Myranda, the huntress unleashed breakdown.

Ogid

Hi Wyrdos!

I’ve been checking the Arcanist models to help a friend with his Archanist list building and I’ve found a very cool playstyle that I think it’s worth to share. It’s a high risk high reward glass cannon playstyle that requires some finesse; but when well executed, it can be devastating (and very very cool!)… To be honest, I’m a bit jealous :P

Breakdown:
Myranda leader is the leader with the highest single target damage potential in the faction by far, at the cost of being also the squishiest offensive leader, also by far. The damage she can deal to a single target in a turn with a double activation is in higher than leaders like Lady Justice’s or both Viktorias. She can engage from 13’’ with minimal damage loss, and the double activation is very powerful to both alpha strike or hit and run. The following lists are built with the idea of enabling her and take this playstyle to the limit

In a nutshell: Myranda rampage through the enemy models in Sabertooth form (3 actions per activation because she is the leader). The Rider will give her 2 activations each turn from turn 2 (so 6 actions per turn). Effigy/Emissary, Miner(s) and other models support her with SS, extra attacks, healing/shielded, Adversary(X) and doing the scheme play. This strategy gravitates around Myranda and the Rider. Myranda is the key and the star of this team, but both must survive no matter what; every other model is disposable and can be traded or put in harm’s way if needed. The gimmick is stacking actions and giving some defensive tech to an already powerful model; an Attuned Sabertooth is fearsome with only 2APs, with this list an Attuned sabertooth with 6APs is played (so roughly a 3X “power multiplier” effect). That big offensive potential and mobility (6 AP, 2 leaps) will have to be used well to offset the underwhelming defensive stats. Note Myranda Sabertooth form counts as a minion, so she would need the Soulstone Cache upgrade (the advantage is she would benefice from the Empower aura)

Playstyle: This list try to force the other player into a lose-lose scenario; Myranda have the offensive potential to delete almost anyone (and is able to kill 2 or more low cost models in one activation) while her entire crew will go around scheming. If the enemy deathball, Myranda will have a harder time engaging; but they will be outschemed. However if they split, Myranda will murder them one by one. Thanks to the double activation, shield, SS to reduce damage, defensive mutations and so on, storming into a bubble is possible, but risky. As a good huntress, she will shine attacking isolated preys; but she can also be used to enter into a bubble to kill a high priority target and then run away. Even if the damage potential is huge, we should never forget she is still very squishy in Sabertooth form; timing the attacks and using well the mobility and healing is key.

Mutation Upgrades: In the first turn she attaches the upgrade “Feathered Wings”, in turn 2 she will turn into a Sabertooth and then the carnage begins. “Natural Camouflage” or “Armored Plates” are also possible options but I think “Feathered Wings” will be the best choice in most games; “Serrated Teeth and Claws” is too greedy and “Formidable Horns” is greedy and redundant. “Armored Plates” could be needed versus teams or models that may kill her even with Butterfly Jump (ludicruous beaters with Frenzied Charge or Gunlines with a lot of Focused for example), the great thing about Armored Plates is that with her 2 activations, she could Gain Shielded+2 at the start of a turn and still have a second activation later. “Natural Camouflage” could be the right call versus Gunlines that like to scatter or versus Obey crews.

The damage potential is HUGE. Stonning/Cheating for Onslaught each attack she can do a whopping 18-21 damage per activation only doing minimum damage in each attack (so 36-42 damage per turn in the Christmasland scenario where she does minimal damage in each attack); in the turn 3 she could have killed the entire enemy team by herself. She will also get the Empower bonus in 1 out of 2 attacks thanks to the upgrade (which would also limit the effect of Distracted, Manipulative, Serene Countereance and the like). With each kill she will get a SS back and each turn the miners will get more SS to keep her rampage going.

Healing: Even hitting so hard, she has good self-sustain; Shapechange (Myranda) for 2 Wds and then “Beast Shape” cheating for Mend Self for a heal of 1/2/3; and she can do that twice per turn if needed giving leap up (however the two replacement will let her “move” 3.2’’; which can be used to engage/disengage freely). An average of 4 healing per activation or 8 per turn. With that healing, the defensive mutation and the SS to reduce the dangerous hits, she should have little problems staying alive if she uses the mobility to stay out of the way of the more dangerous enemy beaters.

