It’s a Trap!

Yore Huckleberry

Would you rather hire three clockwork traps or two Trained Raptors into a Basse crew?

Neither is significant; both can gum up enemy movement a bit. Each hands out a decent debuff. Each is likely to stay up through exactly one minion attack.

Is flight 7 (= charge 14”) worth more or is armor 2 and the more reliable stagger?

There's a much better use for the Trained Raptor than the Slow trigger:  Self-replicating Corpse Marker removal through Circle Overhead.  For better or for worse, that "Discard a corpse marker in base contact with this model" "cost" gets resolved whether or not the duel fails, and whether or not the summon effect can succeed.

If the other crew is going to use Scrap or Corpse Markers, that might be the more important deciding factor.

I mean, a Mei Feng crew would probably just hunt the clockwork traps for sport.  👻

16 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Traps all day and night over raptors for me.

Raptors are a nice gimmick, traps are one of the best models for the points in guild.

I was wondering why I hadn't seen you here yet. But aren't there like two models at that stone cost though? :D

• Haha 1

Just now, 4thstringer said:

Keep in mind most tournaments are only going 3-4 rounds Max.  A speed bump can win you the game.

They can also create a defensive position for Basse: push two traps up and have him stand behind them and shoot; basically stops charges into him, and if they send a few models at the traps Basse can shotgun them. If they ignore the traps They have to worry about getting staggered or “you’re coming with me” trigger’d into a cluster for the big blasts.

One intriguing thought Is No Prisoners on a trap to give it the grenade ...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Starrius said:

So far only been to 1 m3e event my longest game was 1 hour 45.

Even in m2e I finished every single game I played in.

Damn, I thought I played fast.  

I have finished most of my games (though I've only played in one tournament).

My experience with trap spam is that they definitely carry their weight.  Making people bunch up makes sonnia and basse happy.  your mileage may vary of course.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Damn, I thought I played fast.  

I have finished most of my games (though I've only played in one tournament).

My experience with trap spam is that they definitely carry their weight.  Making people bunch up makes sonnia and basse happy.  your mileage may vary of course.

Maybe you need to swicth crews? I prefer glass cannons in tournaments for speed reasons. 

More on topic: I mourn the loss of self blasts. Sonnia would have loved raptors!!! If arcanists could place schemes anywhere on the board for most of m2e we should get to blast from them specifically to keep to the theme of everyone hating raptors. :D 

• Haha 3

I feel like Raptors are missing something to make them playable. There's some synergy with another model or something that they just don't have at the moment to make me want to put them in. I kind of wish Austringers had a deliver the message ability with them still, allowing them to interact through the raptor. That'd make them interesting.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

I feel like Raptors are missing something to make them playable. There's some synergy with another model or something that they just don't have at the moment to make me want to put them in. I kind of wish Austringers had a deliver the message ability with them still, allowing them to interact through the raptor. That'd make them interesting.

They needed to not be interesting to keep austringers from being too powerful.  Being able to get 2 raptors from 1 austringer pretty consistently, if they were anything but bad for their cost the Austringer would need serious adjustment.

Just now, Mrbedlam said:

which is another way of saying they aren't gonna see much play. The best use I've found for them is sniping important totems

Sure they will.  If they don't see in theme play, they are underpowered.  This isn't 2e where the volume of individual models meant that a model could be fine and still not see play.  

They might not see tournament play, but IMO they are a lot better for cost than the frontiersmen.

10 minutes ago, solkan said:

Guild's a terrible faction choice if you're planning on winning tournaments, anyway.

Disclaimer: :P

I'm gonna give it a shot at the GT. I don't feel 100% confident yet though as I don't have a lot of experience with Guild so I might end up defaulting back to Bayou for this one

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 10:56 AM, 4thstringer said:

They needed to not be interesting to keep austringers from being too powerful.  Being able to get 2 raptors from 1 austringer pretty consistently, if they were anything but bad for their cost the Austringer would need serious adjustment.

How do you get two raptors out of one austringer?