A very aggressive Reckoning encounter crew building.

SunTsu

Let's say we have the following encounter:

-corner deployment

-Reckoning strategy

-schemes: dig their graves, assassinate, hold up their forces, deliver a message, claim jump

What master would you declare? And what list would you build?

I had no many games under my belt in m3e, and I somewhat struggle to find an optimal choice for encounters like these...

P.s.: let's consider no limits about models availability.

Short answer:

It's quite aggressive pool. First Thought comes Kaeris to dish out pyres and injured to prep models for graves/assasinate potentially you could try to controll center location with pyres and burning Fire Golem.

Second I thought of is Rasputina to bring to control game for claim jump in the middle and potentially hold up their forces with some gamins or cheap models, however for that maybe too squishy crew.

Long answer:

Kaeris:

So we have range dmg with good potential to stack up 1-2 injured on a model to have some solid duel advantage. Get those burning on your crew for those positive flips. If opponent have some resistance crew, those burnings, blasts, shockwaves can help to bypass those a bit.

Schemes:

• Claim jump
  • Assasinte (depending on enemy chosen master)
  • Deliver a message, possible with mobile characters like Carlos
  • Dig their graves if opponent doesn't have corpse token "eaters"

List:

Kaeris + Totem

Fire Golem (bashy tank to hold the center)

Carlos (to dish out the burnings to your crew like the totem)

Soulstone Miner (with magical training)

To consider:

Firebranded (for them heals)

Angelica Durand (long range scheme dropper)

Envy (for even more dmg, most probably overkill)

Borgmann, also a bit tanky, can soak up some dmg to hold the center, or disturb enemy lines close combat.

Rasputina:

Schemes:

• Claim jump (a bit harder to hold up with Ice Golem
  • Deliver a message, possible with mobile characters like Ice Dancer
  • Hold up their forces (gamins, maybe ice dancer)

List:

Rasp + totem

Ice Golem

2x Silent One (Pillars and heals)

Blessed of december (great mobility a can survive a bit)

Soulstone Miner (with magical training)

To consider:

Envy (range dmg)

Ice Dancer (squishy but mobile)

Ice Gamins (maybe too dangerous to take into reckoning)

My Goto for Reckoning is Ironsides. For this, Schemes I would consider are Dig their Graves, Assassinate and Claim Jump

Ironsides, Mouse, Amina, Fitzsimmons, Gunsmith, Season to Taste.

Defensive posturing Turn 1, From Turn two on just pull a model in and kill it. Let them come to you (they usually do), and kill everything that comes too close. If you expect a lot of shooting, take the Captain.

TLDR:  Kaeris.

Assuming no knowledge of the opponent, and a broadly average board.

Where crews come into conflict on the table is usually determined by the strategy, Reckoning isn't like that.   In Reckoning the advantage is usually to a player being attacked, as the attacker has to waste actions and threat potential moving in order to attack.  You tend to force a player to attack you in one of two ways:

1. Threatening to win by scoring schemes 'out of conflict', and therefore requiring them to try and disrupt you.
  2. Having a better ranged threat than they do.

Plan one is a reasonably poor prospect in this pool, so I think we need range. Which brings me round to Kaeris;

• Kaeris
  • Eternal Flame
  • Fire Golem* (10)
  • Hitting model of choice (10)*
  • Iggy (6)
  • Soulstone Miner (6)
  • Metal Gamin (5+1)
  • Silent One (6+1)
  • + Magical Training on a minion of choice (2)
  • Cache (3)

*Diesel Swarm / Captain / Borgmann / Arcane Emissary 

Some opponents may make swapping the Silent One for more proactive choices a better bet.

The Metal Gamin gives you a point of Dig, you can then advance toward the centre threatening Claim Jump (even if you don't have it).  Your opponent will have to come to you or be pinged off at range by Kaeris and the Silent One. 

• Like 1

My master selection is kind of limited but I like Hoffman for reckoning.

Tough crew with many choices for beaters. Hoffman has armour +2 and can bounce attacks to nearby constructs if they try to assassinate you. A guardian is great for claim jump since it can push anyone close to it 3" away without a resist and the engagement range makes you able to hit over friendlies which can sometimes protect you against beaters with less than 2 in melee reach. If they have a lot of range you take the diesel engine to provide concealment and extra movement, otherwise you might want arcane reservoir. 

The crew has a few options for healing so you can keep the guardian or Hoffman healthy. I'm not sure I could give a finished list, it would depend on the opposing master. You don't want to go too heavy on shooting against Tara, some crews will require models that ignore WP duels etc.

On 11/4/2019 at 12:34 PM, mythicFOX said:

TLDR:  Kaeris.

Assuming no knowledge of the opponent, and a broadly average board.

Where crews come into conflict on the table is usually determined by the strategy, Reckoning isn't like that.   In Reckoning the advantage is usually to a player being attacked, as the attacker has to waste actions and threat potential moving in order to attack.  You tend to force a player to attack you in one of two ways:

1. Threatening to win by scoring schemes 'out of conflict', and therefore requiring them to try and disrupt you.
  2. Having a better ranged threat than they do.

