TeaCrusader's painting room

TeaCrusader

504509062_Kaerisfullcrew.thumb.jpg.e3eee2f07effb9ab5da39323be3be276.jpg

So I finished my Kaeris crew.

I started by getting and painting the fire golem on a whim, and then realised that the Kaeris core box kinda gave me enough models to base a core crew off of that I could round out with some versatiles I already own.

I have painted so much fire.

Pretty pleased over all. the gamin's faces could definitely use some work but I'm rather happy with the golem, eternal flame and Kaeris herself at least!

I have some WiP shots of several of the crew too but will leave it as the Crew hero shot for now.

• Like 6

Thought it might be worth posting up the process shots for the Fire Golem.

IMG_20190921_211225.thumb.jpg.99c7aeb98297fa4540386ec6b7c094e6.jpg

This is a little way in with a two tone of red, the lighter red layered on top of the darker. Obviously a spray white base coat to help the fire be as vibrant as possible.

IMG_20190922_202509.thumb.jpg.f063edf3138042d438a353df0452fcba.jpg

Then a layer of orange atop the red. Note the lighter colours becoming bands on the base that emanate out from the feet of the model.

IMG_20190924_220901.thumb.jpg.48c8289539bf3629a959f1fc0503c271.jpg

Yellow on top of the orange in ever thinner lines and patches.

IMG_20190925_194338.thumb.jpg.9c17d05b3a84cb2a87776dfff8e30cd8.jpg

Some additional fire details, making the eyes layered up the same as the body and some very small white highlights on the bigger flames.

IMG_20190928_161337.thumb.jpg.0a8095591df97868ec8e818022bf6304.jpg

Then a couple of stages rolled into a final image. Painting all the metal with a black coat with a rough drybrushish coat of dark silver.

Also a loose black coat to the balast on the base which makes it look like black coals lit from below.

Most of these photos represent several sittings each, mostly because the model is huge. Some of the stages (the first springs to mind) might have been better accomplished with a wash or contrast paint but I didn't have any suitable ones at the time.

Hope this is interesting or useful for people.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Graf said:

I'm actually surprised they look quite good to me despite the fact that their fire is painted the wrong way round. Usually stuff like that bothers me a lot more xD. 

Yeah, i kinda started painting the fire golem that way around, realised it wasn't the right way and didn't really want to paint the whole thing again (it's a really big model) 

Figured when it came to the crew that consistency was better than 'realism'.

Glad you still like em though 😃

On 11/7/2019 at 11:48 AM, Nikodemus said:

What's bugging, doc?

Not entirely certain, not hugely pleased with the colour scheme i went with on Sandeep, don't think it's balanced well with the lights and darks. He's got a lot of bland grey on him and i just don't feel like i did anything particularly special with him (though sometimes i do feel like the masters are some of the least inherently interesting sculpts as much as i like the characters.)

As for banasuva, his skins a bit blotchy, cos blue contrast on white is.. unreliable in coverage it seems, and eh. Dunno.. again, partly colour balance.

Fairly happy with my attempt at their bases though.

35 minutes ago, TeaCrusader said:

Not entirely certain, not hugely pleased with the colour scheme i went with on Sandeep, don't think it's balanced well with the lights and darks. He's got a lot of bland grey on him and i just don't feel like i did anything particularly special with him (though sometimes i do feel like the masters are some of the least inherently interesting sculpts as much as i like the characters.)

Not a fan of the sculpt? That'll do it. He did end up a fair bit darker than rest of the gang.

35 minutes ago, TeaCrusader said:

As for banasuva, his skins a bit blotchy, cos blue contrast on white is.. unreliable in coverage it seems, and eh. Dunno.. again, partly colour balance.

I'd imagine that's a thing that's risked whenever washing any large area. Was it unthinned? That can help. I feel this mini in particular would benefit from more "traditional" painting, but I get why you wouldn't. Fire & orange cloths do get a bit muddy together I feel. Might look better with more dramatic fire, or darker cloth maybe, not sure.

Room to tweak & improve sure, but I reckon it looks the part on the table.

What's next on the work desk?

On 11/9/2019 at 5:48 PM, Nikodemus said:

Not a fan of the sculpt? That'll do it. He did end up a fair bit darker than rest of the gang.

It's not so much that i don't like the sculpt.. just that i often find masters to be the least interesting model in a crew for some reason.

I'd imagine that's a thing that's risked whenever washing any large area. Was it unthinned? That can help. I feel this mini in particular would benefit from more "traditional" painting, but I get why you wouldn't. Fire & orange cloths do get a bit muddy together I feel. Might look better with more dramatic fire, or darker cloth maybe, not sure.

Main reason i used the contrast is because we've got this nutso colourful vibrant blue that really works for the whole blue skinned ethereal elemental thing. I just.. well it worked better on Kandara with a blue undercoat mostly.

Definitely need to consider thinning stuff, I've never really played much with mixing paints or playing with them outside of the pot.

Room to tweak & improve sure, but I reckon it looks the part on the table.

Thanks! Glad they are liked!

What's next on the work desk?

Currently finishing up some Wind Gamins, which seem to be going fairly well.

And then I'm kinda half arsing some rail workers and Kang... I don't generally use them much but i should slap myself and get motivated to do a do a decent job.

Otherwise I have a few models in line. Arcane fate, Oxfordian Mages, Asami's core set and Kamaitaichi too.

