Som'er and summoning

Lidiaz

Question

5 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, TheJoyInGaming said:

I would argue that it does need LOS as the Summoning Action must be read in the context of the broader rules. 

The default summoning rules are “in base contact and line of sight”.

Obviously you’re not going to try to argue that “within range” fails to override “in base contact”.

What do you think “anywhere” is there to do?

Edit:  Note that the phrase “anywhere within range” specified for a summoning effect appears to be unique to this action; and the phrase appears pretty commonly for place effects apparently to emphasize not needing line of sight.

Because there are summoning effects (like Kirai’s) which just say “within range” rather than “anywhere within range”.

• Agree 1

So I checked other summoners in different factions to see if the term “anywhere” actually broke the LOS rules as said above. Of the three I checked, Sandeep, Kirai, and Asami each have a range to their summon action and include the phrase “Summon the named models within range...” Since Somer includes the phrase “anywhere within range”, I would have to change my stance and agree with the posters above that LOS is not required. 

I would argue that it does need LOS as the Summoning Action must be read in the context of the broader rules. 

Taking the argument that “it doesn’t need LOS because the Action doesn’t specify that it does when the rulebook does specify that” to its logical conclusion means that Wyrd would need to issue a near gamewide errata soon to add some additional text to every action specifying that the actions do in fact count against the model’s Action Limit. 

Edit: I no longer agree with this reading of the rules, see other post below.

Edited by TheJoyInGaming