Stitched Scrutiny Checks (Fated vs Fatemaster)

SuperSheep

On 10/18/2019 at 4:45 PM, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

It should be exactly the same as scrutiny with a living character

Okay. That doesn't clarify things greatly. Is Scrutiny used passively or is it only used actively? I.e. do people not know you're a stitched until they have reason to suspect like Illusions or Visage of Life?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 6:35 PM, oadrian said:

Okay. That doesn't clarify things greatly. Is Scrutiny used passively or is it only used actively? I.e. do people not know you're a stitched until they have reason to suspect like Illusions or Visage of Life?

Yeah, basically things like Stitched going about their day disguised as the living is based on the same premise as illusions--most people just aren't paying attention to the right things to notice.

I mean, heck, at this point in the war-game's plot line, Molly Squidpidge has been getting stories published in the Tattler using a rotating scheme of by-lines.  That's not because she's a master of disguise, it's because it's a combination of

• Perfume to cover up the odor
  • Conservative clothing and makeup to cover up any defects

and then there's characters like Emiline Bellerose.  If she's got perfume/etc., she's walking around with a TN14 vs. fellow Fatemaster characters Scrutiny checks.  Pulling a random NPC out of the beastiary, a Guild Reporter's Scrutiny is going to be 5(Minion)+2(Cunning)+2(Scrutiny)=9.  Without situational modifiers, the reporter won't be able to tell that Ms. Bellerose is among the living-challenged.

Scrutiny and Notice are weird, because a single skill duel is essentially the sort of quick examination that you'd be able to do incidentally if there was something that seemed unusual.  If you were doing a thorough examination, or trying to play private investigator on someone, that's the sort of thing you'd have to turn into a ongoing challenge.  But that's partially my bias because I feel about not telling people how many successes they need to find something that may or may not exist.

And if you're dealing with an undead character trying to hide the fact that they're undead, what you're more likely to deal with is:

• The Scrutiny TN would be vs. someone checking out the character
  • Most of the time, if the Scrutiny check goes poorly for the stitched, "That character is undead!" isn't going to be a person's first thought.  Instead, the scrutinizer is going to try to figure out what's going on, giving the stitched character the chance to respond.  So normally there's going to be a second duel, with Convince or Deceive vs. Scrutiny, but maybe using Intimidate or Bewitch on the scrutinizer...

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 11:49 PM, solkan said:

and then there's characters like Emiline Bellerose.  If she's got perfume/etc., she's walking around with a TN14 vs. fellow Fatemaster characters Scrutiny checks.  Pulling a random NPC out of the beastiary, a Guild Reporter's Scrutiny is going to be 5(Minion)+2(Cunning)+2(Scrutiny)=9.  Without situational modifiers, the reporter won't be able to tell that Ms. Bellerose is among the living-challenged.

I guess the follow-up question is that is there a flip for scrutiny. This implies that there isn't. So if you come across a master or anyone with a 12+ rank and a non-negative Scrutiny you're going to be found out. In our campaign we do work for the guild from time to time and we come across Master-level characters. The implication is that they would suspect something right away.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:49 PM, solkan said:

And if you're dealing with an undead character trying to hide the fact that they're undead, what you're more likely to deal with is:

• The Scrutiny TN would be vs. someone checking out the character
  • Most of the time, if the Scrutiny check goes poorly for the stitched, "That character is undead!" isn't going to be a person's first thought.  Instead, the scrutinizer is going to try to figure out what's going on, giving the stitched character the chance to respond.  So normally there's going to be a second duel, with Convince or Deceive vs. Scrutiny, but maybe using Intimidate or Bewitch on the scrutinizer...

This does give hope, except for the fact that successfully lying to a high-rank characters is also almost impossible. So I guess the end result is avoid the big bads of the universe.

54 minutes ago, oadrian said:

I guess the follow-up question is that is there a flip for scrutiny. This implies that there isn't. So if you come across a master or anyone with a 12+ rank and a non-negative Scrutiny you're going to be found out. In our campaign we do work for the guild from time to time and we come across Master-level characters. The implication is that they would suspect something right away.

If a Fated character is involved, there's a flip for scrutiny.  So the Fated probably have more of a chance than others to get away with things.

54 minutes ago, oadrian said:

This does give hope, except for the fact that successfully lying to a high-rank characters is also almost impossible. So I guess the end result is avoid the big bads of the universe.

I'll see your "successfully lying to a high-rank character is almost impossible" and raise you the entire Guild-related Malifaux story line.  Especially the parts involving Lucius or McMourning.  😤

I'm not sure how you got a Stitched into a campaign situation where you're dealing with the Guild, but I'd expect the mitigating factor for when you're starting out to really be:

This high rank character is a busy person.  You're a bunch of flunkies.  If you're boring and inconspicuous, and they have more important things on their mind than "What's up with flunky #3?", they aren't going to take the time for a Scrutiny check.

If something suspicious happens, then you'd probably be looking at:

• Spot vs. your evasion attempt to notice whatever suspicious thing happened.
  • Scrutiny vs. your evasion attempt

If you're fully clothed (or extra fully clothed, like the former The Judge used to go around like), and you're using perfume or strong scents, you're just going to be That Faceless Minion that Smells Like Horse----.  😎