Plan one is a reasonably poor prospect in this pool, so I think we need range. Which brings me round to Kaeris;

• Kaeris
  • Eternal Flame
  • Fire Golem* (10)
  • Hitting model of choice (10)*
  • Iggy (6)
  • Soulstone Miner (6)
  • Metal Gamin (5+1)
  • Silent One (6+1)
  • + Magical Training on a minion of choice (2)
  • Cache (3)

*Diesel Swarm / Captain / Borgmann / Arcane Emissary 

Some opponents may make swapping the Silent One for more proactive choices a better bet.

The Metal Gamin gives you a point of Dig, you can then advance toward the centre threatening Claim Jump (even if you don't have it).  Your opponent will have to come to you or be pinged off at range by Kaeris and the Silent One. 

I miss that Carlos to have stack up burning on your models and turn them into positive flips.

What role is silent one playing here? Heal?

On 11/3/2019 at 2:31 PM, SunTsu said:

Let's say we have the following encounter:

-corner deployment

-Reckoning strategy

-schemes: dig their graves, assassinate, hold up their forces, deliver a message, claim jump

What master would you declare? And what list would you build?

I had no many games under my belt in m3e, and I somewhat struggle to find an optimal choice for encounters like these...

P.s.: let's consider no limits about models availability.

That encounter looks incredibly similar to a recent tournament that was hosted this past weekend...

Anyway, it really depends on what you're going into.  Arcanists don't have any one particular master that can be taken blind into all factions and perform well.  

Specifically lets say you're going into Neverborn (my faction).  First thoughts that come to mind is you're probably going up against either Pandora, Dreamer, or Nekima in that order (Pandora and Dreamer feed off WP duels which most arcanists struggle with, and Nekima brings the murder that that pool implies).  Colette gets a pretty even game vs Pandora but in Reckoning I don't know that she brings enough firepower, and that scheme pool is also very focused on getting into it with the enemy, which Colette is not great for either.  Hoffman's constructs will eat themselves alive with their poor WP, so I don't like that play either.  Marcus would be okay if the pool had search or breakthrough or outflank, but I've seen the beastmaster run into a pandora bubble and it is not a fun time for him (although she loves it~).  Ironsides is plenty killy for that encounter, but has issues into Pandora because of stunned being handed out constantly eating into her adrenaline markers, plus misery can pull the bubble apart since it's only a 3" bubble for a lot of things.  Sandeep has focused and shielding built into his kit, which Pandora would rip away for bonuses all day, although you might be able to overwhelm her with model count (although considering the strat I wouldn't go for this).  Rasputina has issues because Poltergeist will keep wiping out her ice pillars among other things. Mei Feng might be the best option, but again she is reliant on triggers which stunned can prevent, and this isn't a mobile encounter pool.

I won't try to build a list cause it probably won't be good for you, but specifically for this into that, Iwould probably try for something with Colette and bringing whatever you think could survive contact with the enemy for more than a turn.

Thanks all for your replies. I would like to expand a bit the reasoning, since it's interesting in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Nagi21 said:

Anyway, it really depends on what you're going into.  Arcanists don't have any one particular master that can be taken blind into all factions and perform well.

I had the same feeling about, that now in M3e it's much more important and central to take into consideration the opponent you're facing. That's a good thing for the game, but also makes the playing experience more complicated...

So I would like to discuss also about , in this particular scenario, if there is some specific particular advice about opponent's to take into account.

About the general discussion, so seems that there is a general consensus about Kaeris and, just slightly less, on something like Ironsides/Rasputina/Hoffman.

On first thoughts, I didn't consider Kaeris (essentially because I didn't tryed her yet). Otherwise I thought about Ironsides and Hoffman. About Rasputina, I have to say I tryed her a pair of times after the m3e had been released, and I'm very unhappy with the ice queen: maybe it's just that I didnt understand how to let her work, or don't fit my playstyle anymore, but I have a bad feeling about her, as she have became a very situational and underpowered master...

Coming back to the main argument, after your suggestions I thought to a pair of ideas about a list, and I would like your opinion in merit.

A list with Kaeris as leader, flanked by a core of M&SU models (Ironsides, The Captain and Amina, for example). The core idea is to presidiate the centerpoint with the raw power of Ironsides (that can be the Claim Jump model, or something else like Captain or a SSMiner) with his bubble around. So finally Kaeris could place some Pyre around the center, Captain provides concealment with Wind Walls and dmg reduction against shooting, Amina shut off charges and can support the crew while threatening the opponent with Obey that, coupled with the Ironside's Bring It should makes enough easy to lure a model near the centerpoint and kill it. A pair of SS Miner could be able to score Hold Up. The core idea is that this list gives no easy targets to score the strategy, while having the tools to score Reckoning, Claim Jump and Hold Up enough reliably. Also Assassinate is doable (but it depends on the opponent's list and how he would play the game), and at least the first VP from Deliver and Dig Their Graves. Some interesting models in this list could be Envy (if youcan speed up him a bit), Fire Golem, and Myranda (with SS Cache upgrade, from the second turn she can shapeshift into a SRM that's very though to kill).

Opinion? Any problem about this list I didn't noticed? A particular opponent that can destroy the plan? :)

A second option I thought is to bring Colette as a second master with Kaeris or as Leader with the Ironsides gang I spoke before. The idea is to bring a mobilemodels that can place opponent's models in a convenient position preventing the opponent from score, letting me score much more easily, and in general making the crew much more unpredictable.

Also here, opinions, problems or enemies that let this idea garbage???

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. ^_^