Armor + Obey

Dr4mis

Hi guys hope you're doing well! 

I have some rule questions for you 🤓

1) Does armor reduce the damage from blast marker, blood poisoning, conditions,.... Me and my friend are confuse about that so. 

2) when taking the obey actions do the controlled model have to do the terrifying test throught the obey ( Am I clear?). I'm thinking that he is but need some precision.

3) If I summon a mindless zombie on a mindless zombie (due to abilities) the new mindless zombie is able to activate right? 

4) how to deal with Hinamastue with butterflie jump? I starting to think that she is op. 

Thanks in advance! 😃

This is better suited to the rules forum, but...

1. Armour reduces damage from anything (unless otherwise stated). However, it can't reduce damage below one. So if you take two poison damage, it'll reduce it to one. If you take one poison damage, it won't do anything.

2. If you obey a model to attack another model with terrifying, you EDIT: probably don't have to make the terrifying check. Obey is only against enemy models, so if you obey someone into attacking an ally, they don't make the check. If you obey one of your allies to attack an enemy, you still make the terrifying check.

2. If you use obey on a model with terrifying, you have to make a terrifying check before obey succeeds. Obey is an attack action (listed under the attack action section of a model's stat card).

3.  Mindless zombies have "Mindless", which means that when summoned, it is treated as having activated that turn (no matter what summoned it). So if a mindless zombie uses 'zombify' to summon another mindless zombie, the new zombie does not activate until next turn.

4. Himatsu with Butterfly Jump is apparently extremely good... But it's hard to answer without knowing your crew. However, you'll want stuff to pierce armour and do big hits. The model should go down pretty quick if you have stuff to ignore armour. Especially if you can do it with long enough range that you can do it twice in a row.

These things would be better asked at the rules forum:

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/forum/54-malifaux-rules-discussion/

1) Does armor reduce the damage from blast marker, blood poisoning, conditions,.... Me and my friend are confuse about that so. 

"Armor +X: Reduce all damage suffered by this model by +X".

Yes, it does reduce damage from blasts etc.. Anything that doesn't explicitly say it ignores armour or damage reduction gets reduced. Do note that nothing can reduce damage to 0 unless it mentions otherwise, so 1 damage will always go through armour. [ref: rules pdf page 24, 'Damage Reduction']

2) when taking the obey actions do the controlled model have to do the terrifying test throught the obey ( Am I clear?). I'm thinking that he is but need some precision.

"Terrifying (X): After an enemy model targets this model with an Attack Action, the enemy model must pass a TN X Wp duel or the Action fails".

Obey doesn't change who is considered friendly or enemy [ref: rules pdf page 26 'Friendly, Enemy & Control'). So long as a model is targeting a model it considers an enemy with an Attack Action, it's subject to terrifying tests.

3) If I summon a mindless zombie on a mindless zombie (due to abilities) the new mindless zombie is able to activate right?

No. Mindless Zombies have the 'Mindless' Ability which states:
"Mindless: When this model is Summoned, it is treated as having already Activated this Turn, and neither player gains or discards any Pass Tokens".

4) how to deal with Hinamastue with butterflie jump? I starting to think that she is op.

Hinamatsu is good. I Don't know if she's op or not, but definitely top model.

How to deal with any Butterfly Jump model: shoot it, focus attack (since you're only getting one melee at it usually), use models that can charge multiple times (Frenzied Charge is the ability I think), try to use models/terrain to block escape routes. And always keep in mind that VPs win games, not kills (though efficient kills do help).

For more in-depth help vs. Hinamatsu you might consider submitting a small battle report on the battle report or faction forum and asking for some points on how to improve your play. Odds are Hinamatsu isn't the sole thing keeping you down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just to add a little on Hinamatsu w. Inhuman Reflexes.  It is an amazing model, no doubt about that. But it is also 1/5th of the opposing crew, so she’d better be. Look at your own 11 Stone models, like the riders, and you’ll see something equally powerful.

What she’s got is : great speed and great endurance (arm+2 Henchman) and volume of attack.

What she is vulnerable to : Armor denying attacks, Execute trigger, WP attacks (Obey, Lure or conditions like stun, slow etc.). Reach 2” models. Analyze weakness.

What she struggles against : Terrifying neuters her attacks, Incorporeal drastically reduces her damage output. Armor demands that she has tomes in hand, and she is already hungry for resources. Cards for Flurry and cheats, Stones for damage and suits etc. Once those resources are spent, she is simply an easy to hit Df5 model.