Early thoughts

bertmac

So got a few games under my belt all with Arcanists. Thoughts so far are that I really like the diversity the keyword system brings along

Arcanist wise I'd say there are definitely better keywords for different strats, thinking m&su for turf war, chimera for plant explosives so i expect to see good diversity of masters going forward.

Games so far do seem to be more cagey, beater style masters likely to stay away from the action when assasinate is in the pool as games tend to be tighter scoring with only 8 points each to fight for. Also seems the old play it like beatdown is less effective as crews have to concentrate on strats and schemes straight away rather than killing the opposition by turn 3 and scheming from there.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late replying. I am enjoying it, but in most every game I've played (minus a handful) I've had the opposite reaction. M3E strat/schemes seem to all go more toward combat focus from my opponents (which saddens me as I very much prefer scheming style of games and wanted to leave pure aggression behind with GW games). 

Strats -
Reckoning...obvious killing

Turf War...aggressively go at the opponent, get to their side or range attack them, and passively flip their markers to neutral then score your 3rd and 4th point in the corresponding turns. This is probably my biggest dislike of strats. If I take a scheme based crew (usually weaker minions) then my opponents can typically own them. If I go bigger fighters to play their game, then I'm REALLY not enjoying my game as I might as well go play 40K

Plant Explosives...similar to Turf. Go aggressive, kill them on their side fast...profit.

Cursed Idols...about 50/50 really, but if you can tear them down fast, then they really can't move much.

Schemes -

Not as bad overall of a feel to me as Strats insofar as combat focused, but they still defer to aggression. With only 2 points to now gain in game, I seem to face a lot of players who just go straight for the throat, then, once I'm dead or near dead, start dropping their scheme markers turn 4 and 5 to score in the last two turns when I'm unable to stop them. I can play that game as well, but again, it's not Malifaux to me, and not fun in the least.

I'm hoping GG2020 will mix things up a bit from this, but as of now, while I am enjoying the game, I can't see me sticking with it long term like I did M2E if things stay the same.

• Agree 2