Soulstones are the hearth of this playstyle. It’s important to balance the offensive and defensive use well; and save a few to get the tomes (and cards!) for the Revelation trigger each turn.

Pools: I think this list would work well in every Strategy… maybe the riskier one is Reckoning because there will be less squishy targets to kill and recharge SS, and more good beaters/buffs able to threat her. About the Schemes: I’d favor this list in pools that rewards splitting instead of deatballing (Breakthrough, outflank, power ritual, search the ruins, maybe Harness…). Myranda can complete easily on her own Assassinate and Dig their graves, she could do maybe and detonate charges and Deliver a Message (she would be also messaged, but poor of the model that spend his activation messaging her), but I’d favor the aggressive ones for her. A red line could be Harness plus claim jump that may promote a strong bubble crew storming the middle of the board; this list can still the played there, but jumping into a deathball require a lot of finesse.

Threats for this playstyle: Even if the potential is very high, there are some things to watch out, crews with a lot of the following will make her hunt much more challenging: Damage reduction (Armor+2 or higher; a December Acolyte will be needed versus these), Butterfly Jump, Terrifying, Irreducible damage, Stunned, Vengeance, Black Blood, Academic Superiority... However she still has 2 Activations per turn, healing, 7 movement, Flight and BJW; so the tools to out play these crews are there.

Lists:

35 SS version

• Myranda (SSCache), Arcane Effigy, Mechanical Rider (SScache), Soulstone Miner, 1 last 6 SS model (Paul Crockett or another Soulstone Miner) + 7 SS cache
  • (Emissary version) Myranda (SSCache), Arcane Effigy (EoFate), Mechanical Rider (SScache), Soulstone Miner (MTraining) + 9 SS cache

SS miner. They have to generate 1 SS each turn and bury to reach a place to score, the one with the upgrade need to stay a bit safer. The SS generation is important for this crew, but another way to use them is to cover Myranda; in turn 2 unbury them engaging the more threatening model(s) for Myranda to force that model to waste APs reaching Myranda / cannot charge her.

Mechanical Rider: Her role is scheming, feed Myranda the second activation each turn and staying alive. In turn 2 and 3 she will have 3 fate tokens, to reach the trigger in these a stonning plus cheating is needed. In turns 4 and 5 just by cheating or stonning the 5 tomes can be reached. The fate tokens are booked for Myranda, so she can’t use any for damage reduction, being conservative with the rider is important.

The Effigy: Very useful totem. It can be put in scheming duty or make him follow and protect Myranda/Debuff enemies if there are conditions that could hinder her. In turn 3 he will turn into the Emissary in the alternative version, in this case use him to scheme or attack some model separated from the pack with the help of the Rider. I usually include the upgrade in the Henchman leaded lists, but this one is intended to peak at turn 2/3 so the upgrade isn’t that needed.

Paul Crockett: He will punish enemy models for attacking Myranda. Butterfly Jump will let Myranda reposition after each enemy attack. She may jump into engagement range of an activated model and away from the active enemy model. Paul then may attack that model to trigger extra attacks (in the best case scenario, he can trigger 6 extra Myranda attacks)

50 SS version

• Myranda (SSCache), Arcane Effigy, Mechanical Rider (SScache), Soulstone Miner (MTraining), Soulstone Miner, Paul Crockett, Ferdinand /Sabertooth + 7 SS cache.
  • (Emissary version) Myranda (SSCache), Arcane Effigy (EoFate), Mechanical Rider (SScache), Soulstone Miner (MTraining), Soulstone Miner, Ferdinand/Sabertooth (MTraining) + 9 SS cache.

Ferdinand Vogel: Very useful model in human and beast form. Human: Shielded+2 plus an extra heal from 8’’ is very useful, especially for Myranda as it makes her a bit less squishy. His spell deals good damage and has nice triggers. This is situational, but Fancy Cane cheating a low mask (attacking Myranda) could let her perform an extra attack (but without triggers) or reposition at the cost of 1 Wd and 1 shielded. Beast: has a nice 2’’ engagement range to keep enemies busy while Myranda does her thing, the roar may inflict the Adversary condition to help with Myranda Accuracy. On top of that he can also heal with the Shapechange, Impassioned Defense trigger (and Myranda can also heal him when he is in beast form if needed).

