Fatemaster Friday - "I leant upon a coppice gate when Frost was spectre-grey"

Kimberly

Fantastic Friday Breachers!

The Malifaux Grand Tour continues this week as we chug along and the air grows colder around us. While you grab a blanket and a hot mug of cocoa, let’s see what @WDeseron said about the Northern Hills.

The machinations of December usually come up for me in this area. One of my Fated was “blessed” to start turning into a Wendigo. 

Ten Peaks in the farthest North anyone has mapped of Malifaux. What lies beyond the actual 12 mountains is a mystery to nearly everyone. While a harsh and frigid area, Ten Peaks isn’t without inhabitants of its own. Let’s bundle up, and make our way through the most remote area of Malifaux and those that live there.

The climate of Ten Peaks is harsh and unforgiving; snowfall is nearly constant, and very little vegetation exists outside of what’s found at the base of the mountains. This inhospitable region is not one that many choose to live, and as Fatemaster your group of Fated may balk at taking to the mountains in search of something or someone. Thankfully, there are enough intriguing elements to entice your players to make the perilous journey. 

A rare but frightening danger of Ten Peaks is the "Horde". The "Horde" are groups of nearly feral people who ransack settlements for supplies before disappearing into the heavy snow of Ten Peaks. They are ruthless and focused in their goal of pillaging supplies from settlements near the base of Ten Peaks. The Fated could help a town prepare and try to fend off these terrible raiders. If preparing for an invasion of raiders is not your group’s speed, perhaps they are asked to deliver an item to a member of the Windblown, a nomadic community known for their hunting prowess and strictly carnivore diet. 

While the population of the Ten Peaks is sparse, there are some settlements of note. Nearly all of the Cult of December reside somewhere in Ten Peaks. Rumors of cannibalism and sacrifices to the thing known as December are widespread. The Temple of December is a stronghold that houses only part of the large cult, and where many of their strange rites take place. The fearsome Wendigo are connected closely to this cult, and prefer the cold climate of the mountains. An eerie place known as The Grove may tempt the Fated who find it with its forest of ice trees and strangely alluring fruit. The secrets of The Grove are for you as Fatemaster to decide.

If you want to take your group of Fated on a chilly adventure, Ten Peaks is a wonderful mix of danger, mystery, and exploration to set an adventure in. In depth information can be found in Into the Steam, available on DriveThruRPG. 

Now that you’re sufficiently frostbitten from this leg of the Tour, why not warm yourself up by considering this week’s question: What do you think the truth of the fabled Soulstone Geode is? Victor Ramos desires it, and Rasputina is weary of it. In your campaign, what would you have it be? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hah - A timely post! On Sunday, I'm running a character through a "dream quest" to address his growing Wendigo curse. 

The Soulstone Geode is a trap, of course - what else could it be? 😉 Using its soul-trapping power to keep some unknown horror at bay, one the Tyrants themselves might fear... All waiting with aeons-old anticipation at being freed by one ill-advised axe-pick swing.

• Thanks 1

Of *course* the Soulstone Geode is a trap, but I'll go against my better judgement and suggest something different just for grins.

Instead of being a 'trap' in the way it's considered to trap some massively powerful entity within it's facets  or lure the foolish with promises of riches, perhaps the OG Neverborn harnessed it's massive soul-trapping powers to bind many souls to power the rituals needed to bind the Tyrants in the first place long ago. Perhaps the Savage and the Nephilhim carried out rituals to sacrifice their strongest warriors to empower the mighty workings. Perhaps a primordial god of old Malifaux was the only thing strong enough for such a spell. 

• Thanks 1

• Kimberly unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I have always had it in my head that there is a Leviathan beneath the ice that is old - impossibly old - from the primordial days of Malifaux. Trapped beneath the peaks eons ago by the Savage folk to prevent it devouring the world in its rampage. 

It is patient, wise, hungry, and angry. It is just waiting for someone to finally retrieve the Geode and unlock its prison so that it can once again ravage the land and eat its fill. 

• Like 1