Terracota Warriors

bedjy

Hi everyone,

I've already played one several time, but beside being a very bad scheme runner, it didn't do much in my games.

So the question is : have you played some with success ? What are the not-so-obvious synergy of this little lad ?

Let's find how OP it is !

Terracota has to be picked with a plan in mind because his mv and attack is terrible. He is useful only for Mold and Just Like You!

Mold needs a suit but it has no buit in suit; so if the idea is using him for high cost models, it's a priority to save high mask cards (a 13 for a 9SS model or a RJ for a 10SS model are the grediest), for this a crew with high card draw or things like the Emissary or Yasunori are needed. But it can be also used for low cost-high impact models like enforcer totems (Amanjaku, Chiyo, Forgeling, Luna, Soul Porter or Shang) or very good but cheapish models like Tannen, Tanukis or Kunoichis to name a few.

A curiosity, a terracota transforming himself into Chiaki is the only way to have at the same time her reliquary and her in the table, not sure if worth it tho.

Just Like You only target non-bonus tacticals, but the great thing is it may copy Master's actions. Asami's A mother's Love is an example of a great ability to copy, The Oyabun's Command is expensive to use (needs a 10) but it may target Misaki when is casted by the Terracota which may be potentialy quite good. With Shenlong it may cast transfer chi and can also copy Rebuild Corpus from Yan-Lo to name a few good abilities from masters. But some non-master may have some interesting abilities to use like Miasma (He would get 1 damage tho), stoic nod, come play at my table, the storm is coming, Healing Energy, A song of Night and Day, False Claim, Target Practice...

He isn't a model that will fit in every crew, but it's something to keep in mind.

• Thanks 2

I've used it a few times with Misaki. Misaki & Ototo have decent actions to copy. Torakage & Shang make for relatively decent models to Mold into at a low enough cost.

I'm not a fan, but it hasn't been unplayable crap I expected it to be. Very demanding on positioning and mid-high cards.

I used one in a couple games with my Mei Feng. Beacouse he is a construct it's always nice too at least have a scrap marker after his..... Echm... "Dissapierience" :) 

Mechanized Porkchop used as a "suicidal" pig is a good gateway for second apperience. 

Also "Vent steam" on 2 model can give a Little bonus when used wisely. 

16 minutes ago, frumpypigskin said:

Also, I'd argue he can't copy rebuild corpus because I think it names a model but you could argue the toss.

The wording make me doubt a bit, but I'd say rebuild corpus is a legal target. The player dosesn't have to name anything, nor the name of any model is printed in the card. The effect checks for the name of the upgrade but that doesn't seem to be "list a model by name"... but I'm 100% sure tho.

Well, in theory he might be nice backup for suicidal Wanyudo in McCabe crew - ride with me to speed him up (quite competitive place, beacuase of Samurai or Sidir who are also mv4 models) so after Mold of the other the new Wanyudo could charge the enemy right away and trample them, or go (also after ride with me, or just slowly double walking on some flank) into one flank or another going for right schemes or to counterscheme.

On 11/6/2019 at 4:32 AM, Ogid said:

The wording make me doubt a bit, but I'd say rebuild corpus is a legal target. The player dosesn't have to name anything, nor the name of any model is printed in the card. The effect checks for the name of the upgrade but that doesn't seem to be "list a model by name"... but I'm 100% sure tho.

Look at the phrasing "list a model by name", then look at the M2E FAQ explaining the difference between that phrase and what they meant:

Actions such as Just Like You! which copy other Actions which do not list a model by name may not take either sort of Action. Conditions which are part of an Action’s text are considered to be a part of the Action for this purpose, so it does not matter where the model is listed by name. In the case of Actions such as Re-animator, naming a model is a part of the Action, so it again breaks the “may not list a model by name” restriction.

Pretty much the only plausible conclusion is that if you have to reference the name of a model at some point in the action, it won't work.

Disclaimer:  I don't think M2E had a 'the name specified on the upgrade' situation at the time that that FAQ was written.

16 minutes ago, solkan said:

Pretty much the only plausible conclusion is that if you have to reference the name of a model at some point in the action, it won't work.

The "list a model by name" should be in the rulebook giving how important it is and how hard is to get straight. However I have still doubts with this case. What is forbiden is the summoning kind of action or action with the name of a model written. For example in Dreamer:

• The sumoning: "name any number of Nightmare minions..." 
  • Or the model reference: "Place a friendly Lord Chompy Bits into base contact with the target"

Compare it with this wording:

• "Replace the target with the model named in the title of the choosen Upgrade..."

It doesn't ask you to name a model, nor the name of the model is written in the card; but it does ask you to check the name of the model written in the upgrade... which is close enough to maybe be forbidden... but strictly speaking it doesn't "list a model by name".

But yeah, better wait for a FAQ.

• Agree 1

With Asami to get more use of A Mother's Love has been the plan, though his slow ass has caused me problems sometimes to get him into position. Deployment with him is KEY, badly placed he becomes a very shitty schemer. One game he was in good positioned and did a lot of work stripping Flicker, in another he barely did anything, though was in a decent position to secure a Turf War marker.

Like stated, they can have use, but you NEED a plan for them and mostly stick to it.

On 11/8/2019 at 6:43 PM, solkan said:

Look at the phrasing "list a model by name", then look at the M2E FAQ explaining the difference between that phrase and what they meant:

Disclaimer:  I don't think M2E had a 'the name specified on the upgrade' situation at the time that that FAQ was written.

I would say that M2E FAQ answer is pretty irrelevant, because the FAQ answer isn't actually based on any rules, so it's essentially an errata. The designers also obviously tried to limit copying summon actions by including the attaching upgrades clause and having most summon actions include upgrades, so even they didn't think naming a model is the same is having a model's name written in the action.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 5:58 PM, Ogid said:
  • "Replace the target with the model named in the title of the choosen Upgrade..."

It doesn't ask you to name a model,

To me, it's exactly what the action asks to you. If you have to name a model, or however you reference to the name of a model in any ways, that action cannot be taken.

On 11/6/2019 at 1:04 AM, Vendingo said:

I used one in a couple games with my Mei Feng. Beacouse he is a construct it's always nice too at least have a scrap marker after his..... Echm... "Dissapierience" :)

If you reference to the Terracotta Warrior to be killed, it's ok.

If you reference to the Terracotta Warrior using its "Mold of the Other" ability, than I think it doesn't work because replacing don't let you drop any marker.