Jump to content

Time to git gud


ZedStrong

Recommended Posts

Hello all, 

Just a quick post because Im really in need of help! After being the main winner of wooden spoons in North West England I have had enough! Im just looking for help on improving at the game so im no longer tarnishing the reputation of our guys and gals in red! I really feel like I struggle to focu on the schemes a lot along with scheme selection, I dont know if the first part is simply my incompitence or just the state of guild currently aha! My main master is Hoffman but I am trying to learn Basse, Perdita and Dashel as well to try give me more of an edge in different pools! So I ask you now, what are the dirty tricks you guys use to get wins? whats good and whats not? and how on earth do I get my masters to work! Hoff is the only one Ive had any proper luck with so Im really eager to hear what you all think!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You must truly be desperate to come to us for help. 😂

I'd recommend focusing on one master except Hoffman, you need a lot of games to become familiar and git gud. 

I think Hoff is pretty versatile but he struggles vs wp heavy crews so maybe complement him with a crew that has decent willpower. I believe he has killing covered pretty well so maybe Lucius or Nellie for scheme and control nastiness? 

Edit: I guess if you run Hoff as an arcanist every now and then you could use soulstone miners with him (although I would never recommend such a treasonous path). 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ZedStrong said:

Hello all, 

Just a quick post because Im really in need of help! After being the main winner of wooden spoons in North West England I have had enough! Im just looking for help on improving at the game so im no longer tarnishing the reputation of our guys and gals in red! I really feel like I struggle to focu on the schemes a lot along with scheme selection, I dont know if the first part is simply my incompitence or just the state of guild currently aha! My main master is Hoffman but I am trying to learn Basse, Perdita and Dashel as well to try give me more of an edge in different pools! So I ask you now, what are the dirty tricks you guys use to get wins? whats good and whats not? and how on earth do I get my masters to work! Hoff is the only one Ive had any proper luck with so Im really eager to hear what you all think!

First of all, take it easy on yourself. Malifaux is a HARD game. Probably the most complex minis game out there. Don't worry about switching up Masters right now, Hoff is really good and has a lot of play. Set goals for yourself. Say: This game I'm gonna take these two schemes and the whole game I'm gonna work on scoring those. Don't worry about winning or about the strategy until you have those schemes locked down. Then next game look at 2 other schemes. After a while you can see what Hoff can do reasonably well and what he can't. Then hit those strategies up. Scoring the strategy points are absolutely essential in m3e and in a tourney setting you can't afford to not get your turn 2.  Play your turn 1 out, play it out without your opponent. Play it out with your opponent. Get a friend and just play the first 2 turns of games over and over for an afternoon until you feel reasonably comfortable with how you set up your crew and what you do turn 1 and turn 2. These turns are probably the most vital to the game and will help you understand what you have to do to get wins later on. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I ever make it to another NW tournament, I'll soon take the wooden spoon title from you, have no fear. I'm currently at a 100% (lack of) success rate!

 

My (extremely limited) advice would be to swap crews with your next practice opponent.  See how your crew looks when you're on the receiving end.  That way you can see the things your opponent does differently with them and that may give you an insight into what you can change.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haha just a bit 😂 Cheers dude, honestly torn between Basse and Dashel they both seem awesome and Ive tried them both out previously to various degrees of unsuccess.

Hoff is the bomb, absolutely love him but my main opponent is a Neerborn player so Ive really grown to fear everything wp related!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, theamazingmrg said:

If I ever make it to another NW tournament, I'll soon take the wooden spoon title from you, have no fear. I'm currently at a 100% (lack of) success rate!

 

My (extremely limited) advice would be to swap crews with your next practice opponent.  See how your crew looks when you're on the receiving end.  That way you can see the things your opponent does differently with them and that may give you an insight into what you can change.

 

 

Cheers mate! not a bad shout that haha playing against Perdita tomorrow so that should help!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure how familiar you are with everything. This may be old news to you:

One random piece of advice is that claim jump with a guardian is amazing. You might need to make it fast turn one to get up there (I usually toss a couple of models to apply pressure to the opponent). Go to within 2" of the center point and use scatter as your very last ap of the last activation in the turn and all enemies push three inches away without a resist. You need to know if they have abilities that can negate this though so knowledge of the enemy helps. The guardian is also pretty tanky and can get some heals while bashing skulls in so you have a shot at the second point. 

You know constructs can target themselves with transfer power as well? Always keep a power token on anything that wants to run schemes so they can get out of an engagement (or push close if the enemy locks you in melee without you reaching). 

