Arcanists Reputation

TeaCrusader

So.. I'm basically new to the game as of 3e, and I haven't really been able to discover a local meta so I've been getting by playing with my housemates only.

However I've been skulking the forums, and I've started listening to some of the Third Floor Wars podcast... and I'm getting the impression that Arcanists don't have the best reputation in the community..?

I mostly wanted to ask about that.. I get the impression that SoulStone Miners and Steam Arachnid Swarms are a source of some of the animocity but.. well every faction has some stand out models from what i've seen... So I doubt that's the whole story...

Of course it could just be people being influenced by the fact that the host of third floor wars seems to bring up a personal dislike for Arcanists frequently..? I dunno. mostly I'm curious.

Each group usually has the most hated faction, often because the strongest local player plays that faction. 

I think the arcanist hate is a bit of an in joke for that podcast. Towards the end of m2e Sandeep was over the average curve in strength so some of that perception might persist but m3e hasn't really been out long enough for most players to even figure out the really sick combos. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hatters gonna hate! All factions are playable and the few unbalanced models and masters across all factions will get ajusted over time. Arcanist is in a good spot competitively right now, but that shouldn't be the reason to pick or not pick this faction.

Settle for the one that fits you. Arcanist has a lot of different playstiles and crews. If these appeal to you more than the ones in the other factions, that's a good reason to pick the faction.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ogid said:

Hatters gonna hate! All factions are playable and the few unbalanced models and masters across all factions will get ajusted over time. Arcanist is in a good spot competitively right now, but that shouldn't be the reason to pick or not pick this faction.

Settle for the one that fits you. Arcanist has a lot of different playstiles and crews. If these appeal to you more than the ones in the other factions, that's a good reason to pick the faction.

The best way to describe the Arcanists is, "They are the faction of cyborgs, mages, and cyborg mages." So if any of those appeal to you give em a shot

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh e I am well and truly an Arcanist player already and was well before I'd thought about any of this. Got mostly done Sandeep Kaeris and Mei crews and Colettes next on the pickup list.

I was just curious whether this was just an odd skewed perception that I'd picked up, not really being embroiled in any metas, or if it was a thing that was more known around the place.

Thanks for the replies guys! It does seem as though it's not really a thing, think id got the impression it was and that what there is of it is reasonably residual from 2nd ed.

I think this may come from Craig's from third floor wars hatred of them and that I think has just become more of a running joke than anything else at this point (even to the point of the current campaign to make him play with arcanists on a steam at some point) 

I've not heard of any wide spread hatred from else where. I don't think spider swarms or miners have helped arcanist reputations, but there are powerfully complained about models across most factions (archie, first mate, Shenlong etc) 

I think people on a individual level might dislike certain factions (I'm not a fan of guild because I've never liked the lawman acetic) but I've think it's more personal rather than a mass "urg so and so faction" 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Third Floor thing is a harmless joke.

Arcanists (and feel free to replace Arcs with a number of other factions) do have really good upgrades, really good versatiles and some really good masters. These are all a reason someone might (for right or wrong) cry foul, especially on the internet. Such cries should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

Which isn't to say some adjustments in a future errata wouldn't be welcome, for a number of factions, but I'll leave the speculation for others:)

• Like 3

There's a few things going on here in the background;

As one of Third Floor Wars resident Arcanists my view is this is mainly Craig having a laugh.

Arcanists posted strong early results which drew attention, partly because of the availability of our powerful M3e models to the player base, which was a bit ahead of the other factions.

We were the first faction to demonstrate that strong versatile models will be very common in M3e, as we now see in other factions.  Had Thunders got there first with Minako Rei and Yasunori, or Outcasts with Midnight Stalker and Prospectors, I'm not sure we'd be hearing as much about Swarms and Miners.  These models are genuinely above the power curve, although something always has to be, and prevalence in crew lists doesn't necessarily mean they're a problem at the game level. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, mythicFOX said:

There's a few things going on here in the background;

As one of Third Floor Wars resident Arcanists my view is this is mainly Craig having a laugh.

Yeah, I figured it was a joke, but for whatever reason it felt a little more earnest than that and I was kinda curious whether I was reading it wrong (Which yes. I think I am). I wonder whether that's because I've only just started listening and have started randomly just with random deep dives that interest me rather thn getting a proper feel for the show or the presenters. Although it's perfectly likely that my sense of humour doesn't quite align.

Good to know it is all begnign though! (Also great show, what episodes were you on?)

8 minutes ago, mythicFOX said:

Arcanists posted strong early results which drew attention, partly because of the availability of our powerful M3e models to the player base, which was a bit ahead of the other factions.

We were the first faction to demonstrate that strong versatile models will be very common in M3e, as we now see in other factions.  Had Thunders got there first with Minako Rei and Yasunori, or Outcasts with Midnight Stalker and Prospectors, I'm not sure we'd be hearing as much about Swarms and Miners.  These models are genuinely above the power curve, although something always has to be, and prevalence in crew lists doesn't necessarily mean they're a problem at the game level. 

You know.. the release schedule hadn't occurred to me.. but that's a really good point!

I’m in Craig’s meta. It’s 100% a joke. He got beat by a MK 2 Raspy player consistently when he first started and now it’s a running joke.

Craig on “tilt” is pretty funny and it gets played into, kind of like George Carlin ranting about toy soldiers. It is just the normal “stuff that I’m getting beat by right now is OP” whining we almost all do when we first play against things and not real OP yelling.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TeaCrusader said:

Yeah, I figured it was a joke, but for whatever reason it felt a little more earnest than that...

It’s a problem common to both Guild and Arcanists: they are factions less fantastical than plausible, so because they can inspire real-world levels of attachment to an organization they can also attract earnest real-world hatred of a real-world organization. (Thunders and Outcasts may also be human for the most part, but the lack of a faction organization is what I think stops their opposition from having such real-world weight mixed into it. All that ‘crime syndicate’ guff is tied to Misaki, not the faction as a whole, unlike having the M2e keyword M&SU scattered across a faction and a quarter.)

On 11/18/2019 at 12:48 PM, mythicFOX said:

Most recently I'm on the English GT Podium, the  Expert Round Table, and going back  a ways; Kaeris Deep Dive.

Oh man, that Kaeris deep dive was one of the first eps I listened to.. and since she was my first complete crew (danged Mei Feng's expanded models not being easy to get) so she's kinda ended up being my main crew now and your talk really helped me develop how I play her! So yeah thanks for that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2