Waldo's Weekly - I Love This Time of Year

mattc

Hey Wyrdos,
After a long day of being at the Harvest Festival, we made the mistake of suggesting that we carve Jack-o-Lanterns to Waldo. Rather than ask us what the term meant, he decided to take the initiative by running around town and stealing lamps and lightbulbs from our neighbors. By the end of it, the beaming expression on his face was the only thing that reminded us of what we were supposed to be doing with the pumpkins in the first place.

So while we walk around in the dark and profusely apologize to those around us, let’s take a look at this Halloween’s special Operation for the Other Side: Carving Day! The Carver has decided that Malifaux is too small a world for him to celebrate and has taken the light jaunt through the Breach to spread his love of the season (with blood, mayhem, and terror, of course).

WaldosWeekly_1016_CarvingDay_Scenario.jpg

When playing Carving Day, we’re introducing a Neutral rule to the game, where Carver plays both sides of the battle. Each player will have the opportunity to take control of the Carver, sending his pumpkin spice-laden shears into their opponents at their whim. But be warned! The Carver has a fickle sense of justice, and can turn his back on those who befriended him in order to spread his special brand of celebration (bloodshed) far and wide.

WaldosWeekly_1016_TheCarver_Card.jpg

For those who are looking to try out the Carver and his Carving Day Operation, you can find all of the rules in this downloadable PDF, or by taking a look at the rules and the Carver’s card above.

Before we go, though, the Carver wants to remind you that there is still time to submit your entry for the Rotten Harvest painting competition. If you don’t have a Carver yet, what better way is there to get your hands on one than by winning Wyrd store credit?

• Like 9

Dear Wyrd,

With all infinite respect for your hard work on our favourite games, I believe these scenarios are not exactly what your loyal players are currently waiting from you. Especially two weeks in a row. Especially considering Waldo's Weekly is only weekly.

Halloween scenarios are all good and well, but some announcements about future Malifaux releases (and also the future of The Other Side — starter box, new allegiances, etc.), LGS support, guilder program and many other things that worry all of us, would be a lot more appreciated at the moment. And a whole week is just too long to wait for another scenario and nothing else, considering complete radio silence the rest of the time — both in news and on the forum.

P.S. All of the above is, of course, my personal opinion. But I'm pretty sure it's shared by at least part of your most active player base.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 9
  • Respectfully Disagree 3

Still no reply for TOS beta :( I overcame my forum-fobia for the first time this year just to apply for the beta cause I love TOS so much, made a nice email with photos and stuff - and still nothing. You are breaking my heart... 

I really liked this scenario...but...really - we want more) just keep it coming...more...and more)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, Tattler said:

Dear Wyrd,

With all infinite respect for your hard work on our favourite games, I believe these scenarios are not exactly what your loyal players are currently waiting from you. Especially two weeks in a row. Especially considering Waldo's Weekly is only weekly.

Halloween scenarios are all good and well, but some announcements about future Malifaux releases (and also the future of The Other Side — starter box, new allegiances, etc.), LGS support, guilder program and many other things that worry all of us, would be a lot more appreciated at the moment. And a whole week is just too long to wait for another scenario and nothing else, considering complete radio silence the rest of the time — both in news and on the forum.

P.S. All of the above is, of course, my personal opinion. But I'm pretty sure it's shared by at least part of your most active player base.

Thanks for presenting your opinion without being overly negative. That's sometimes a tightrope that is hard to walk on.

And I can see what you're saying. Our more competitive and hardcore players might want to see the latest and greatest on a weekly basis. Who doesn't like art and character reveals? 

But, sadly, that's not realistic, for multiple factors. 

For one, we don't just make Malifaux. Waldo's Weekly is going to cover all of our games. Not every TOS player enjoys Malifaux, and not every Malifaux player enjoys Through the Breach. That's fine with us. But we're still going to utilize Waldo's Weekly to talk about all of our game lines.

And across all of those games, we have players of all types, ranging from more casual players who want to play a story encounter once a week or month to the most competitive player who needs to be at every tournament. Our aim is to accommodate all of those players - but it would be impossible for us to do that on a weekly basis. 

For future Malifaux releases, I would suggest bookmarking our Upcoming Releases page. That's the best place to see what's coming up in the short future. https://www.wyrd-games.net/upcoming-releases For far future Malifaux stuff, it would not make sense for us to show off new characters now. For one, it's a distraction for what's coming soon, and when they actually do come out, it might be a while from when we reveal them. That's just not a great strategy. If you're looking for art of characters that haven't come out yet, you can find those great pieces by scooping up a Faction book (or seven) or by downloading the Crew Builder app for free. 

Looking back on the last two months of Waldo's Weeklies (which is the same time frame as we used to have for a single Chronicles issue), we've shown off a lot of upcoming content, especially for The Other Side's Starter Box and upcoming Allegiances. We definitely plan on talking about those more in the future.

We enjoy these special Encounters. They are a brief reprieve from the competitive space and allow our minds to relax and just enjoy a crazy game. We will definitely be releasing more of this type of content in the future, because we're not the only ones who enjoy taking a break while still enjoying the games. 

As for the other stuff you mention that you'd like to see, I'm in agreement there. But we'll be giving out news for that sort of stuff when it's ready. Our aim for Waldo's Weekly is to reach out to the community - sometimes that means a reveal and other times that means a new way to play, but it's never intended to be the channel we use to discuss those sorts of issues. 

Not every Waldo's Weekly is catered to our entire community. That's an impossible task that we're not even going to try to accomplish. Sometimes we want to have a little fun. If we didn't strike your fancy one week, keep an eye out for the next one. Or the one after that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

For future Malifaux releases, I would suggest bookmarking our Upcoming Releases page. That's the best place to see what's coming up in the short future. https://www.wyrd-games.net/upcoming-releases For far future Malifaux stuff, it would not make sense for us to show off new characters now. For one, it's a distraction for what's coming soon, and when they actually do come out, it might be a while from when we reveal them. That's just not a great strategy. If you're looking for art of characters that haven't come out yet, you can find those great pieces by scooping up a Faction book (or seven) or by downloading the Crew Builder app for free. 

On a related note, I've had occasion to be grateful for the release schedule recently: I'm a new player and the Guild masters I'm most curious about (Lucius, Perdita, Dashel) aren't out yet, but that's given me the opportunity to really learn and enjoy Nellie and Basse's crews. Nellie I would have got into regardless (I love playing pacifist leaders in conflict games!) but Basse I probably would have passed on ... and TOTALLY MISSED the crazy hijinks of Home on the Range stacking from its "+X" factor! I'm not sure it's super good for tournaments, but it's a blast for casual games, especially early on right now when more people are playing in-keyword and a build with synergies like that can stand up well enough.