ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

Also, question on the 6" aura for A Por El: how does it interact with height? Do you just need LoS and the horizontal distance, or do you try to take a hypotenuse, or is it base-to-base only? I love the idea of Nino in a tower taking potshots at everything.

You use the 1-norm.

9 hours ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

in M3e every distances are calaculated horizontally! you add the building height to the distance minus the size of the target who is lower!

So example:

Nino is on top of a size 3 tower

Francisco is 6'' horizontally from Nino

you then add 3'' to the distance between them and substract Francisco's Size of 2.

So the 2 models are 7'' apart from each other and not in range for A Por El!

p.13 of the rulebook second paragraph of measuring! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

in M3e every distances are calaculated horizontally! you add the building height to the distance minus the size of the target who is lower!

So example:

Nino is on top of a size 3 tower

Francisco is 6'' horizontally from Nino

you then add 3'' to the distance between them and substract Francisco's Size of 2.

So the 2 models are 7'' apart from each other and not in range for A Por El!

p.13 of the rulebook second paragraph of measuring! ;) 

Thanks - this is super clear and the page number reference is very helpful if I need to explain it to my gaming group!

• Like 2