Good vs bad matchups for Viks

psychogeek

12 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

I forgot about Vanessa.... I'm not using her this edition as I just don't find her very useful.  Into The Tray is just not as useful as the Sisters healing ability was, and with tax I can get a Librarian, with armor, that does more damage, and Consolidate Power is more useful than I've Got Your Back.

But maybe I'm being short sighted;  is anyone else getting value out if Vanessa?  I loved her to death in 2nd, but I just find her wanting in 3rd.

She costs the same as the Librarian, and she's better in every aspect except maybe resilience. Since Mercenary it's a keyword that really likes to be into melee, I've Got your Back is usually more useful. Consolidate Power is only a minion, and usually the two minions are going to be Ronins doing the schemes, so it will be trivial.

The attacks are similar, but the librarian doesn't have engagement range, is way shorter, but it doesn't have :ToS-Range:. I guess that Vanessa needs to have a limitation, since she can shoot with stat 8 and draw a card.

The healing part, you can easy heal 2-3 turns with a 4 of any suit with Vanessa and still get the trigger.

Regarding the DM vs Ronins, you're forgetting that in many games, Ronins will be costing you the same as the DM due to their free action.

If Ronin were Minion (4) I would NEVER take any Despised Mercs, but they are not, and in some (obviously situational) Scheme pools, a cheap minion or two exactly fits the bill.  Just another part of the toolbox.

Vannesa is a needed part of this crew. Into the Fray is just bonus heals, her main support is to spam her heal action. Being centerline is another bonus, but thanks to being able to stack three cards off the deck at the start of her turn, means those heals are likely going off, even if she never gets close to the centerline.  Being a Merc is just another nice bonus.

I love Librarians, but Vannesa is my choice in a Vik's crew.

It seems like most points have been made in regards to what value, if any, Desperate Mercs add to the Mercenaries.

I will just add one last one I don't believe I have seen yet, and that is the fact that each Model hired in this Edition must take into account the possibility that you may be giving your opponent a Pass Token. Taking multiple DM's can end of giving your Opponent Initiative on a crucial Turn, which is especially bad in Idols.

1 hour ago, Jesy Blue said:

I forgot about Vanessa.... I'm not using her this edition as I just don't find her very useful.  Into The Tray is just not as useful as the Sisters healing ability was, and with tax I can get a Librarian, with armor, that does more damage, and Consolidate Power is more useful than I've Got Your Back.

But maybe I'm being short sighted;  is anyone else getting value out if Vanessa?  I loved her to death in 2nd, but I just find her wanting in 3rd.

Well, her Intuition is still very useful, unless you forget about it. And Surge provides card draw. Basically she's the Crew's Librarian.

1 hour ago, ShinChan said:

She costs the same as the Librarian, and she's better in every aspect except maybe resilience. Since Mercenary it's a keyword that really likes to be into melee, I've Got your Back is usually more useful. Consolidate Power is only a minion, and usually the two minions are going to be Ronins doing the schemes, so it will be trivial.

That's probably my problem, I don't embed my Mercenaries in melee, I just run and scheme.

For what *I* do, she's not useful enough....

57 minutes ago, explorator said:

If Ronin were Minion (4) I would NEVER take any Despised Mercs, but they are not, and in some (obviously situational) Scheme pools, a cheap minion or two exactly fits the bill.

If Desperate Mercenaries were 3 stones, I would take them!

5 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

That's probably my problem, I don't embed my Mercenaries in melee, I just run and scheme.

For what *I* do, she's not useful enough....

Well, the crew is rather mobile indeed, but it's not their specialty. I suggest trying Infamous for scheme and run.

9 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

She looks auto as she can get stat 8 attacks!