Sabertooth Cerberus: A possible Ferdinand alternative; less versatile and squishy, but able to stalk prey from a mile away; marking 2 models to be teared apart later by Myranda.

These models are my personal choices, but they can be adapted to fit other models if needed (Vogel and Crockett are the 2 that I’d swap out) like Saboteurs, Steam Arachnid Swarm/Joss with Diesel Engine, 2 Silent ones, a December Acolyte… take in count that without mutation upgrades, this list is better with OOK or Versatile picks than with the other beasts.

I hope you find it interesting; if you give this a whirl, let me know it goes! :)

Good Hunting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like a very interesting idea. 
Can be countered, but still.
What about Blessed of December? I see how it can be worse than the Cerberus in some aspects, but Critical Strike and Pouncing Strike may come useful. 
Have not played Marcus or his crew in third yet, but going to soon, so this was helpful and interesting indeed 

• Like 1

Glad you like it :)

4 hours ago, KuronoGray said:

What about Blessed of December? I see how it can be worse than the Cerberus in some aspects, but Critical Strike and Pouncing Strike may come useful. 

Good suggestion! I considered the Blessed, and it can be a good plan B for some games where you need to trade endurance for stopping power (H2W and 6/5 stats), if you need focused attacks instead of spamming them (max damage 6) or if you find your cache running very low (3 useful triggers, less need to use SS attacking and reducing damage).

However for me the cat is the best choice for several reasons:

• Min damage 3; this is huge because Myranda will spam attacks, most of them will deal minimal damage. Also the attacks triggered by Paul will get a :-flipto the damage flip, getting again minimal damage in most cases.
  • Minion vs Enforcer: Myranda will expend a lot of SS with this strategy, the empower aura will give her a lot of free :+flipto the duel when stonning for the onslaught suit; that is something the Blessed loses.
  • Higher threat: A sabertooth is more dangerous and a bit faster than the Blessed. It will put more pressure in the other player

I'd start with the sabertooth, but the Blessed is something to keep in mind for the right game or scenario.

4 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Could get dodgy if they can do irreducable damage and picked a bit sturdier scheme runners but sounds like a fun idea.

Agree, that glass cannon style is very fun and rewarding even if a bit risky.

The irreductible damage could make the game much harder, but I think there are few scheme runner able to survive her.

For example in the turn 2: using 1 AP for movement, failing half of the attacks, not getting the leap trigger attack and doing minimal damage in the rest of them; she can kill a Rider that uses all of his fate tokens as armor.

• Like 1

I'm having trouble not picking all the big models so my scheme runners are stuff like hunters with armour +2. I believe that she'll be chomping on a lot of models, especially in puny naked crews like you said. The real question is if you'll manage to eat them all in time and also get your own points. Death star units do tend to dominate games and eating all their stuff is usually a pretty good idea in my experience. I might give this a try myself! 

3 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I'm having trouble not picking all the big models so my scheme runners are stuff like hunters with armour +2. I believe that she'll be chomping on a lot of models, especially in puny naked crews like you said.

Versus unarmored crews she will be a beast, but the Hunter is a good example of the type of model she'll struggle against. If a December Acolyte is included, then it's an easy kill; if not the Blessed as @KuronoGray sugested is a good option (2 Focused attacks), or just spamming attacks versus him if it's away from other models that could support him or threaten her; hitting every attack (with min damage) in one activation he'll be toasted, in 2 activations it's 100% a kill.

The real question is if you'll manage to eat them all in time and also get your own points.

That's one of the best thing of this list, Myranda, Crocket and maybe Vogel are the ones pressuring the other player; every other model can be in scheme duty and the rider will be scheming just giving her the double activation; the scheme/strategy part should be covered no problem. And some models can be changed for things like Saboteurs if some extra denial is needed without altering too much how this works.

Death star units do tend to dominate games and eating all their stuff is usually a pretty good idea in my experience. I might give this a try myself! 

That would be great! We'll give this a whirl in a few weeks probably; but we are starting so I'd love to hear how this works in more mature metas.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, out4egos said:

How do you double activate?

