Why would I play Yan Lo in TT ?

bedjy

I was wondering what does TT brings to old Yan...

His keyword is quite complete and self sufficient, and the only thing it could need are corpses for Toshiro and Bone Ascendant. But that you can't find in TT.
So here comes the question in the title : 

Why would I play Yan Lo in TT ?

TT brings some excellent long range dps with Fuhatsu and the Samurais! Also a Samurai with Izamu's reliquary is very tanky with Armor +3!

TT Upgrades offer a different way of protecting your important models! Example Stealth is a good way to protect Yan Lo vs long range shooty crew!

Other than that Ancestor is a very complete and well rounded crew! The Main differences I see is Ressers offer more undead/corpse stuff and an easier way to split the soul with Chiaki while TT offer more long range threat! The 2 factions have good OOK/versatile beaters, good upgrades, healing, etc. So they are very close to one another for the Ancestor keyword.

The main reason to play him one faction or the other is what is your main faction! :P 

• Like 2

Basicaly what they said, both factions are good and Yan-Lo fits in both of them. I don't know if he is slightly better in one or in the other, but when you are commited to a faction that doesn't really matters; it's an option to consider in both.

In TT you have ranged options, tanukis, nice upgrades and things like Shenlong with reliquaries that could be nice to try.

About the corpses, in this thread we talked about a way to get corpses in TT for him; it'd force you into a double master, but the posiblity is there:

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/147341-gokudo/

Or pass on Toshiro and just use Minako Rei, at the end of the day you just want to summon crap, and be it Toshiro or Minako, who cares. We also have a much easier time feeding Minako (single Obsidian Oni to generate some scrap for her or go full ham and bring Misaki to set up a Shadow Markers to feed her while she uses the other to do her thing).

It is sad that Bone Ascendant is pretty much blank text for us and that Toshiro can't reliably summon, but Toshiro can be used as a minion enhancer. Samurai beefed up with Daimyo's gift means that you are giving them the focus you always want to give them plus either free attacks or more mobility and Leadership is always nice. Think of him as a mega Taniku that doesn't remove conditions, but always can give focus and conditionally can summon and can actually get into a scuffle. It does involve making a different type of list with Yan Lo though.

1. Because you've declared TT and Yan Lo is a strong master whatever faction he's in.

2. TT has, in my opinion, better Versatiles than Ressurs (Archie notwithstanding), and probably better general Upgrades for Yan's crew.

You lose out on Bone Ascendant and Toshiro synergy, but get more reliable independent operators like Ninja Samurai and the Emissary.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Fluffaluffacus said:

Idk for TT, but I know Rezzers Yan Lo enjoys bringing archie and giving him Manos' reliquary so that when he discards to come back to life, he also heals 1/2/3 because of fading brain freeze. In 10t, the upgrades are probably more pertinent to Yan Lo? 

I don't use as many Upgrades for Yan Lo crews. Trained Ninja and Silent Protector are quite defensively oriented and feel a bit redundant on most models (or just ineligible since Trained Ninja requires Living). I do like Silent Protector on Yan himself though. Hard to Kill on top of everything else he's got going for staying alive is pretty rage inducing:) I rarely use it, but stat 9 Challenge (base 6 + 3 from Fortify Spirit) is hilarious on paper. Incidental combo.

If you mean using Reliquaries on Yan Lo... sometimes I guess. Manos' has been useful in assassinate. Sometimes Izamu's is handy. But usually they go on other models.

6 hours ago, Fluffaluffacus said:

dk for TT, but I know Rezzers Yan Lo enjoys bringing archie and giving him Manos' reliquary so that when he discards to come back to life, he also heals 1/2/3 because of fading brain freeze. In 10t, the upgrades are probably more pertinent to Yan Lo? 

This is a good point. Archie cannot be buffed (or debuffed) with conditions, but he can be buffed with upgrades. And considering that (almost) the only counterplay he has is hitting him very hard when he comes too close, that has to be nightmarish to dealt with (I haven't had the pleasure yet).

However TT has some good OOK/versatile candidates for that Reliquary too: Shenlong, Yasunori, Minako or Wanyudo for example. And in TT there is also Silent Protector upgrade giving H2K which goes very well combined with Manos Reliquary; so I guess TT can also offer good Manos Reliquary holders.

Plus TT minions are more glassy than RES ones, there are more glass cannons that could benefice from that extra defense. A Kabuki Warrior for example with Manos Reliquary and Silent Protector becomes a very different model, and taking in count he has the Distracton aura and that Yan-Lo, Sun Quiang, Chiaki, Manos and Yin have attacks resisted by Wp, that could be a very good hire and something not avaliable in RES.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/1/2019 at 9:22 AM, Ogid said:

and taking in count he has the Distracton aura and that Yan-Lo, Sun Quiang, Chiaki, Manos and Yin have attacks resisted by Wp, that could be a very good hire and something not avaliable in RES.

Resser do have the Redchapel models which do the same thing...they're not very good though

• Agree 1