Crews for Beginners?

sullie00

I played M2E very heavily but I was busy getting married during the release of M3E and haven't spent any real time on the table. I have 3 stepsons and my wife that are all interested in getting into the game but IDK what crews are simple enough for them. None of them have any wargaming experience and they've seen me play a game or 2 or M2E but were all a little confused because the meta out here is super aggressive and fast paced. If anyone could give me some advice I'd appreciate it. I have most Guild models, 2/3's of Neverborn, a few Ressers and a budy has a bunch of models he's willing to sell on the cheap. My wife and I would love to do a crew for each of the boys as a Christmas gift but I really want the boys to have an easier crew to learn. Thanks for any advice you can give.

I wrote up an introduction series for new players which may be helpful:

As for particular crews, there are over 50 different crews I think, so it can be hard to narrow it down. Are there ones they particularly like? I find having crews people like makes them work harder to learn them, so that is more important than them being 'easy' to play.

Instead, I keep scenario design simple. Don't throw them into a full 50 stone game with a strategy and 5 schemes! Start with <20 stones and a strat and a scheme I reckon.

Concerning crews...

The models that are just three attack actions and a bonus when Charging are simple to explain, but they're still usually in crews that have "interesting" (a.k.a. complicated) interactions.

I know, for me, the issue for Obey was:

• If you're trying to use it, you need to know what the other crew can do, in addition to what your models can do.
  • If you're facing it, you have to deal with your own models taking actions you don't want them to.

... and there are various "copy the action on another model" actions that have similar issues with needing to know everything at once.  That's part of Pandora's issue.

As far as which crews are more complicated than others, Malifaux is basically a shenanigans-based game.  "I'm going to do this, this, and that, and now I win because you're dead."  Or "This model goes over here to do this.  That model goes over there to do that.  Now at the end of the turn, I score points and now I'm winning."  I think people end up loving or hating the game based on those shenanigans.  

I like Maniacal_cackle's "Introduction Series" as a way of slowing down how much of the complexity the players have to learn at once.  That's probably better than trying to avoid crews based on how complicated they seem.

Maybe more than looking for how easy/hard, i'd focus on the playstile and theme they like. An easy crew is very good for a demo where the player is not going to have much time to read the cards and familiarize with complicated interactions so you can say something like "This one shoot well, that other smash things close and personal, and those 2 run and put schemes, you are all set!". But if you want them engaged with the game I'd go with the crews/theme they are going to really like.

Use your own models to set up a few matches to teach them the basics and make them try some playstiles if they aren't sure what playstile they like (more close combat, gunlines, tough models, glass cannons, control, elusive crews, lot of buffs...).

Good luck!

I always push Mercenary (The Viktorias) as a starting crew.

They have good guns, they have good melee, and their special abilities involve more movement and healing which is easy to wrap your mind around.