Initial Impression, Processing Revenants

SoulGambit

I decided to continue with the other keywords since people have found it to be helpful. I've also decided to start trying to format these things better so it's less of a slog to read. Let me know how you like the new look!

As before, although I have played Malifaux since 1e and have several casual games under my belt in 3e, I have never been in a 3e tournament and have not actually put Revenants on the table. Take all of the advice presented here with a grain of salt. This is me attempting to understand and process keywords within the faction and I just so happen to learn best by trying to articulate things to other people. I post this here in the hope that it is helpful to someone, and will foster discussion about Reva and her Crew. 

Please feel free to call me out for being wrong and presenting your own opinion. I have thick skin, and more perspectives on this master will be welcome.

Here it is!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's... quite a lot of text for an initial impression! 😂

My recommendation for writing style: Don't spell out every effect of all abilities in detail. It gets quite cumbersome to read after a few models. Details are good for important abilities and/or important parts of abilities. If that's not the case "weak melee attack" is imho sufficient instead of the exact stat line and all triggers. The cards are free, so anybody can look them up if they want to. Short example: "Defense: Df 2, Wp 2, Wd 2, immune to damage from Burning. They exist to die." This could be shortened to "Immune to Burning.They exist to die." and still give the reader what they need to know.

In general I like the defense/ offense/ mobility/ support sub-sections, just don't feel forced to fill each of them needlessly, if there's not much to say. The commentary sections are the juicy part imho!

Oh, Google Docs seems to have issues with displaying the graphics on mobile btw. Don't know if I'm the only one, but still wanted to mention it.

Now I understand what Shieldbearers are for, except catching attacks, I totally overlooked they can push friendlies. Might be worth it to mention those are two pushes, both in any direction, so it doesn't have to be a straight 6" line?

• Like 1

Great right up! very interesting to read! continue your good work!

Only small error I saw was for the Wanyudo! His burning path ability triggers after resolving the action which moved him! So even if you push through a model twice with his :melee and the :mask trigger, the enemy model will only do 1 burning path duel!

Also Wanyudo is a TT versatile model, not a dual faction versatile model. So only Reva can take him in Ressers!

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

Has the text for walking dead (candles and zombies) been changed? It says explicitly that a corpse marker isn't dropped on the mobile app.

I assume this means you can only generate two pure markers with no corpse markers now...

The trick is to attack the Corpse Candle, not use Cremation.

You get 1 Pyre from Funeral Pyre, 1 from Demise (Smoldering Heart), and a corpse marker that way

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/10/2020 at 1:10 PM, MrPieChee said:

Has the text for walking dead (candles and zombies) been changed? It says explicitly that a corpse marker isn't dropped on the mobile app.

I assume this means you can only generate two pyre markers with no corpse markers now...

Walking Dead has two different thoughts split into two sentences.

1) Other friendlies may use the model as a corpse marker for actions and abilities.

2) IF the action or ability that is using the mindless zombie/corpse candle as a corpse marker would remove the corpse marker THEN the model is killed and does not drop a corpse marker.

Which is why a Draugr whacking a corpse candle upside the head with an axe drops 2 pyres and a corpse marker (neither sentence) vs corpse candle using “light the way” to move a mindless zombie that is within 3” (sentence 1) vs Draugr using “cremation” which drops 2 pyres but no corpse (sentence 2).

Hopefully that explains the reasoning more clearly for future readers. If it ends up more confusing, I’ll delete.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WaciQ said:

Wouldn't cremation create three pyre markers from the corpse candle?

One from cremation itself, one from funeral pyre, one from smoldering heart. 

There's been lots of rules discussions, but basically the argument is that what kills the corpse candle is its own text, so you just get cremation + demise.