Using the Revelation trigger (Mechanical Rider). For example, in turn 2 the rider will have 3 fate tokens (1 from turn 1 and 2 from turn 2). It'll need to stone to get 1 :tome and flip/cheat a 6:tome to get the five tomes needed (that's the reason of the SS cache in the Rider, to get the double activation from turn 2 instead of from turn 3)

Mind revelation trigger says "non-master" not "non-leader" and the target doesn't need to be in the :new-Pulse:6''. The rider may give her the double activation from any point of the board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, out4egos said:

Nm revelation I see it... wow... what about cojo for support.  Ir vogul to help.  But Paul would be a must for that extra attack

For me the core of this list is Myranda, Rider, 1-2 miners and at least 7 or 8 cache, the rest of the models can be swaped in and out depending on the other crew; but yeah Paul seems to fit really well. I wouldn't include more beasts tho, they need Mutation upgrades to perform well, the versatiles or even some OOK are a bit better imo. The only exception is a second sabertooth, but just for spamming Adversary from a mile away (and as a scheme runner).

Cojo for example has 0 defensive tech and is a bit slow, he relies a lot on the mutations and the support of other models that cannot be included/used for that in this crew, the toss is nice but it's not enough. For a supportish model aroud 10 SS I'd pick Vogel or Amina Naidu instead (and those 2 may also reposition her). Vogel feels the lack of mutations, but he may support Myranda at least and is very versatile (plus I like the double shapeshifter theme). A Silent one may be also a nice supportish pick (heals and slow from a mile plus it creates terrain to retreat with Myranda to break LoS or gain Cover)

2 hours ago, hemgath said:

Do you ever test to take Marcus as a secondary master ? For put all mutation on myranda and then maybe transform her in others beast like SRM ? ( very interesting with is 2':ToS-Melee: )

If you're hiring Myranda as a leader you can't hire a secondary master

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, out4egos said:

One thing about being a blessed she can gobble up corpse markers for health and the Mec Riders going to throw those down every turn

I think the rider is better in scheme duty as far as the enemy beaters as posible; the rider is crucial to give her a second activation and without using fate tokens to keep it alive, that model can be easily pressured (it shouldn't be close enough to drop the corpse). Also the problem of using grim feast is that uses the bonus action; it's less resource intensive than using the shapechange + Beast Shape(Mend Self) but Myranda can already heal quite well without it and she can't use Beast Shape and Grim fest in the same activation.

8 hours ago, out4egos said:

Have you thought about using her as a blessed December who also has Onslaught and then taking two sabers so if one of them goes down you can shift to one of those instead. 

The blessed is an option in some scenarios (models able to kill the saber, heavily armored targets or when running low in SS), but the cat is the best model for this strategy imo (check the third answer of this thread to see a more detailed reasoning).

The 2 Sabers is a very good strategy with Marcus, but Myranda cannot give them the upgrades they need, and also the 2 SS cache upgrades must be in Myranda and the Rider for this list to work well... I don't think they'd work that well in this crew (the only advantage is Myranda could heal them, but they can be killed in 1 activation and I want Myranda attacking most of the time, not supporting).

For having secondary beaters/schemers I'd probably pick a Steam Arachnid Swarm/Joss with the Diesel Engine + a Mobile Toolkit or 2 Swarms without upgrades if I can find the SS to fit them (Or Swarm + Mecharachnid to save 2SS).

2 hours ago, hemgath said:

Do you ever test to take Marcus as a secondary master ? For put all mutation on myranda and then maybe transform her in others beast like SRM ? ( very interesting with is 2':ToS-Melee: )

Unfortunately, a Master cannot be hired in a Henchman leaded crew. (Edit: Ninjed by Adran.)

The SRM is a great beast, but it'd need the Horns upgrade for the onslaught, at least 1 defensive mutation and the grit active to be really dangerous (Amina or Toni); that's another one that would work better in a Marcus crew imo.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, out4egos said:

See I was thinking the rider had to be closed so that Miranda could use acomplice on him right after she activates and then use the mech Rider and then immediately activate Miranda again

Interesting suggestion... I didn't come up with that one. It's something to keep in mind for very niche situations (like an unactivated model that cannot be killed in one activation engaged with the rider while she is near or to heal the beast within from 1 to full Wds and then activate it); but it wasn't the idea of this crew. As said above the rider is a huge part of this strategy, it will only have 2 AP and will expend every fate token in Myranda; so it'd be vulnerable. If it wanders too close of the action, a wise oponent will try to kill it or force the Myranda player to waste SS there. The rider can be sent to deal with some weakling in a flank, but I wouldn't risk it puting it near of good enemy beaters or the enemy master.

