Targeting shenanigans with Protected

Armour

Question

Just checking on how targeting works when multiple targeting-affecting effects can apply.  Under Resolving Actions, (page 23 of the digital rulebook as of 2019/11/05) Targeting is step 3.  Do all effects which might change or affect the targeting occur during this phase, or only on the initial target?

Are these examples correct?

Example 1:
Asami Tanaka is targeted by an attack from an enemy Guard Patrol, and uses Protected(Oni) to change the target to Ama No Zako who is within 2".
The attacking Guard Patrol now has to make a Terrifying(11) duel to successfully continue with the attack.
If successful, the Guard Patrol continues to step 4 against Ama No Zako.

Example 2:
Asami Tanaka is targeted by an attack from an enemy Guard Patrol, and uses Protected(Oni) to change the target to Amanjaku who is within 2"
Amanjaku has not activated this turn and is now being targeted by an attack.  The attack will suffer :-flipdue to manipulative.
The Guard Patrol continues to step 4 and suffers :-flipon the attack against Amanjaku.

Example 3:
Asami Tanaka is targeted by an attack from an enemy Guard Patrol, and uses Protected(Oni) to change the target to Amanjaku who is within 2"
A Samurai with the Silent Protector upgrade is within 2" of Amanjaku, and uses Take the Hit to become the target of the attack.
If successful, the Guard Patrol continues to step 4 and resolves his attack against the Samurai.

Bonus question:
Protected(X) specifies ignoring Range, LoS and targeting restrictions.  Cover/concealment should apply as normal?

4 answers to this question

Example 1: The only way this interaction made sense to me is, and this isn't directly supported or undermined by any rules that I can find, that Terrifying is treated as a targeting restriction on attacks. That is to say, it is ignored when you transfer the attack. Otherwise, Grave Spirit's Touch on Shieldbearers or Ashigaru gets kind of ridiculous if you have to pass both the Terrifying on the original model, as well as the new defender. Also it kind of makes sense: I didn't have to work up my courage to swing on the thing that surprisingly jumped in the way of my attack. 
Example 2: This works as you say. Modifying the duel with defensive abilities doesn't have a timing issue here.
Example 3: I guess this works. I'm not sure what hefty benefit there is to this anyway, but if you want to daisy-chain your incoming attack by discarding multiple cards, I can't see why you couldn't.
Bonus Question: Yes, cover and concealment apply as normal. This goes back to the modifying the duel principle in Example 2. This becomes mildly amusing with things like Bill Algren's Bodyguard aura, benefitting the Take the Hit model who jumped in the way to protect Bill in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Kharnage said:

Example 1: The only way this interaction made sense to me is, and this isn't directly supported or undermined by any rules that I can find, that Terrifying is treated as a targeting restriction on attacks. That is to say, it is ignored when you transfer the attack. Otherwise, Grave Spirit's Touch on Shieldbearers or Ashigaru gets kind of ridiculous if you have to pass both the Terrifying on the original model, as well as the new defender. Also it kind of makes sense: I didn't have to work up my courage to swing on the thing that surprisingly jumped in the way of my attack. 
Example 2: This works as you say. Modifying the duel with defensive abilities doesn't have a timing issue here.
Example 3: I guess this works. I'm not sure what hefty benefit there is to this anyway, but if you want to daisy-chain your incoming attack by discarding multiple cards, I can't see why you couldn't.
Bonus Question: Yes, cover and concealment apply as normal. This goes back to the modifying the duel principle in Example 2. This becomes mildly amusing with things like Bill Algren's Bodyguard aura, benefitting the Take the Hit model who jumped in the way to protect Bill in the first place. 

I think if you use Protected or Take the Hit you dont get the Terrifying from the first model, only the second. So if you target Yin and an Ashigaru takes the hit, no Terrifying duel, but if Marcus uses Protected to push the attack to a Cerberus, you now have a Terrifying duel

• Agree 2

On 11/5/2019 at 1:23 PM, Kharnage said:

Example 3: I guess this works. I'm not sure what hefty benefit there is to this anyway,

With take the hit you get to move into base contact with current target, so you could potentially chain hop your way away from a model. If the original model can do this, you can potentially get multiple models out of engagement to avoid future attacks or get somewhere you want to be. Very expensive with cards - but I guess if you had very low or other wise useless cards or very situational need 🤷‍♂️