Perdita does not like arcanist Hoffman with diesel engine on a couple of models. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

You know constructs can target themselves with transfer power as well? Always keep a power token on anything that wants to run schemes. I think a hunter has a big enough base to even place two markers in a turn like this? 

I didn't know that.  Admittedly, I have literally a single game under my belt with Hoffman, but that completely escaped me.  Definitely worth remembering!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, theamazingmrg said:

I didn't know that.  Admittedly, I have literally a single game under my belt with Hoffman, but that completely escaped me.  Definitely worth remembering!

An inch is 25,4 mm so I guess the two inch push + 50mm base is 8mm shy of clearing the 4" zone for another interact. 😭

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll go against the grain

 

Hoffman is good but if you are looking for tricks what you need first is to get the power token usage right.

 

Power transfer can be good for slowly positioning models into position.

 

Howard the duck with hisnexecute trigger forn1npower token late in the turn after their hand is depleted is full on scarey  and gs models that do ireduceible damage dont forget that hofman can make it so thier armour isnt ignored and increase their toughness.

 

As for second masters ( I dont do dual masters) I would say perdita while everyone keeps saying she isnt very good I maintain that her crew can be very efficient and can do a lot of work and their mechanics are very easy to get used to meaning you spend less time looking at the cards and more time thinking

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

I think Hoff is pretty versatile but he struggles vs wp heavy crews so maybe complement him with a crew that has decent willpower.

Armor also protects against most Wp based attacks, so what you actually have to worry about is conditions. Hoffmeister himself has condition removal, but you might also want to bring another model such as Guild Steward (or arcane effigy) against obviously condition heavy crews. Terrigying might be bit of a pain in the butt as well, but models with very high terrifying are kind of rare, and Hoffman's beaters don't have terrible Wp values and Wardens have ruthless.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Myyrä said:

Armor also protects against most Wp based attacks, so what you actually have to worry about is conditions. Hoffmeister himself has condition removal, but you might also want to bring another model such as Guild Steward (or arcane effigy) against obviously condition heavy crews. Terrigying might be bit of a pain in the butt as well, but models with very high terrifying are kind of rare, and Hoffman's beaters don't have terrible Wp values and Wardens have ruthless.

Its the obeys that give my hoff lists more trouble.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best advice I can give you is "Knowledge is power". Learn your crews inside out and learn every one of his tricks; and also know the other crews inside out and every one of their tricks. Learn also about the different mechanics and look for the best tools of your faction to deal with different kind of threats (armored foes, H2W foes, manipulatives, terrifying...). When you know what your crew can do and what the other crew can do; you can focus in the decisions that will win that game (and that will also let you play much faster)

You can reach that point thorught experience, playing a lot of games; or by using other resources; in the forums you have a lot of tactical guides, useful advices and battle reports, third floor wars have some good podcast; plus the App is very useful to check all the cards. Knowledge cannot substitute experience, but it'll help you improve much faster.

Also don't limit yourself to a particular keyword, learn how to play with your entire faction (little by little, one master at a time) and consider all the model in the faction when building a crew; some OOK picks could make some games much easier and some masters just won't perform that well versus some factions.

Good luck in your climb!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I REALLY love Nellie for Corrupted Idols and Plant Explosives. And Detonate Charges, Search the Ruins, Breakthrough, Deliver a Message, and avoiding Deliver a Message since you control opposing interacts. I think she's at the top of Guild complexity (maaaaaybe Lucius?), but I really like her. You can have two really good henchwomen for 17 stones in Phiona and Alison: drop a scheme marker near Phiona and she permanently gets an extra card on opposed duels ... plus you're setting up for Detonate Charges combo'ing with Nellie's Don't Mind Me. Field Reporters have a fun trick where if they're just going to double walk you can drop a scheme marker and free-pick it up to add an inch of movement, or walk-drop marker as the movement equivalent of a focus or fast the following round if you want to shoot up for a Cursed Idol interaction or an Outflank run or something.