To do that acomplice trick Myranda needs to be in non-beast form at the end of the activation (and she can only shapechange at the start of the activation); so she would need to expend her entire first activation of the turn in non-beast form. In non-beast form she is a good support, but in this crew there isn't good beast to support and she deals low damage in that form (approximately 6 damage+Poison+3 vs 18-21 damage if every attack deals weak damage and the onslaught triggers are stoned/cheated).

With Butterfly jump, SS to reduce damage and good positioning, she should survive one or two activations easily. That's the key of this crew; a strategy relying in a high mobile glass cannon can only work if the player know how the enemy crew may threaten Myranda to use the superior mobility and even trade models to keep her safe while she slaughters everything and the rest of the crew scores. A misstep and you'll have a dead leader.

To make it more clear, the standard Myranda activation (she may perform 2 like these) would look like this (starting in Sabetooth/Blessed form):

Bonus Action/Start of the activation: If she needs healing, then shapechange and flip/cheat Beast Shape (Mend Self) for 3 to 5 healing and move around 3.2'' thanks to the double replace. She Beast Shape into Sabertooth again unless for some reason she needs other form (Blessed if she is very low in stones, needs the H2W+df6 or needs to break high armor; or the Scorpius versus something like McMurder with 8 Wds and 9 Posion for example). If she doesn't need healing then she doesn't shapechange and can use the jump instead as needed during the turn (to reposition or to trigger an extra attack)

Actions: She expend her 3 actions dealing as much damage as posible, using SS liberaly to get onslaught triggers and take advantage of the Empower aura. Each kill will return SS (so each kill should cost no SS or 1SS). If she may kill more than 1 model, then it's important to charge into engagement range of those models or use the Jump to not waste AP moving. Some high priority target could have been targeted with Adversary (Sabertooth or Beast) thanks to other Sabertooth or The Beast Within to make it easier.

She may save her last AP for reposition behind cover/out of LoS or at least away from models that may threaten her (With only 1 AP she may move 7 thanks to the upgrade, a bit less than 15'' if she may also leap). This is probably the right call during her first activation of the turn 3, 4 and 5. Very situational: If she shapechanges that turn and the Beast Within is keeping some models busy near, she may use 1-2 AP to heal it before using Beast Shape.

End of the turn: Whatever she does, she should end the activation in a non-vulnerable position: Not engaged with unactivated dangerous mele models to maximice the defensive use of Butterfly jump. If she ends the turn engaged with something nasty that can still be activated, that model will attack her (she will BJW away) and then charge. If she isn't engaged that model will only be able to use his powerful mele abilities once unless it has also movement abilities (in that case she may rely in SS to stay alive if that model has a good damage track and Focused, which is an scenario to avoid considering her mobility); careful with Masters as they can charge, move and attack.

Same case with gunlines, versus these saving AP to retreat into Cover/break LoS (or using the camouflage upgrade instead of the flight) is needed; if the map is too open this list might not be the right one; but if this is still played, then 1 or 2 Silent Ones to create Pilars for her to retreat may be the right call (2 pilars next to each other should provide a good safe haven to retreat).

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 5:09 PM, Ogid said:

Unfortunately, a Master cannot be hired in a Henchman leaded crew. (Edit: Ninjed by Adran.)

Oki ^^ miss this rules

But

... if i m right you can apply this " reactivate strategy" with a second leader ( because he s not a master )

For exemple, sandeep master and raspy as a second leader... with a rider + ss cache... for you can reactivate raspy untill turn 2 ?

1 hour ago, hemgath said:

... if i m right you can apply this " reactivate strategy" with a second leader ( because he s not a master )

For exemple, sandeep master and raspy as a second leader... with a rider + ss cache... for you can reactivate raspy untill turn 2 ?

I'm sorry but that's not legal. The revelation trigger has "non-master" as a condition, She doesn't stop being a master for not being the leader.

That's why this combo is so good with Henchman leaders, they get 3 AP per activation (for being the leader) and are a legal target of that ability; getting 2 free extra AP.

There are other ways to pull this off without needing a Henchman leader, a Duet would be able to do again the split/join shenanigan for also another 2 free AP or models with Reckless/Flurry will also see their extra actions amplified for example.

• Thanks 1