Call Me Slow: The Ephemeral Yokai Experience

Jesy Blue

In the latest installment of our "Call Me Slow" web series, I just realized that when you summon a Yokai, it gets a Flicker Token.... so you can place it 3" away immediately.

Please proceed to call in and tell me how behind the curve I've been.

• Like 1

Interesting... Suppose you can leverage those extra 2" of range on mother's love and reaching tendrils. Not sure those 2" will make a huge differences in most cases...

Although.... The yokai's ephemeral ability resolves after current "Action" (with a capital A)... They gain the flicker during the ability (not an action) so I THINK that the place can interrupt the txt on the upgrade.... So it gets summoned, upgrade attaches gains 2 flicker token THEN can place 3" THEN can scoop up scrap and corpse markers... Now THAT could be relevant. Especially for such a flicker hungry summon....

What do people think? Is my logic flawed? Does this potentially make yokai a more attractive summon? (Opinions are decided from what I can tell with some prominent, tournament winning 10T players shunning them for katashiro or obsidian Oni 9/10)

• Like 1

Yokai are the more attractive summon for Asami, because you hire Katashiro and/or use Rei to summon/resummon them. 

Corrupted Essence is the real big sell for Yokai; summoning them onto Turf War and Corrupted Idols is key as they get a Don't Mind Me interact bonus action, and the meanest Plant Explosives play of picking up enemy bombs with no one else around and flickering out so the bomb disappear from the game.

13 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

Yokai are the more attractive summon for Asami, because you hire Katashiro and/or use Rei to summon/resummon them. 

I can see that. I especially like using Rei.

13 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

Corrupted Essence is the real big sell for Yokai; summoning them onto Turf War and Corrupted Idols is key as they get a Don't Mind Me interact bonus action, and the meanest Plant Explosives play of picking up enemy bombs with no one else around and flickering out so the bomb disappear from the game.

Flickering out bombs sounds HILARIOUS!  Especially doing in right in combat with the enemy... Walk, charge them, snot them in the nose, maybe even gaining flicker if you want/need too while doing it, then take the bomb from under their nose, place *just* outside of 3" from the enemy and *poof* gone.... Love it, can't wait to try it..

10 minutes ago, Ogid said:

Nice tricks, however mind these are 2 turns tactics with summoned Yokais because they cannot interact the turn they are summoned.

Yeah, seems like this could be where Asami's mastery lies. Knowing when to summon something that will help *now* ves something you'll need Next turn. Could lead to a less impactful turn 2 say, before a bigger turn 3....

Or would it be better to summon your scheming yokai turn 1 before burning it out turn 2. Tricky. If only the trigger to lose a flicker was after resolving... (pipe dreams)

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, frumpypigskin said:

Yeah, seems like this could be where Asami's mastery lies. Knowing when to summon something that will help *now* ves something you'll need Next turn. Could lead to a less impactful turn 2 say, before a bigger turn 3....

Or would it be better to summon your scheming yokai turn 1 before burning it out turn 2. Tricky. If only the trigger to lose a flicker was after resolving... (pipe dreams)

I'm a simple man... If the there are less than 3 Jorogumos, I summon a Jorogumo :P

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Another one who didn't notice that interaction...

On the topic of Asami and Minako, anybody considered the wonder Weasel to get an easy 2 card draw per turn from it? 3 if the enemy is also a summoner? or is 4 point insignificant a still too sour pill to be worth it?

Ans since we consider Minako, anybody gone full tilt and also brought Misaki into the party? Suddenly those Katashiro don't need the scrap anymore and Misaki is a god tier harraser/schemer anyway, so it's not like you aren't getting some good shit out of it.

Oh yeah, I bring her in for certain pools.  Sometimes I take 2 Akaname and drop scrap immediately and summon both Katashiro turn 1.  Other times I hire all three and run them together on a flank, if an Oni die, they leave scrap and Rei resummons it, with a Wanyudo usually to follow.

I did not like Rei nor Wanyudo in second... I litterally bought the whole box JUST for Katashiro, and almost gave the rest away.  3rd turned me around on both of these Ten Thunders models!

If it wasn't Insignificant, I might bite the bullet and take it.

If it kept Dust Devil markers in play, I might think about using it.

If it could be summoned, I could see myself bringing one in occasionally.

If it didn't need a Flicker Token on it first to summon a Dust Devil marker, I could legitimize it's use.

It is literally is bad on all fronts... nothing positive about it.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

If it wasn't Insignificant, I might bite the bullet and take it.

If it kept Dust Devil markers in play, I might think about using it.

If it could be summoned, I could see myself bringing one in occasionally.

If it didn't need a Flicker Token on it first to summon a Dust Devil marker, I could legitimize it's use.

It is literally is bad on all fronts... nothing positive about it.

you can bring it against som'er, Ulix, Hamelin... And its only use will be to draw a few cards. But that's not the subject here.

About Yokaï, I was not convinced at first, before trying them. Then I summoned one and the turn after it was summoned it :
- gain a flicker activating : placed into base contact with an ennemy Explosive Marker
- interact to take the bomb.
:ToS-Fast:to gain flicker and place itself on the center line, drop the bomb with the interact.
- interact to drop a scheme (or remove one from my opponent).
3 VP in a single activation, GOT YA !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bedjy said:

:ToS-Fast:to gain flicker and place itself on the center line, drop the bomb with the interact.
- interact to drop a scheme (or remove one from my opponent).
3 VP in a single activation, GOT YA !

Ephemeral warrior happens "after resolving the current action (if any)" 

You gain the flicker when you pay the cost during the (current) action. So would interact THEN place. At least this would be my interpretation... 

So you'd have to bonus to pick it up. Then place and double interact normally, one for Strategy one for scheme. This way is better anyway cos you can pick up their bomb from within their engagement range 🤣

7 hours ago, frumpypigskin said:

Ephemeral warrior happens "after resolving the current action (if any)" 

You gain the flicker when you pay the cost during the (current) action. So would interact THEN place. At least this would be my interpretation... 

So you'd have to bonus to pick it up. Then place and double interact normally, one for Strategy one for scheme. This way is better anyway cos you can pick up their bomb from within their engagement range 🤣

So you would use the bonus to interact first, then use regular interact actions from there. Works the same, just a different order of operation.

• Like 1