Lone Marshal is a run-and-gun 14" stat 7 gun at 2/4/5 with crit strike and maim: even out-of-keyword at 9+1, I could see this in basically any crew. His bonus action is an 8" stagger with a built in disengage trigger ... or exorcism on a crow to auto-kill a summoned model.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, thanks all for the replies didnt expect so many haha. Thanks for the tips as wll, Hoff is by far my favourite guild master so all the extra tips are really appreciated. Taking him to the last big event being Abreach in the North IV at the endo of the month and Im soloing Hoff so it should be entertaining! Thanks again folks! :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been trying to play Hoffman and I'm really struggling.  I am only using Guild models right now and Melissa isn't out yet so that might be a part of my problem.  But my turns are so awkward.  Here's some of my problems:

When does Hoffman activate?  If I want to use power tokens then Hoffman should activate at beginning of the turn?  But he also doesn't want to be on the front line, so if he activates behind my constructs they block him from moving forward.  So he will probably Fast the guys in front.  But now the rest of my guys go and move forward (maybe too far forward cause they are fast).  The following turn because Hoffman stood in one spot he is no where near the other guys so his 6" Power Token handout is wasted.  If he activates at the end of the turn I have a similar problem that if I moved my guys forward they'll be out of the 6" bubble when they activate.  Plus he moves really slow and I got to get up close if I want to heal someone.

How do I use the Assistant successfully?  Should he sit next to Hoffman and magnet him forward then move forward himself?  He will get lost behind too, and I really want him healing a beater.

I AM supposed to be bubbling with Hoffman right? Right!?!

How do you deploy on the first turn generally and what is your turn order when moving forward?  I feel like I need to watch someone play him.

I just learned from this thread that constructs can target themselves for power transfer for a free 2" push.  So I should make sure I always have one token on them.  What is a good use for the tokens?  

This turned into a lot of questions... any advice would be much appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have experience with hoffman, but some quick tips:

5 hours ago, Lugonn said:

I am only using Guild models right now and Melissa isn't out yet so that might be a part of my problem.  But my turns are so awkward.

Even playing him from GUI, you can hire the Arcanists models with the same keyword; there are some models like Joss or Langston that are powerhouses there and some good support models too.

5 hours ago, Lugonn said:

When does Hoffman activate?  If I want to use power tokens then Hoffman should activate at beginning of the turn?  But he also doesn't want to be on the front line, so if he activates behind my constructs they block him from moving forward.  So he will probably Fast the guys in front.  But now the rest of my guys go and move forward (maybe too far forward cause they are fast).  The following turn because Hoffman stood in one spot he is no where near the other guys so his 6" Power Token handout is wasted.  If he activates at the end of the turn I have a similar problem that if I moved my guys forward they'll be out of the 6" bubble when they activate.  Plus he moves really slow and I got to get up close if I want to heal someone.

(,,,)

There is not quick recipe, it depends a lot of the pool and the adversary... could you talk with some seasoned player of your area and ask him for a few coaching matches? Try to check if there are battle reports or in posts with a breakdown about his keyword.

But some quick notes:

  • The first turn you'll want to use at least 1 of his AP walking unless other model may carry him forward (Ride with me, some pushes...)
  • The Welding Torch is a :meleeattack, you may charge and attack your own models so that ability may have a 5'' range (7'' using 1 power token)
  • Don't get too stressed about getting all the power tokens every turn; you need to get the job done (schemes, strategies) and those may need models getting away from him.
  • Try to have a plan in mind for each model when hiring the crew (these 2 will go to the center with hoffman, these 2 will try to scheme this and that...)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually go first or very early with Hoffman turn one so I can give everyone a power token after painstakingly deploying everyone with a sight line and within 6". He slaps fast on two things and the guardian. Move around some small stuff to unblock lanes and waste activations before throwing Hoffman and two unactivated constructs up the board. 

A six inch radius is a pretty massive bubble so turn two I usually get most models in the bubble and go early with Hoffman. If your hunters aren't doing some far flung scheme you can use the end of turn push to get back into the bubble for next turn. After that I usually don't have a lot of models in the bubble depending on what I need to do, sometimes you want to hold the center anyway so you have more of a bubble. 

Hoffman usually doesn't need to be behind anyone, he has armour +2, protected and can use soulstones. I have tossed him at people to give the guardian a ranged attack of sorts and set Hoffman up for doing some more damage on backfield models. His weak isn't all that but his severe equals LJ hitting a crit strike so a point of focus suits him well. 

The totem heals and moves whoever needs it, usually not Hoffman for me, after the toss he barely needs to move unless he is charging. You're likely to have a few models within walking distance. The heal is a zero so it hardly matters if you start within 3" or 13", just go to where you need to go. 

Power tokens usually get used for positives to suck the enemy hand out and hopefully cheat last. If it's a bigger model that needs a suit and I have already dedicated myself to cheating a card of the wrong suit from my hand for a guaranteed hit I will use power for the suit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information