I encourage you to do your own research and experimentation on the matter, but I happened to come across another comment elsewhere stating that thinning Contrast™ with Lhamian Medium results in a  lot less splotchy result. Worth a test perhaps.

Nice work on the wind gamin.  Did a good job at defining the shadows with these.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2019 at 11:47 AM, Nikodemus said:

I encourage you to do your own research and experimentation on the matter, but I happened to come across another comment elsewhere stating that thinning Contrast™ with Lhamian Medium results in a  lot less splotchy result. Worth a test perhaps.

Nice work on the wind gamin.  Did a good job at defining the shadows with these.

I should really look into using mediums and playing with mixing stuff. It's not anything I've ever played with. 

Also bonus Arcane Effigy!

IMG_20191117_220534.thumb.jpg.1f01b8f94f2da1d6b888fc6898fea049.jpgIMG_20191117_220552.thumb.jpg.b0706e9e0805cff99fead051554d3db1.jpgIMG_20191117_220617.thumb.jpg.3cc24bf9861f4f138abf599a68cb64d3.jpg

Im terrified of painting him all grown up though..

• Like 4

I always say use water if you can get by with just water. Water does a lot, no need to throw in extra stuff if you don't need to. That said I own about ten or so pots of various paint additives and regularly use many of them. I wouldn't say they're necessary, but they do help in some situations, if you know how to use them. Many of them can change how a paint flows or dries, which can make a huge difference if you're just slopping on a thick coat of Contrast™ or something.

Nice Effigy. Arcane is one of the three effigies I've painted. They're among my favourite models in the range. Such cool models.

I've never painted the big bull, so good luck for when you tackle that. Big models are always intimidating. They show off any deficiencies in painting much more readily than smaller models.

• Like 1

I think the colour scheme is fine, it's close enough at split complementary, although the yellow/red parts might have to much surface in relation to blue.

Blotches are always a problem with Washes and contrast. I do not use contrast myself, because I can't see why I should pay that much money for mediocre paints, but experiences with Washes translate at least a little bit.

It's important to not drench the models in paint but apply it in smaller amounts, so less pooling will occur from the start. After applying washes/contrast paints you have to take the time to correct any blotches forming with a moist (not wet!) brush while it settles and dries.

Did you use pure grey for the gray areas? I'm not sure from looking at the pictures. Never paint pure grey. It's the blandest, most boring colour you can use. Always mix in a tiny bit of colour. Personally I most often use blue, sometimes brown for that (depends on the colour scheme).

The biggest issue I see with those models is imho: they look unfinished. Fine for gaming, but really flat. The colours are mostly just mid-tones. You could upgrade them a lot if you add a dark shadow, one or two highlight layers and (especially important for such colourful schemes) separate sections with Blacklining. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wintergloom said:

@TeaCrusader Your painting is awesome, you should join the monthly painting challenge in 2020.

Thanks!

I intend to! It's a really cool thing you guys are all doing on here.

I only hope I can remain a portion as prolific next year as i have been in the last couple of months..

19 minutes ago, TeaCrusader said:

I intend to! It's a really cool thing you guys are all doing on here.

I only hope I can remain a portion as prolific next year as i have been in the last couple of months..

It can be a challenging prospect sure. But at least this year has been accommodating. I don't paint a ton of Wyrd anymore, I just have all I need painted, so for the challenge I was able to pick 1ss minimum to do each month. Worked for me. I've enjoyed the light pressure the challenge adds to my painting routine. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Good lot you got there. I counted 42. More Wyrd than I did all year:D

Any longterm plans for 2020? New masters/keywords coming in or just filling out the current ones?

Well Currently I'm waiting for my black friday stuff to come and help me fill out keywords.

I'm likely to be getting Colette next, though I was holding out for the Coryphee to be released for 3E, no sign yet though. Might look at Ironsides. Maybe fill out Asami's keyword too. Though I'm yet to play her. Sadly most of the crews I want are not out yet (eg. Hoffman). I have a friend who doesn't paint with loads of Gremlins lying around though If I get stuck for stuff to paint. The Mah models are his.

How about you?

Wyrd wise,

Crossroads 7 is all built sans Wrath. Still contemplating whether to do the whole band in a single month/month & half period, or trickling them out along the year.

TT, I have a half painted Samurai since forever that I want done. I have one painted already but it's from many years ago, would like a better painted one plus a chance to hire two if need be. I've got a Charm Warder I really should get done for counter tech purposes. There's a few Monk and Last Blossom things I want eventually. And finally I'm quite excited for Yan Lo and Misaki Core Boxes so I can paint the new sculpts.

Arc, I have Altered Beasts and Steam Arachnids to do. 

There's a bit more than that, Wyrd and otherwise, but those are things I'll realistically want to have painted by the end of 2020.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

And here we are. My full Wildfire crew!

uu90KHw.jpg

dTMD1td.jpg

fEOIR0L.jpg

iKUuQ6J.jpg

Technically I have a couple of firebranded to make and paint, but i'm not likely to use more than the one I don't think (even though I love them) and I reckon I have other stuff I want to move on to.

Pretty pleased with them as an overall crew. I think they look nice and cohesie as a whole crew and I'm proud of them all together. None of them are the best paint job ever (saw an amazing Kaeris crew on a Wyrd place yesterday that made me feel a tad inadequate but what ho) but I am happy with this!

• Like 7